• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

Just now, Gerry Green said:

Plenty of players play all the way through their contracts. But more and more it seems like more and more players want to get a raise every 2 years. So things like this happen every year. It happened 6 times this year alone. Burns isn't the only one still holding out. 

Well to be honest. Burns hasn't actually held out yet. 

Yep, this is where my thinking is - is he playing unless otherwise stated, or not playing unless otherwise stated?  Since he's never declared he's holding out, I would assume the former.  

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The panthers literally have no options other than paying him.  They will look like absolute fools trading him vs the rams offer and fitt would 100% without a shadow of a doubt get poo canned.   I guess you can debate whose fault this is until you are blue in the face but it would be a monumental fug up if we traded and got less then what the rams were offering.   There is just no way Fitt survives that and I suspect he knows.  Burns has the team by the balls as he should.  Suck it the fug up and pay him because this is the situation you created all by yourself fitt and co.  The fuging rams through you a golden parachute and you were asleep at the wheel

Panthers worked themselves into a bad spot no matter what at this point. 

Burns is a largely one dimensional pass rusher who has logged double digit sacks once.   And forced into a corner to get out whack in the pecking order of pay.   

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Yep, this is where my thinking is - is he playing unless otherwise stated, or not playing unless otherwise stated?  Since he's never declared he's holding out, I would assume the former.  

There has been nothing stated that he will not play Sun. except for some Huddle speculations. I would be surprised if he held out. But truly, no on knows but him and whoever is in his inner circle.

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Burns is a largely a one dimensional pass rusher who has logged double digit sacks once.   And forced into a corner to get out whack with in pecking order of pay.   

I think people under rate how important a "one dimensional pass rusher" can be and it's asinine to use that as the excuse to not pay him.

First, it's not like there are elite pass rushers with well rounded skill sets beyond pass rushing that become available with any regularity to make the argument that we shouldn't pay Burns while waiting for one of them to fall in our lap instead.

Second, an elite, even if one dimensional, pass rusher can unlock so much else for the rest of the defense.  Their pressure alone can help the DBs by forcing QB's to get the ball out quickly.  The need of double teams opens things up for the rest of the line and pass rushers to get to the QB.

If you're truly elite at rushing the passer (which I think Burns is right there and will be moving forward), then the rest of it doesn't matter.  Sure it would be great if you're also great against the run, but even if not, you're then worth the money for the trickle down affect to the rest of the defense.

This is yet again another instance of people thinking real life NFL is anything remotely close to Madden where you can manipulate the system to make any trade you want or make sure you can sign any FA you want.  It doesn't work that way, you can only get the players who are available at the time, and pass rushers of Burns ability don't hit the open market, if you want one, you have to "overpay" to get/keep them.

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Burns is a largely a one dimensional pass rusher who has logged double digit sacks once.   And forced into a corner to get out whack with in pecking order of pay.   

I like how you cherry pick his sacks. Like he hasn't improved them every year. Way to minimize his growth.

It is almost criminal how little respect Burns gets around here.

2 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

I like how you cherry pick his sacks. Like he hasn't improved them every year. Way to minimize his growth.

It is almost criminal how little respect Burns gets around here.

If there was a Kansas City Huddle made of the same posters, half the threads today would be titled "How Many Picks Can We Get For Mahomes?"

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

"I wouldn't have given Burrow an extension. You could trade him and net 2-3 first round picks, then use that money on linebackers, running backs and a solid veteran backup QB"

Can you imagine the future picks we could have had for prime Luke.

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Burns is a largely one dimensional pass rusher who has logged double digit sacks once.   And forced into a corner to get out whack in the pecking order of pay.   

This is a very good point. The FO has created quite the headache for themselves whichever direction this goes.

Doubtful you keep him without giving him what he wants, and doubtful you find what was offered to you last season. There is a chance you could hold on to him until the deadline (which I highly doubt will happen) and trade him off to a team who loses a pass rusher or feels they are a pass rusher away from the postseason.

I don't see this dragging out for an extended period. Tepper just gave a lot of money to assemble this staff and mortgaged a fortune to draft a QB 1st overall, he isn't going to have it distracted by a holdout player that could have been extended or traded by the GM over the past year or so.