• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns ranked #7 edge rusher in league by NFL execs, coaches, and scouts

thunderraiden

17 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I just don't care anymore. This all started because you basically claimed Burns doesn't deserve to be ranked 7th. I said then, and I'll say it again. You have your opinion. And the rest of us have another. I'll take the word of ppl who are actually in the NFL over yours. 

It just proves my point that too many Panther fans undervalue their own players. 

I mean, your reading comprehension still needs work boss.  I mean, I have literally said I got no issue w/ Burns being rated the #7 pass rusher.  That's literally his bread and butter.   

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, your reading comprehension still needs work boss.  I mean, I have literally said I got no issue w/ Burns being rated the #7 pass rusher.  That's literally his bread and butter.   

I read goodly enough to see through you. Panthers run D bad. Burns bad. Rabble rabble rabble.

If you show me 1 stat that shows Burns is a liability in the run game. I may reconsider my stance. 

Now go ahead and reply again. You repeat yourself more than an 8 track.

19 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

If you show me 1 stat that shows Burns is a liability in the run game. I may reconsider my stance. 

I mean, that is just watching the game.   And it's been steadily acknowledged here for years now. 

PFF ranked Burns as the 65th DE out of 119 players last year.  Yet they don't deny his ability to get to the QB.   Which he is great at pressuring the QB. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, that is just watching the game.   And it's been steadily acknowledged here for years now.

Anyone who watches the game with more than a casual understanding of football knows Burns is sub-par against the run. He gets a lot of assists from pursuit, which he does well, but as far as stopping the run at the point of attack, he needs improvement. We'll see how that goes this year. I'm hoping he earns that massive contract coming his way.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Just now, Pup McBarky said:

Anyone who watches the game with more than a casual understanding of football knows Burns is sub-par against the run. He gets a lot of assists from pursuit, which he does well, but as far as stopping the run at the point of attack, he needs improvement. We'll see how that goes this year. I'm hoping he earns that massive contract coming his way.

This post should be pinned

• Beer 2

I know there are several forum about Brian Burns and his contract. I’ve been researching and taking in other DE contracts. Compared to others I’d just give y’all ideals of a possible contract.

IMO

24.5M/yr

4 year contract: 24.5x4=$98M
5 year contract: 24.5x5=$122.5M

IMO 

Guaranteed:$72M on 4yr deal

Guaranteed:$90M on 5yr deal

On 7/10/2023 at 1:51 PM, KSpan said:

What's quaint is this assertion of disrespect/fans don't appreciate/'insert similar comment here' present in a given fanbase, as if there aren't differing opinions across every team in the sports world. I live here in KC, arguably the top of the NFL for several years now, and there are people complaining about the fanbase. Hell, even certain players were whining about it in recent years. The whole 'fanbase doesn't appreciate...' take is incredibly stale and unoriginal.

Yup, there are hordes of people claiming Burns sucks. You're right on the money...

And speaking of stale, 'hater' is about the most meaningless word out there these days.

It's only a stale take to those who take the good in what they have for granted and paint it as a "grass is greener" answer. The grass always gets greener where you water it. And under no circumstances would trading the only semblance of a pass rush we have, for a what if would be good for this team. Retaining burns is a priority. Surrounding him with help on the other edge is equally as Important. Your only stating this as if your coming from a stand point of logic. And logically your argument is flawed.  A hater isn't a useless word, it's trendy, or another way of saying cynic or a doubter. Some who has a strong dislike towards someone or something. And I think you should admit that, at least, you don't believe in burns as a long term option.

• Beer 1

It’s not that Burns isn’t worth it or sucks. It’s the CMC scenario. If this franchise is too inept to get someone to put across from him and base everyone around one player he absolutely is worth trading for picks.

Not the player, it’s this moronic franchise. Pretty common among the bottom dwellers.

• Poo 1

7 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

It's only a stale take to those who take the good in what they have for granted and paint it as a "grass is greener" answer. The grass always gets greener where you water it. And under no circumstances would trading the only semblance of a pass rush we have, for a what if would be good for this team. Retaining burns is a priority. Surrounding him with help on the other edge is equally as Important. Your only stating this as if your coming from a stand point of logic. And logically your argument is flawed.  A hater isn't a useless word, it's trendy, or another way of saying cynic or a doubter. Some who has a strong dislike towards someone or something. And I think you should admit that, at least, you don't believe in burns as a long term option.

Defense of the word 'hater' followed by a claim of 'strong dislike' when literally no one has said they don't like Burns... you're already showing your own bias. Other posts including some of my own have already addressed all of this.

On 7/11/2023 at 3:40 PM, stratocatter said:

People just want to stop the run, and the pass. That’s it. Not personal. I hope the new defensive scheme maximizes him.  

I want to hold the other to as least points as possible. I do not care if young fumbles on the other team gets the ball on the 3 yard line. Stop them form getting a TD, or better return the TO on them. 

The league pays players that can upset QBs. 0.99 can do that, sure his run defense needs improvement, but guess what....in a 3-4 he will be in coverage on a few plays now, defending the run doesnt matter as much now when hes on a slot WR.

I bet the huddle will be crying about his coverage skills by week 5.....something new hes learning as i type..

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

I want to hold the other to as least points as possible. I do not care if young fumbles on the other team gets the ball on the 3 yard line. Stop them form getting a TD, or better return the TO on them. 

The league pays players that can upset QBs. 0.99 can do that, sure his run defense needs improvement, but guess what....in a 3-4 he will be in coverage on a few plays now, defending the run doesnt matter as much now when hes on a slot WR.

I bet the huddle will be crying about his coverage skills by week 5.....something new hes learning as i type..

On your last point, I don’t agree. Honestly, his athleticism covering passes/catching interceptions was on display at the combine. I was correct that he’d score a TD as a rookie but I thought it would be on an interception. He looked very fluid on the pass defense drills and has shown great skill defending passes. TBH, I’ve seen more complaints about him being in pass coverage when that’s a much bigger strength than run D.

I’m in a weird spot in that I wanted the trade with the Rams because I think in addition to pick 36 this year, those two firsts would have been top 10 picks because the Rams might have lost McVay and gone full rebuild. I also think 3-4 OLB may be the perfect fit because his athleticism with lack of DE size allow him to cover well when needed and rush the passer when needed. I think Burns could have a great year if Brown and the other DL do their job.

33 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I’m in a weird spot in that I wanted the trade with the Rams because I think in addition to pick 36 this year, those two firsts would have been top 10 picks because the Rams might have lost McVay and gone full rebuild.

This is a key point that seems to get lost in the discussion. It wasn't just about "2 picks", ignoring that many forget about the very high 2nd rounder we would've had this year as well, it was that there is a strong likelihood those picks end up pretty high in the draft. Of course 2 picks at the bottom of the 1st round aren't as valuable as 2 at the top.

What's done is done though and hopefully Burns can round out his game and take a big step this year. 

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

This is a key point that seems to get lost in the discussion. It wasn't just about "2 picks", ignoring that many forget about the very high 2nd rounder we would've had this year as well, it was that there is a strong likelihood those picks end up pretty high in the draft. Of course 2 picks at the bottom of the 1st round aren't as valuable as 2 at the top.

What's done is done though and hopefully Burns can round out his game and take a big step this year. 

People were going beyond ignoring where those Ram picks would have been, they were trying to sell the idea that they were going to be at bottom quarter of the respective first rounds.  That made me wonder what Rams team they were looking at. 

The Rams team that made that offer was desperately trying to cling to one more run despite the fact that they were sliding fast.  Burns would have made them a little better, but he alone was not going to stop the slide, let alone vault them to Chiefs-Bengals-Bills-Eagles-Niners level.  Like the Bucs, the Rams went all-in to win an Owl, they did it, but the piper needs to be paid for the effort.

I was all for taking that deal, too.  At the time we were trying to shoe-horn a guy that looks like a 3-4 OLB into a 4-3 DE position.  The less than stellar results at stopping the run make that an awkward fit.  Now we are a base 3-4 team, which alters that equation quite a bit.  I think he has a chance to showcase what he does well while the system minimizes his weaknesses.

• Pie 1