• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, if the primary focus is and should be about growing your #1 overall QB.....I'd rather have Moore.  

What the most important thing in Carolina right now? How many wins you squeak out or how good you can get Bryce Young going? 

You could argue either point successfully.  Giving Young no defense and forcing him into obvious passing situations while taking unnecessary extra hits isn't an ideal way to develop him.  We appear to be wanting to have a solid defense (that's our goal but who knows how it will look) plus a solid running game for Young to lean on.  Our staff thinks that Moore (a great WR2/low end WR1) will be easier to replace then a top 10 young pass rusher.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, if the primary focus is and should be about growing your #1 overall QB.....I'd rather have Moore.  

What the most important thing in Carolina right now? How many wins you squeak out or how good you can get Bryce Young going? 

There would be no Bryce Young. They were adamant about acquiring Moore.  We don't get to determine both sides of the trade.

Edited by csx
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, csx said:

There would be no Bryce Young. They were adamant about acquiring Moore.  

Not to mention, I doubt they could have traded Moore for a first round pick, and that’s essentially what they did. The Bears wanted Moore instead of another pick. The fact we gave up only 1 first rd pick to move from 9 to 1 in a QB draft is crazy.

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

It would be monumentally stupid for Burns to start missing games over this contract dispute. They are only a couple million/year apart he’ll be losing nearly half of that for each game he misses.

I see no indication that he is going to do that.  I mean he is showing up to these practices so he is able to play right?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I see no indication that he is going to do that.  I mean he is showing up to these practices so he is able to play right?

Oh yeah, I think he plays. Sucks he’s missed some practice, I’m sure there’s plenty of work to do learning the new defense. Hopefully he knows his gap assignments and exactly where he needs to be on run downs, not too concerned with the pass rush part.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I feel like taking that deal for Burns only works out if we're committing to a full scale rebuild which we aren't. 3 picks in 3 separate drafts we wouldn't have been able to replace Burns this year with that. And while we wait for year 2 or 3 of the rebuild we are also wasting the years and rookie contracts of Derrick Brown, Jaycee Horn, Chinn, and even Young. whereas with Burns it gives us a more complete defense. Hopefully a top 10 at worst top 15 unit this year (hopefully). Next year when we have even more ammunition we could see a nice 3-5 year window with this core of players and hopefully have a Seahawks LoB/Russell Wilson type team if it all works out.

well, there are basically two groups IMO on that. 

Group A - says the Panthers are in a full blown rebuild

Group B- says we aren't. 

I'm group A.  Which makes not taking that trade mind numbing.   I mean, you can't trade literally every human in a legit rebuild.  But you certainly take fantastic offers.  Rebuilding still requires certain foundational aspects to exist.  Because you can't groom Young up if you are complete trash.  It would just be never ending bad positions he is always in.  So you need some defensive guys for example.  Because you don't want your D to be league worst as you build Bryce up.  Because he will always been in bad spots and playing from behind.  You still need guys to help show everyone how it's done. 

I just feel the it's not a rebuild crowd's justification of why we aren't' a rebuild....means there is no such thing as a rebuild if applied elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Conversations last night stopped at GTD money again. Closer but still not there. 

Have been told if Burns holds out Sunday it is highly likely he will be found a new home.

Well that would be an epic fail after declining the previous trade surely we would not get fair value now that he may be disgruntled and if it happened all involved should be fired after the conclusion of the season.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1