• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who would you rank as top 5 Panther draft busts of all time?

TheBigKat

1) Carruth- 1st round pick for a murder

2) Collins- no explanation necessary, devastated a young franchise

3) Jaycee Horn- on pace to have played 17/51 games, if he doesn’t regain form then that is a costly top 10 draft bust which is compounded when you see who was drafted after him

4) Everette Brown- 2nd round pick that cost us 1st round capital

5) Dewayne Jarrett- second round pick that was an immense bust

• Pie 2
  • Poo 6

i really dont think injury effected players should be indentified as "busts." To me busts would be players that never live up to their potential. No one can predict or control injuries... so ridiculing a player who experiences the unfortunate events of injury is just pathetic.

Bc we damn well know we could even last a single hit in the NFL....

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Horn does not in any way shape or form belong on that list, especially not over somebody like Jason Peter.

Agreed, I know it might be semantics to some, but I think there is a clear and distinct difference between a bust and a pick that didn't work out.

A bust was a player who ended up being a player who just couldn't live up to their draft expectations while actually playing.

But a player who played at an elite level but just couldn't stay healthy, that isn't a bust, provided they weren't coming into the league with injury issues that the team felt okay knowingly taking a risk on.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

whats a bust?

just a player that doens't perform for any reason, or a player that doesn't have the skills to justify the pick or what was given up for him?

Combination of lack of talent, cost to acquire the player, and downstream impact, it's Everette Brown and it's not close. 

The second part. Bust is term thrown around too often on players by fans. It's just because they do not like the player or they did not live up to some preconceived ridiculous standards of their own making.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Combination of lack of talent, cost to acquire the player, and downstream impact, it's Everette Brown and it's not close. 

Even over Collins?

13 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

i really dont think injury effected players should be indentified as "busts." 

That's me too.

Injuries are historically damn near impossible to predict. Heaven knows we've drafted guys that were never injured in college and seen them hurt repeatedly.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Oh, and if anyone names Biakabutuka in this thread, I'm coming for ya!

See above...

The one scene that always passes through my mind anytime somebody mentions him though is Bill Polian being asked whether he had any concerns about his durability and responding "none" 😕

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

See above...

The one scene that always passes through my mind anytime somebody mentions him though is Bill Polian being asked whether he had any concerns about his durability and responding "none" 😕

I'll admit that I'm too young and not local to NC to have been able to follow the team closely enough back then to have ever heard any of that stuff.

I'm a Panthers fan because of Biakabutuka

Have lived in Michigan my whole life (outside of my years in Arizona for college) and grew up a big Michigan fan with Biakabutuka as my favorite player thanks to him having a monster game against my dad's alma mater in my first ever Michigan football game I went to.  My dad took me to the HOF the year before we joined the league and I loved the team's colors and logo (which my friends to this day like to make fun of me for liking the team for those reasons, but c'mon, I was like a 7 year old kid at the time haha).  While there he bought me a Panthers mini helmet and a HOF game shirt with us playing the Jags on it.

I casually rooted for us that first season, as much as any kid that age could from Michigan and pre-internet.  Then when we drafted my favorite player going into that second season, I got hooked, almost 30 years later and here we are.

So yea, I don't even care what he was on the field, he brought the Panthers into my life (for better or maybe worse lol).

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I'll admit that I'm too young and not local to NC to have been able to follow the team closely enough back then to have ever heard any of that stuff.

I'm a Panthers fan because of Biakabutuka

Have lived in Michigan my whole life (outside of my years in Arizona for college) and grew up a big Michigan fan with Biakabutuka as my favorite player thanks to him having a monster game against my dad's alma mater in my first ever Michigan football game I went to.  My dad took me to the HOF the year before we joined the league and I loved the team's colors and logo (which my friends to this day like to make fun of me for liking the team for those reasons, but c'mon, I was like a 7 year old kid at the time haha).  While there he bought me a Panthers mini helmet and a HOF game shirt with us playing the Jags on it.

I casually rooted for us that first season, as much as any kid that age could from Michigan and pre-internet.  Then when we drafted my favorite player going into that second season, I got hooked, almost 30 years later and here we are.

So yea, I don't even care what he was on the field, he brought the Panthers into my life (for better or maybe worse lol).

Spent a couple of years living in Ohio with my ex-wife.

Had no idea how deep the cross state hate ran until I saw it up close.

Edited by Mr. Scot