• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young arm strength and elasticity

NAS

I see some people on here questioning Bryce Young's arm strength.  I've seen no evidence that he can't consistently make every NFL throw required.   Here's a recent scouting report from profootballnetwork.  In addition to arm strength, scouts also look at "arm elasticity" which means ability to throw from different angles with velocity.  Most notable QBs with this trait have been Mahomes and Rodgers.  Young has it and I think this particular trait was featured on Camp Confidential where Hayden Hurst talks about how Bryce can throw from crazy positions, accurately and with pace.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/bryce-young-qb-alabama-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

Natural talent is always abundant in the top QB prospects. That’s certainly the case for Young. His arm isn’t quite elite, but he does have great baseline arm talent, consistently generates good velocity on throws, and has shown to push that velocity through all ranges. He has the pace to deliver passes quickly, especially in the short and intermediate ranges.

Young has enough arm strength to function, but his arm elasticity is what truly generates appeal. The Alabama QB’s arm is very elastic, and he can throw from different arm angles while maintaining velocity generation.

Moreover, he’s able to throw with easy velocity and accuracy off-platform. He’s a snappy, flexible thrower who can generate velocity from points of discomfort. Young can also actively adjust his arm angle to widen throwing windows, avoiding lurking rushers and deflection threats.

The arm talent is good with Young, but his creation capacity — a near-generational quality of his — is by far his best trait. The Alabama QB is a quick-twitch athlete with excellent suddenness, stop-and-start ability, and elusiveness. 

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 6

Some people are just looking at his stature and assuming that ball has less velocity than most NFL QBs and it's simply not the case.  His arm strength is fine, but he is usually a touch/accuracy thrower which means you won't see as many Cam style lasers thrown towards his targets.  He can zip it in there when he needs to, but that's not going to be the norm.  

• Pie 7

I don't know about arm elasticity, but personally I am not worried about his arm strength.  The only issue I have seen so far is with accuracy on deep balls on the sidelines.  And at this point, it might be more an issue of timing with the receivers than anything else.  There was one relatively deep shop to Marshall that Marshall hesitated on for just a second.  If he had not of hesitated, the ball might have dropped right into his arms for a big play.  

• Pie 7

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't know about arm elasticity, but personally I am not worried about his arm strength.  The only issue I have seen so far is with accuracy on deep balls on the sidelines.  And at this point, it might be more an issue of timing with the receivers than anything else.  There was one relatively deep shop to Marshall that Marshall hesitated on for just a second.  If he had not of hesitated, the ball might have dropped right into his arms for a big play.  

It would have been a TD.  It was a game changing opportunity.  Another one of those what could go wrong did go wrong. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Bryce is near the bottom of the list of concerns.  He made a couple of bad decisions, but when you're a rookie making your first start on the road and dealing with a receiving group that absolutely could not separate, how could you not trying to make something happen.  His arm is fine.  And his decision making for the most part.  Lack of full speed reps showed big time yesterday with timing.

No worries about offensive line, either.  No line is going to look perfect down 2 TD's in the 4th in obvious passing situations.

Anyway, yesterday was obviously disappointing, but most of it can be attributed to turnovers.

The 2 things that concern me:

1) Passing game has to make substantial improvements to have any chance

2) Secondary depth is yet again a concern.

That being said, our defense and the offensive line looked too good to just write the season off.  

Receivers have to be better, and they have to be schemed better. Bottom line.  

If guys get open, Bryce will find them.  I know he missed Mingo on the go route, but it was the right read and it goes back to timing.  Bryce certainly did not look lost out there at all.

• Pie 9