• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

how important is it that we win preseason games?

rayzor

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are in this.

I just tried watching something on YouTube a little while ago where the argument was over whether tomorrow is a "must win" for the jets after losing in the HoF game.

Does it matter? Why or why not?

Entirely irrleevant, though it is important that the starters and backups look competent, coached, composed, and that they show improvement week by week.

That said, I don't mind 'winning' the first quarter/first half and maybe through the third quarter if it's mostly guys who will make the 53 on the field.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 3

It is always nice to win...can't say it is important in a preseason game. With so many new players and new schemes on both sides of the ball...would love to see good play from the 1st and 2nd stringers.

In this one...Rogers is not playing and our D should handle the Jets oline and give Zach a fit.  Would love a win!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

The only thing that matters to me is not if we win or lose but how we won or lost. The preseason record means nothing.  These games are meant to evaluate players new to the team in a game situation.  It's a chance for the coaches to iron out the kinks before the real battle begins.  Sure, they want to win but in reality it's more about seeing who stays and who goes.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

You just don't want a losing record, and you certainly don't want to go winless. Only one team has been in the Super Bowl after going winless in the preseason (82 Skins). I'm too lazy to research the past four seasons, but there was an emerging pattern.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/sports/nfl/does-winning-in-the-nfl-preseason-matter-sort-of/67-592c3fa4-1546-4524-8965-3abfd80274db

Me? I watch preseason for evaluation purposes, as well as to know what I'm actually talking about here. Winning & losing in the preseason matters little without context. 

• Pie 3