• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCall is the NT

Martin

So excited to see this legit base 3-4 defense with a great young DC who's hungry. Dipped our toes in 3-4 too much in the past with other staff and not just going for it!

Signing Evero is as big as everyone was making it out when it happened. Putting every player in the best position to win. Shifting DBrown to where he is now and coaching McCall up to put him at NT is amazing.....

This dude wouldn't have even sniffed 1st team with Fox, Rivera or Fhules staff. If Panthers Defense is top 5 this year or even top 10 Evero is gone somewhere unfortunately. Gunna enjoy while he's here tho!

• Pie 1

Rashad from PnP said what I’d been preaching - name the talent that Ejero had to work with in DEN. And still made that defense what it was with essentially only a good secondary (no real pass rushing threats). I won’t get into why Horn is better than PS2 but I firmly believe it. We don’t have a Simmons but we’ve got a great group of guys in back. As well as monstrous LB and even good edge variety. We also don’t play Mahomes, Herbert twice a year. I think we’re gonna shock people.

9 hours ago, Eric4280 said:

Rashad from PnP said what I’d been preaching - name the talent that Ejero had to work with in DEN. And still made that defense what it was with essentially only a good secondary (no real pass rushing threats). I won’t get into why Horn is better than PS2 but I firmly believe it. We don’t have a Simmons but we’ve got a great group of guys in back. As well as monstrous LB and even good edge variety. We also don’t play Mahomes, Herbert twice a year. I think we’re gonna shock people.

Dude, Denver had been running the 3-4 since like 2014 and their defense finished top 10 in pts allowed twice in the past 4 years, including 3rd in 2021, and top half 4 of the last 5. Evero appears to have a strong brand but this 'Denver magic' was rolling with Fangio before he got there. He had a good base to work with and did well with it - that 'what did Denver have?!?' narrative is just inaccurate.

10 hours ago, BEASTfromdaEAST said:

So excited to see this legit base 3-4 defense with a great young DC who's hungry. Dipped our toes in 3-4 too much in the past with other staff and not just going for it!

Signing Evero is as big as everyone was making it out when it happened. Putting every player in the best position to win. Shifting DBrown to where he is now and coaching McCall up to put him at NT is amazing.....

This dude wouldn't have even sniffed 1st team with Fox, Rivera or Fhules staff. If Panthers Defense is top 5 this year or even top 10 Evero is gone somewhere unfortunately. Gunna enjoy while he's here tho!

Capers is his advisor and mentor so I don't think if Evero leaves we won't have a similar defense without him.  Hopefully, he stays two years and we get compensation for him when he does go.

9 hours ago, Eric4280 said:

Actually, I do believe we have a better Simmons in Chinn. 

There has been so much focus on the offense and Young's growth that our defense is well under the radar.  From Evero being at the helm to each starting position filled with good players.  Health will be important for the backend, but this defense is going to help us win a lot of game.  

I am excited about McCall being in the middle.  He had to be leaps and bounds better for us to release two players that were in competition with him.  

16 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Capers is his advisor and mentor so I don't think if Evero leaves we won't have a similar defense without him.  Hopefully, he stays two years and we get compensation for him when he does go.

Actually, I do believe we have a better Simmons in Chinn. 

There has been so much focus on the offense and Young's growth that our defense is well under the radar.  From Evero being at the helm to each starting position filled with good players.  Health will be important for the backend, but this defense is going to help us win a lot of game.  

I am excited about McCall being in the middle.  He had to be leaps and bounds better for us to release two players that were in competition with him.  

Penisini retired before 2022 and was on PUP/ released because of a failed physical, and Roy was always a Rhule JAG. Good that McCall is performing but the bar is low here.

Regarding Chinn, he's very talented but also a very different player than Simmons, who is a free safety voted the best safety in football by NFL execs & players just a year ago. Y'all are just nuts with some of these takes 

"Just how good is Simmons? ESPN polled more than 50 NFL executives, coaches, and players to compile a list of the top 10 players at each position. Simmons checked in as the No. 1 safety in the league according to his peers. "

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/justin-simmons-nfl-top-safety-espn-poll

45 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Dude, Denver had been running the 3-4 since like 2014 and their defense finished top 10 in pts allowed twice in the past 4 years, including 3rd in 2021, and top half 4 of the last 5. Evero appears to have a strong brand but this 'Denver magic' was rolling with Fangio before he got there. He had a good base to work with and did well with it - that 'what did Denver have?!?' narrative is just inaccurate.

I’m talking individual talent wise. There is no way you’re taking Denver’s personnel over ours. It’s not inaccurate. I’m hyping up that whatever Denver gets, is maximized by their scheme and philosophy. Having that plus a defense with so many weapons… is a recipe for something special. It’s crazy how people draw the negative in anything, lol. I say Denver has had mostly replaceable talent and it’s in question. Please tell me which individuals from that team you’d take over ours.

42 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

I’m talking individual talent wise. There is no way you’re taking Denver’s personnel over ours. It’s not inaccurate. I’m hyping up that whatever Denver gets, is maximized by their scheme and philosophy. Having that plus a defense with so many weapons… is a recipe for something special. It’s crazy how people draw the negative in anything, lol. I say Denver has had mostly replaceable talent and it’s in question. Please tell me which individuals from that team you’d take over ours.

Your point was just wrong though. Even if Denver did have mostly replaceable talent they did it for years before Evero, and last year ooked an awful lot like Carolina's roster but better. Better across the DL with consistent multi-year performance, no Burns at edge but better run defenders at LB, and better in the secondary both talent wise and because they can all stay healthy.

This notion of 'nothing to work with is just wrong and yeah, I would take a number of those guys from last year over Carolina guys based on talent - Williams/Jones and their consistent 8-10 sacks a year between them even before Evero over 2 of 3 projected Carolina DL starters (and maybe even Brown), Browning or even Gregory over YGM, Surtain/Simmons over anyone in the secondary, Jackson over either Woods or Bell, and Donte wasn't that good and definitely inconsistent before the Achilles let alone after so maybe even another corner too.

Many of those guys did produce before Evero, evidenced by the top 10 finishes in 2 of the 3 years before him. They're just better players in a number of spots, even if only a little at times, and it is what it is.

Edited by KSpan

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Penisini retired before 2022 and was on PUP/ released because of a failed physical, and Roy was always a Rhule JAG. Good that McCall is performing but the bar is low here.

Regarding Chinn, he's very talented but also a very different player than Simmons, who is a free safety voted the best safety in football by NFL execs & players just a year ago. Y'all are just nuts with some of these takes 

"Just how good is Simmons? ESPN polled more than 50 NFL executives, coaches, and players to compile a list of the top 10 players at each position. Simmons checked in as the No. 1 safety in the league according to his peers. "

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/justin-simmons-nfl-top-safety-espn-poll

If you remember Chinn outplayed Simmon their first year in the league.  I wasn't Chinn's fault that he was underutilized in our defense.  Chinn this year will show he's just as good as Simmons.  Most don't give any Carolina players their proper due.  I am not saying Simmons is overrated either I just believe that Chinn is highly underrated. 

While I agree Roy was a Rhule guy you don't normally jettison a player off the 90-man roster unless you are certain someone (McCall) has won the position.  

You appear to think that your takes are more accurate than others.   

17 hours ago, Castavar said:

Also just noticed, I knew he was big, but that motherfugger is 6'3 344lbs 👀

And if this guy could find a motor similar to Warren Sapp, sky is the limit. Now, I'm not saying he could be Warren Sapp, I'm just saying if he can find some inspiration on the way the best DT's approached the game he could have a great future in the NFL with hard work and determination. We'll wait and see, but all signs says he has the drive and motivation. And yeah, he was UNDRAFTED!!!

59 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If you remember Chinn outplayed Simmon their first year in the league.  I wasn't Chinn's fault that he was underutilized in our defense.  Chinn this year will show he's just as good as Simmons.  Most don't give any Carolina players their proper due.  I am not saying Simmons is overrated either I just believe that Chinn is highly underrated. 

While I agree Roy was a Rhule guy you don't normally jettison a player off the 90-man roster unless you are certain someone (McCall) has won the position.  

You appear to think that your takes are more accurate than others.   

I tend to agree with you. I understand what the other guy is saying, but here's the deal... coaching matters!!

Rule and company were abysmal. It's a part of Panthers history I wish we could erase.

But, I think with the coaches we have now, you are going to see a vastly different, yet efficient defense. 

It may take a few games for everyone to gel, but with this coaching staff I feel a different vibe.

Of course, we've gotten our hopes up before just to get them crushed. So, lets just watch the preseason, see what the energy of the team is. The best thing about preseason is that by the 2nd or 3rd game you can tell if the players are buying into the program. We'll soon find out.