• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much should Bryce play in the preseason?

t96

Since we're still 9 days away from camp and it's boring as fug in the nfl world why not discuss this. Obviously Reich will do whatever he sees best and we have no impact but still will be interesting to see how much run Bryce gets in the preseason.

Personally I'd play him in every game for at least a few series and have 1 game where he gets the full first half with starters. With 3 preseason games now I'm not really clear on how teams treat it, used to be the 3rd out of 4 games would have both teams' starters (minus a few vets) for the entire 1st half, not sure there's a unanimous league wide approach like that any more though. Important to note too with the Jets joint practices we may have some scrimmages that can serve a similar purpose to preseason action.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Since we're still 9 days away from camp and it's boring as fug in the nfl world why not discuss this. Obviously Reich will do whatever he sees best and we have no impact but still will be interesting to see how much run Bryce gets in the preseason.

Personally I'd play him in every game for at least a few series and have 1 game where he gets the full first half with starters. With 3 preseason games now I'm not really clear on how teams treat it, used to be the 3rd out of 4 games would have both teams' starters (minus a few vets) for the entire 1st half, not sure there's a unanimous league wide approach like that any more though. Important to note too with the Jets joint practices we may have some scrimmages that can serve a similar purpose to preseason action.

as much as possible with some matt corral sprinkled in

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

First half of first 2 games. Maybe one series in game 3.

I think that is about right, except in game 3 I would make it gauge it on how he has looked in the first two and camp.  If his timing and anticipation with his receivers and OL is good, then a series to a quarter in game 3.

• Pie 2

Used to be the 3rd game was treated like a real game. 1st half, halftime where adjustments are made, 1 maybe 2 drives in the 3rd. Gets everybody that real game feel. 

Not sure how Frank wants it done. But I suspect it will all come down to how comfortable he is with Bryce. The less Bryce plays, the more Frank trusts him.

Or...Something totally different happens. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, chknwing said:

I think he should play as much as possible but to be honest I kinda want to know what Dalton has left in the tank.

Dalton has had a full career. He isn't the one that needs the work. Corral is the one that needs the work. We have to find out what the kid has. Is he worth keeping for the future? Will he show enough for some team to come calling? 

Bryce should get some work, but Corral should get a whole bunch of snaps. 

Edit to add; Bryce should get exactly the amount of work Frank wants him to get. Then let Corral loose. Dalton can get his reps in practice. 

Edited by Gerry Green
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would much rather see corral with the 1's or 2's then dalton. 

Same here

I basically want to see Bryce and Corral just alternate Quarters with the 1s but I know that's not going to happen.

Realistically Bryce probably plays 1st half of first 2 games and maybe first quarter of the 3rd. 

The real curiosity is if they will just throw Corral out there in garbage time with the 3s and 4s again or will he actually get some snaps with decent players. 

Andy Dalton is a known quantity. BRYCE is the number one overall pick. If anything Corral should be getting a ton of snaps to either massively inflate his trade value or simply see how good or bad he is in general,  because he's a huge unknown factor. 

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Byrdman4real said:

Corral should get most of the snaps, bryce should get 1 or 2 series one game and 1 half one game. 

IMO, it all comes down to how satisfied Frank is with Bryces' progress. We have those scrimmages with the Jets as well.

But I think most agree that Matt needs to get some work with the 1s and the 2s. We have to find out what we have in him. 

• Beer 1

47 minutes ago, chknwing said:

I kinda want to know what Dalton has left in the tank.

In our final game of the season last year he lost to Darnold who finished the game with one of the ten worst passer ratings of all time. Pretty sure we already know the answer to that.

Edited by frankw

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

I think he should play as much as possible but to be honest I kinda want to know what Dalton has left in the tank.

I get the reasoning with Dalton but at this point in his career I don't think he needs the reps at all, even in a new system. He wasn't the worst starter in the league last year with the Aints and should be a capable backup for us regardless of how much run he gets in preseason/camp. Generally agree with Bryce playing as much as possible but not sure I want him out there with our backup OL, nor do I see much point in him playing in the 2nd halves vs 3rd stringers.

• Pie 1