• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

how important is it that we win preseason games?

rayzor

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

history says you don't want to go winless.  That's about it.   

But why/how would it matter?

I honestly can't think of anything more irrelevant than a win or a loss in preseason except maybe a pro bowl game.

Why/how does a preseason record carry weight into the regular season?

I would love to win every game if possible, but I don't think preseason is about winning.

Preseason is for those borderline players who are trying to make a roster spot. It's very important for those players to stand out in preseason. For the starters I think the key for them is just stay healthy and play good football in the limited snaps they get before the season.

It doesn't matter but I wish it did.  I wish they'd make preseason record the last playoff tiebreaker before coin flip.  That way, it wouldn't matter enough to make coaches and teams have to adjust their plans for it but it would be more fun for the fans.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I honestly can't think of anything more irrelevant than a win or a loss in preseason except maybe a pro bowl game.

It probably has something to do with the fact that the teams couldn't produce a lineup that could win at least 1 game. If you think about, the starters should be able to put points on the board at least to tie or take a lead before the backups take over. The primary backups needs to be competent enough to add to or at least hold a lead.  If none of those two units can pull out at least 1 out of 4, now 3, well you probably don't have enough talent or competent coaching to win very many games.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, rayzor said:

well, historically, winless teams have overwhelmingly sucked in the regular season.  So, call it a meaningless coincidence. 

Not saying I put a lot in that and now there are only 3 which probably makes any old trend pointless. 

• Pie 1

I just love the fact that after one infra-squad PRACTICE between the Panthers and Jets…and the media is saying that Aaron Rodgers and the NY Jets are borderline panicking.  

Their OL must’ve been really bad yesterday because according to ESPN they got straight worked by our brand new 3-4 Defense.

That plus everyone (both sides) raving about Bryce Young in a practice…feels good to be on this side of the hype (even if it was more about the Jets weaknesses than our strengths!)

• Pie 1

The problem i have is, what is the point of preseason? What is the number 1 goal?

Is it winning or evaluating?

In regular season there is no doubting the goal and it's the exact same for every team. Thet want to win. Every team has that goal in mind and because of that, everytbing that is done 8n preparation for that game and every play and play call has that one goal in mind, so it's a true competition.

With preseason it's all about evaluation and every team is looking to evaluate different facets in different ways than the other team on the field.

Because they don't have the same goal and you don't typically have the best players in your team on the field, the score at the end just doesn't have anywhere close to the same impact it would in regular season.

The score at the end just doesn't tell the same story a regular season game does.

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, historically, winless teams have overwhelmingly sucked in the regular season.  So, call it a meaningless coincidence. 

Not saying I put a lot in that and now there are only 3 which probably makes any old trend pointless. 

But a lot of people do look at that and put a lot of stock in it. I just want to know why they think it actually matters.