• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer on Edge Rushers

NAS

Fitt admitted on NFL radio yesterday that lack of premier edge rushers on the opposite side of Burns will be a weakness that Evero and his staff will have to scheme around during the season. It will essentially be pass rush “by committee” (his words) and mentioned how will have to rotate based on scheme and situation. It sounded like he is still open to adding more but that free agents are too expensive and teams put a premium on pass rushers and won’t easily let them go.

He talked a lot how much he trusts this coaching staff and Evero to maximize the abilities of this roster

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

I'm betting we have that guy on team at the moment, he just hasn't had that moment to shine yet. The change from 4-3 to 3-4, along with a coaching change in general, means we have no real way to predict who will emerge here.

No one expected Frankie Luvu to take off like he did, but all it took was time on the field and well, just wow.

Personally, I want to see Barno just show out and win the starting spot across from Burns. 

• Pie 5

28 minutes ago, csx said:

Reich seemed ecstatic about what they have seen from Luvu. I think they might be pleasantly surprised by the options they have already.

Ultimately I think we see Luvu as the opposite starting OLB in the base 3-4 and lined up/rotated in as edge rusher in passing situations. Hence the need for a guy like Deon Jones to rotate in as the extra backer with Shaq.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Ultimately I think we see Luvu as the opposite starting OLB in the base 3-4 and lined up/rotated in as edge rusher in passing situations. Hence the need for a guy like Deon Jones to rotate in as the extra backer with Shaq.

Agree....or at least they will move Luvu around a lot while trying to develop the younger guys. That's always been his thing. He can do a number of things well. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You can't fix everything in one offseason.  Next year they will go hard for edge and wr help. Probably a CB or 2 as well.

We better, we currently stand around $80 mill in cap space for next year with rollover and the easy restructuring thing we do each offseason.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He is still pretty raw, but Barno seems like a player that’s going to play much better in the 3-4. I haven’t heard much about him in TC but I think he hopefully makes a leap soon as a key rotational player. 

His speed alone could make him a problem as an edge in a 3-4.  Look at Micah Parsons for the Cowboys.  Hes not the biggest or strongest, hes just incredibly quick and fast coming off the edge in their D. 

• Pie 2

47 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Especially since we will probably be in a lot of nickle as opposed to a base 3-4 D.  That leaves only 2 LBs in the game anyways.  If we have Luvu as more of a pass rusher, I think Jones and Shaq could do just fine.