• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Mortem: Game 1

Mr. Scot

32 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I assume he was nervous being his first game and on the road. He should let loose as he gets more comfortable with the offense. He had a lot of fire in him during those Alabama games.

My one issue with Young at the moment is that he doesn't look comfortable running a fast tempo attack. 

He's gonna need to be in the future if for nothing else other than two minute drills. Beyond that though, until he can do that well, you're not gonna be able to vary your attack mid-game.

Obviously, you'd expect that to change with more work so there's time.

We'll see...

3 hours ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

A lot of us are tired of reading your conjecture. Having 100,000 post doesn’t mean you’re right about anything. The coaching staff looked like what many of us thought. And Young was disappointing. You can look promising as a rookie QB. Today, he did not. 

Then ignore and move the F on, problem solved.

2 hours ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

By two scores lmao. Stop making excuses. 

Did you read my post? I wasn't making excuses for anything. I just said we suck. I said it in the score prediction thread and by my count, I was probably one of the closest in guessing the margin of the game. It's fine that we suck. This is the NFL where you can't build a team in a single off-season and despite most fans hopes, and the teams propaganda, we were never going to compete for anything but last place this year. I actually said this, and said that I didn't love the trade up for Bryce because we have so many holes on the roster, and I was banned for a week because of it. I was told I was "being too negative" and that people were tired of it.

Well, how about now? This game was a throw back to Master Rhule instead of a step forward from where we were in the last six weeks of last year. I stand by my feelings that we should've gone with Wilk's, traded down to get more picks, re-signed Darnold and Foreman, and gone from there. We aren't going to win anything throwing the ball 40 times a game with this receiver group and the offensive line. 

It is what it is. 

46 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Did Fields look great. I only saw the second half and thought he looked as much like a rookie as Young did

And guess what? If we suck bad enough, the Bears can double up by drafting Williams or Maye, AND they can take Marvin Harrison Jr. while off-loading Fields for another pick. 

We should've just sucked it up for another year and gone hard for Maye or Williams next year. Those two would've forced Young and Stroud down the board if they were in the same draft class. Tepper has been desperate for the excitement of a top draft pick and the money that drives and he got it. It was a dumb, short-sighted decision.

You don't trade 1st round picks away when you have more holes in your roster than the swissest of swiss cheese. 

3 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

nice post, keeping it less reactionary..but...

I don't think it's out of bounds to say Bryce's accuracy was pretty off today and it just wasn't the best performance.  We can say that without crying out he's a bust or anything like that.  

He had a few good moments but I actually thought he seemed a tad anxious back there and was throwing behind, sailed a few as well.  Had one very nice drive that showed promise.  

The entire passing game is what I found disappointing.  Play design, play calls, and Young.  It's unfortunate, particularly because this is what we've been used to and wanted to be rid of, and were promised to be rid of. 

Onto next week.  Better look a whole lot more competent.  I'll give Bryce time, but the playbook didn't look pretty off the bat.  

And if I might add, it’s OKAY that he was anxious/nervous out there. He’s a rookie starting his first game. 

If people are seriously over Bryce this early, they are trolling or emotional and they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

If people simply point out that he (or the passing game) didn’t look as advertised today; that, in itself, isn’t hate. 

17 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Did you read my post? I wasn't making excuses for anything. I just said we suck. I said it in the score prediction thread and by my count, I was probably one of the closest in guessing the margin of the game. It's fine that we suck. This is the NFL where you can't build a team in a single off-season and despite most fans hopes, and the teams propaganda, we were never going to compete for anything but last place this year. I actually said this, and said that I didn't love the trade up for Bryce because we have so many holes on the roster, and I was banned for a week because of it. I was told I was "being too negative" and that people were tired of it.

Well, how about now? This game was a throw back to Master Rhule instead of a step forward from where we were in the last six weeks of last year. I stand by my feelings that we should've gone with Wilk's, traded down to get more picks, re-signed Darnold and Foreman, and gone from there. We aren't going to win anything throwing the ball 40 times a game with this receiver group and the offensive line. 

It is what it is. 

Not sure why you are ranting at me, I just said Fields didn't look great.  

But regarding Young, things are fairly simple. If he becomes a great Qb, then the moves we made will be worth it. If not, then they won't. 

10 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

And if I might add, it’s OKAY that he was anxious/nervous out there. He’s a rookie starting his first game. 

If people are seriously over Bryce this early, they are trolling or emotional and they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

If people simply point out that he (or the passing game) didn’t look as advertised today; that, in itself, isn’t hate. 

Yep.  He could overperform next week on Monday night, and we can call it like it is as well, no problem. And a Monday night banger would be sweet.

Just had some issues today that are correctable. The passing attack was generally, very underwhelming, regardless of receivers.  Was not a fan of our playcalling by Frank or the play designs.  I do see a Brees-esque ceiling with him but he was a bit all over today.     

No need to panic, some minor concerns, but plenty to work with here.  He's a #1 overall pick for a reason and seems to have what a lot don't between the ears. 

• Pie 2