• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My dog needs thunder anxiety relief

Paa Langfart

her anxiety during storms (which there have been a shiton of here this summer )  seems to be growing worse.  Years past I gave my dogs acepromazine.  Now I find out that the ace may have actually made their fear worse.  I am looking for some recommendations as to what works for your pets with noise anxiety issues.

My dog is afraid of everything!! We have used trazadone (a little helpful) colcalm (sp?) Not helpful at all. He's on fluoxetine and it's been really helpful for him.  He slept through all the fireworks this year and normally he's shaking under my legs. We've been using this gum gel called sileo when we know there's going to be loud noises a head of time but we didn't use it on Friday because we didn't expect people to still be shooting off fireworks and he still did fine.  He will jump in our pool and fetch his toys now too but we did buy him a life jacket as well

• Pie 1

One of my dogs has terrible thunderstorm/firework anxiety. 

We tried vests, calming bites, etc. Nothing worked for her until we upgraded from a wire crate to a legit kennel. She loves hers and goes into it sometimes just to sleep/relax. It functions as a den or cave of sorts for her and it's definitely her safe space lol. Not sure if it'll work for your pupper, but just sharing what worked for us. 

https://rufflandkennels.com/product-category/kennels/

• Pie 3

I've used a thunder jacket on my oldest as he just loses it when there are thunder storms, hunters in the woods and July 4th. It works as long as you know ahead of time there is going to be noise (July 4th). But try to put it on and expect results after he's already heard whatever the noise is and they aren't worth crap.

Dogs sense the barometric pressure change and, given they hear twice as many frequencies and from 4 times the distance we can, if there's any way to get the jacket on before, it will work. But, he's over 8 years old and nothing will change at this point. So, when there's a thunderclap and he's running around the back acre barking at the sky... well....

Not much for doing the drug thing, but benadryl works also.

• Pie 2

Our dog used the thunder shirt ,wrap, jacket.  It worked to an extent, but even then he'd want to be so close to you and still shaking bad.  
We did use medication.  I hated it, but he literally couldn't handle fireworks and thunder.  For fireworks we could start it earlier in the day because we knew it was coming. He still didn't like it but wasn't as bad as without it. Thunderboomers just show up, and the thunder jacket was the best option.  And holding him.. It's what we do for our pets.

• Pie 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, Paa Langfart said:

her anxiety during storms (which there have been a shiton of here this summer )  seems to be growing worse.  Years past I gave my dogs acepromazine.  Now I find out that the ace may have actually made their fear worse.  I am looking for some recommendations as to what works for your pets with noise anxiety issues.

I had a vet once that recommended valerian root.  It is natural and has no side effects.  It is in  drug stores for people and is cheap and worth a try.  Will not work for all dogs but does for some.  This vet used to practice in Florida so he had plenty of experience.  Have to give it every day during storm season.. helps the dog handle stress...will not be drugged or groggy.  You can research  online for the dosage for the weight of your dog.

Like I said...cheap and nothing to loose.  Can buy at Walmart in the vitamin section.

Good luck...hope it helps your dog.  Hard to watch them be so scared.

• Pie 4

Lots of thunder starting very early this morning, around 3 or so. Not much sleep and Master of Disaster went nuts, barking and crying. Wife actually got up and sat with him and held him for a while.

Seems like he's getting more reactive the older he gets...

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Beer 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:32 PM, ladypanther said:

I had a vet once that recommended valerian root.  It is natural and has no side effects.  It is in  drug stores for people and is cheap and worth a try.  Will not work for all dogs but does for some.  This vet used to practice in Florida so he had plenty of experience.  Have to give it every day during storm season.. helps the dog handle stress...will not be drugged or groggy.  You can research  online for the dosage for the weight of your dog.

Like I said...cheap and nothing to loose.  Can buy at Walmart in the vitamin section.

Good luck...hope it helps your dog.  Hard to watch them be so scared.

Any dosing recommendations based on weight? I'd prefer a more organic or holistic approach and I may give this a try.

We had a dog that was terrified of thunderstorms as he got older, and tried a thing called Rescue Remedy that seemed to work for him.  The original formula is a blend of flower remedies and alcohol.  They also have a non-alcohol version.

The drawback is that you really need to give it to them before the chaos starts for it to be effective.

The problem with all these things is every dog reacts differently, it seems.