• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Debuts

Mage

@Mage, how dare you bring any perspective and logic!  I was planning on 17-0, zero punts, zero turnovers, and holding all our opponents to less than 0 points and yards!  Don't you try to ruin my overreactions with those terrible things!

This is the Huddle!  Where we go bup-bup-bup!??!

(For real: excellent points!)

• Pie 1

Those are all very nice, but it creates some false equivalences, and some of those stats lack important context, such as Stafford taking that start on a Lions team that went 0-16 the previous season. If you want to compare though, Eli's numbers are comparable, except if you look further, his avg/per was measurably higher. 

It was not a good debut. It could've been worse. Let's hope for better.

Edited by UnluckyforSome
  • Poo 3

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

True but to be fair Matt Stafford had Calvin Johnson.  I'd trade all of our wide receivers for Calvin Johnson and UDFAs.

That is why it's not really a fair comparison. Every single one of those stat lines are unique situations. Johnson was part of that 0-16 debacle. I understand the frustration though. It has to get better.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

31 minutes ago, Mage said:

Burrow in 2020 - 23/36 (63%), 0 TDs, 1 INTs, 193 Yards

Lawrence in 2021 - 28/51 (54%), 3 TDs, 3 INTs, 332 Yards

Josh Allen in 2018 - 18/33 (54%), 1 TD, 2 INTs, 245 Yards

Deshaun Watson in 2017 - 12/23 (52%), 1 TD, 1 INTs, 102 Yards

Jared Goff in 2016 - 17/31 (54%), 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 134 Yards

Luck in 2012 - 23/45 (51%), 1 TD, 3 INTs, 309 Yards

Stafford in 2009 - 16/37 (43%), 0 TDs, 3 INTs, 205 Yards

Roethlisberger in 2004 - 12/20 (60%), 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 176 Yards

P. Manning in 1998 - 21/37 (56%), 1 TD, 3 INTs, 302 Yards

E. Manning in 2004 - 17/37 (45%), 1 TD, 2 INTs, 162 Yards

Matt Ryan had a good debut performance (albeit on 13 attempts and carried by Michael Turner), then the next week followed it up with 13/33 (39%), 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 158 yards.  Newton followed up his electric debut game with a 3 INT game.  

Look, maybe Bryce Young isn't the answer.  I think he is, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, regardless of how he ends up, I feel as if some of you are wildly reacting to a "bad" Week 1 performance from him. Rookie QBs making their debut typically don't play well unless they have superb athleticism that they can rely on and that the play-caller can build around off jump.  Young can make plays outside of the pocket, obviously, but he largely lives and dies by making plays in the pocket.  Today he gave us plenty of reason to think that his football IQ is as good as advertised.  He was a willing and aggressive passer.  Even on his INTs, I'd argue he was making the right reads or at least we can see what he saw, he just didn't account for Bates breaking on the ball as fast as he did.  Stuff like that improves with times.  There is a reason rookie QBs tend to throw picks early in their career.

Again maybe Young isn't our savior but for a QB making his debut?  He didn't have a game out of the ordinary.  When you ask a rookie QB to throw 38 times with Adam Thielen as their best WR, well it probably won't lead to pretty numbers.

Thank you 

I'm not concerned about tonight with Bryce and I'm not even all that much concerned about Bryce the QB (although of course I'm still worried about him being able to hold up for the long term).  I'm just concerned that we cut off our nose to spite our face to try and find the quick fix at QB instead of the right fix in the right way.

I'm afraid I'll never get over the trade given next year's QB class.  As long as we didn't go out and sign Carr or Jimmy G, no available QB this offseason would have been a chance at getting better QB play this season than we'll get from Bryce.  So as long as we didn't get either of them, no matter how bad we are this year, we'd have been worse without Bryce.

If we give up a Top 5 pick in a draft that might have a handful of legit franchise QB's, it's going to be a really bad look that will haunt this franchise forever if Bryce doesn't lead us to a SB win.

Give me one of those top QB's next year with keeping DJ, whoever we'd have taken in the 1st this past year, whoever we'd have taken with our extra 2nd this past year, and whoever we would have taken with our Top 5 2nd rounder next year over Bryce and none of those others.

Sorry, still salty over the trade and the preseason and today hasn't helped matters.

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Burrow in 2020 - 23/36 (63%), 0 TDs, 1 INTs, 193 Yards

Lawrence in 2021 - 28/51 (54%), 3 TDs, 3 INTs, 332 Yards

Josh Allen in 2018 - 18/33 (54%), 1 TD, 2 INTs, 245 Yards

Deshaun Watson in 2017 - 12/23 (52%), 1 TD, 1 INTs, 102 Yards

Jared Goff in 2016 - 17/31 (54%), 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 134 Yards

Luck in 2012 - 23/45 (51%), 1 TD, 3 INTs, 309 Yards

Stafford in 2009 - 16/37 (43%), 0 TDs, 3 INTs, 205 Yards

Roethlisberger in 2004 - 12/20 (60%), 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 176 Yards

P. Manning in 1998 - 21/37 (56%), 1 TD, 3 INTs, 302 Yards

E. Manning in 2004 - 17/37 (45%), 1 TD, 2 INTs, 162 Yards

Matt Ryan had a good debut performance (albeit on 13 attempts and carried by Michael Turner), then the next week followed it up with 13/33 (39%), 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 158 yards.  Newton followed up his electric debut game with a 3 INT game.  

Look, maybe Bryce Young isn't the answer.  I think he is, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, regardless of how he ends up, I feel as if some of you are wildly reacting to a "bad" Week 1 performance from him. Rookie QBs making their debut typically don't play well unless they have superb athleticism that they can rely on and that the play-caller can build around off jump.  Young can make plays outside of the pocket, obviously, but he largely lives and dies by making plays in the pocket.  Today he gave us plenty of reason to think that his football IQ is as good as advertised.  He was a willing and aggressive passer.  Even on his INTs, I'd argue he was making the right reads or at least we can see what he saw, he just didn't account for Bates breaking on the ball as fast as he did.  Stuff like that improves with times.  There is a reason rookie QBs tend to throw picks early in their career.

Again maybe Young isn't our savior but for a QB making his debut?  He didn't have a game out of the ordinary.  When you ask a rookie QB to throw 38 times with Adam Thielen as their best WR, well it probably won't lead to pretty numbers.

Posting only successful QBs. I mean you could do this list with Zach Wilson, Trey Lance last season, Dwayne Haskins, David Carr, Jamarcus Russell, Sam Darnold and any other number of high pick busts. I bet the stats would all be about the same. This proves nothing either way other than Bryce looked like asshole today. 

Edited by BIGH2001
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1