• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Debuts

Mage

3 hours ago, Mage said:

Even on his INTs, I'd argue he was making the right reads or at least we can see what he saw, he just didn't account for Bates breaking on the ball as fast as he did.  Stuff like that improves with times.  There is a reason rookie QBs tend to throw picks early in their career.

In his presser, he was asked a couple times about the ints. He said the safety wasn't at the depth he expected. He later went further and said he read the coverage but, the safety did not have the depth he assumed he would be at. Bryce said it was different than the x's and o's and he should have actually checked before throwing. This sounds like a rookie problem. That's good.

I'm not ready to crown Bryce Young and I'm not ready to write him off. I expected to lose today. All the top 10 rookie QB's lost today.

On 9/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, BIGH2001 said:

Corral is awful and that was the correct reaction. 

Currently.  Im not saying he'll turn into gods gift to fans everywhere, but Seeing how much Will Grier progressed shocked me so much that I legit think Corral could eventually turn it around.  That said, it will take a Will Grier level of progress to make that happen (IE realizing he didn't put enough effort in early to understand the game at the NFL Level).  He does still have raw skills, he just doesnt understand the NFL game and maybe after a few years on Practice squads he can turn that around.

We aren't the niners where we can plug essentially an UDFA in at QB and have him do well. We don't have that type of team or structure yet.

Bryce will be good depending on how hard he works at his craft. He's going to take some lumps. He's going to make mistakes. He will lose games. And most of all he will not be perfect but that doesn't mean he won't eventually be a really good player capable of taking this team deep into the playoffs. He definitely can be and I think he will eventually get there. He just needs time and to continue to work at it.

On 9/10/2023 at 7:32 PM, tukafan21 said:

I'm not concerned about tonight with Bryce and I'm not even all that much concerned about Bryce the QB (although of course I'm still worried about him being able to hold up for the long term).  I'm just concerned that we cut off our nose to spite our face to try and find the quick fix at QB instead of the right fix in the right way.

I'm afraid I'll never get over the trade given next year's QB class.  As long as we didn't go out and sign Carr or Jimmy G, no available QB this offseason would have been a chance at getting better QB play this season than we'll get from Bryce.  So as long as we didn't get either of them, no matter how bad we are this year, we'd have been worse without Bryce.

If we give up a Top 5 pick in a draft that might have a handful of legit franchise QB's, it's going to be a really bad look that will haunt this franchise forever if Bryce doesn't lead us to a SB win.

Give me one of those top QB's next year with keeping DJ, whoever we'd have taken in the 1st this past year, whoever we'd have taken with our extra 2nd this past year, and whoever we would have taken with our Top 5 2nd rounder next year over Bryce and none of those others.

Sorry, still salty over the trade and the preseason and today hasn't helped matters.

Bryce was one of the most successful, prolific QBs in CFB in quite some time.  He's just as good a prospect as Williams or Maye or Sanders or any of those guys.  Lets pump the brakes a lil bit here. 

15 hours ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Currently.  Im not saying he'll turn into gods gift to fans everywhere, but Seeing how much Will Grier progressed shocked me so much that I legit think Corral could eventually turn it around.  That said, it will take a Will Grier level of progress to make that happen (IE realizing he didn't put enough effort in early to understand the game at the NFL Level).  He does still have raw skills, he just doesnt understand the NFL game and maybe after a few years on Practice squads he can turn that around.

LOL Will Grier had 1 good preseason game against a bunch of scrubs.  Come on now. 

4 hours ago, joemac said:

Bryce was one of the most successful, prolific QBs in CFB in quite some time.  He's just as good a prospect as Williams or Maye or Sanders or any of those guys.  Lets pump the brakes a lil bit here. 

Talk about pumping the brakes... Williams is probably the best QB prospect since Luck and possibly even a better prospect than he was as well.

Bryce's mental side of the game is unheard of for a prospect, which is what gives him a chance to be good or even great.  But his physical side does have some limitations, it doesn't mean he can't be great, guys like Brady weren't physical specimens.  

But guys like Williams don't grow on trees, there's a reason he's compared to Mahomes in what he can do, it's next level stuff.

And I know I've been tough on Bryce, admittedly because I never wanted him solely due to his size and my concerns about him being able to have a long healthy career.  But this post is not a knock on him at all, it's a positive post for Williams, he's just that good of a prospect.

Edited by tukafan21