• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

I can't say Jimmy Clausen our worst starting QB in 27 years is the only bar to exceed but you can compare Young to Lawrence and whoever else. You aren't seeking intelligent conversation you are seeking an echo chamber. Sorry this isn't that.

Echo chamber?  My man, I have stated multiple times that I understand if people have a different opinion than myself.

You commented on how Young barely threw for 100 yards.  I brought up Lawrence as a comparison because he too also barely threw for 100 yards, was a No. 1 pick, and played in a bad offense.  I'm not sure why you keep painting that as some wild, nonsensical comparison.  Never once have I said that I think Young is as good as Lawrence, because I don't.  The point was judging someone on how many yards they threw in their 2nd NFL game is dumb as hell.  Any other comparisons I have made was strictly based on his arm strength.

And what else is dumb as hell is comparing him to Jimmy Clausen.  Clausen went in the 2nd round for a reason.  But you keep making that comparison.  It sure paints you as the intelligent one alright.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mage said:

Echo chamber?  My man, I have stated multiple times that I understand if people have a different opinion than myself.

You commented on how Young barely threw for 100 yards.  I brought up Lawrence as a comparison because he too also barely threw for 100 yards, was a No. 1 pick, and played in a bad offense.  I'm not sure why you keep painting that as some wild, nonsensical comparison.  Never once have I said that I think Young is as good as Lawrence, because I don't.  The point was judging someone on how many yards they threw in their 2nd NFL game is dumb as hell.  Any other comparisons I have made was strictly based on his arm strength.

And what else is dumb as hell is comparing him to Jimmy Clausen.  Clausen went in the 2nd round for a reason.  But you keep making that comparison.  It sure paints you as the intelligent one alright.

You could link Young with any number of former or current QB's based on that criteria it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. He's an outlier amongst outliers himself. You are in your feels coping and lashing out. That's fine. I'll agree to disagree.

I can't give an honest evaluation on Bryce because of how inept every phase of the offense looks so far. From receivers not creating enough separation, the Olines trouble in pass pro, the turnovers and Reichs vanilla play calling. That whole side of the ball has to get it together quick, or this will be another year of wasting a really talented defense. I think in time the offense will get it together let's just hope that we aren't too far out of running for it to matter. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats your prerogative but what we are saying is he hasnt shown hardly any ability whether its in preseason and now 2 weeks in of having any skill set or any ability of being an elite playmaker in the nfl.  

Then we are coming away with different takes from the games we are watching.  And that is okay.

I think he has demonstrated the potential to be a great playmaker between his elusiveness in the pocket and his ability and willingness to make off-platform throws.

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

there are a lot of floaters in there including the one at :58   not sure what you are watching

What even was that playcall at :22? That's an example of one I want to see in All-22.

There is like no one running slants or shallow crosses within 10 yards the bulk of the time.  We had one okay slant with Thielen at :38 but it's either deep routes or curls galore.

Ran a bunch to the right at :48 but Thielen is jogging and the other two go deep out of frame.  There's no patterns playing off each other.  Bryce's first look was to the weak side at Hurst.  Like, what they hell was drafted up there?

1:00 & 1:15 are nice.  

But again the strip sack at 1:35, what was that pattern set? I gotta see that one.  

1:42 clean pocket and no one open? That is needed in All-22.  Need to see what's going on out of frame.  The next few plus were inaccurate.  Then 2:33, I need to see what's happening there.  Had the time and the looks.Same at 2:42, looked like falf the routes were given up on.  WRs look mad slow.  And then Saints went to soft zone. 

YIKES

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

Bro, you are the one who brought up Young barely throwing for 100 yards in the first place.

Lawrence and Young do not belong in the same conversation the arm strength between the two are in different universes. Trevor has the elite arm traits. That's the bridge you want to ignore between Lawrence throwing what he did and Young. Some of the throws I saw Young make last night were reminiscent of the likes of Clausen. It's okay to admit that. I can still be a Panthers fan and not be a drone that never says anything negative.

Just now, frankw said:

Lawrence and Young do not belong in the same conversation the arm strength between the two are in different universes. Trevor has the elite arm traits. That's the bridge you want to ignore between Lawrence throwing what he did and Young. Some of the throws I saw Young make last night were reminiscent of the likes of Clausen. It's okay to admit that. I can still be a Panthers fan and not be a drone that never says anything negative.

This is what a lot of us were talking about leading up to the draft but everyone thought it was because of his size. I personally called out his average to below average arm strength and running speed to go along with him being too small. 

Maybe he can get it turned around, not giving up on him yet, but damn 42/71 for 299 yards with 2 TDs and 2 INTs is about as piss poor as it can get. They need to inject some life into this offense and these lame ass play calls are not getting it done. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

Lawrence and Young do not belong in the same conversation the arm strength between the two are in different universes. Trevor has the elite arm traits. 

And yet, Lawrence only threw for 118 yards in his 2nd game.

So you either agree the amount of yards matter or you don't.  You posted a stat to try and dunk on Young and I gave a response using the same standard.  Never once did I say Young was as good as Lawrence.  I simply was responding to your criticism of how he threw for so little yards.

You are just moving goal-posts at this point.  And I like how you keep trying to paint me as this person full of positivity, when I have stated multiple times that I accept Young could be a bust.  How about this.  I will admit I'm wrong when you admit that bringing up yards thrown was foolish.

Edited by Mage

5 hours ago, Zod said:

I think he is the next Drew Brees if he gets the right coaching.

We don't know how well Brees would have done his rookie season, because he didn't start. But I suspect he would have looked a lot like Bryce.

I was always jealous of how quickly Brees would dissect the defense and that quick gd release. So hard to defend.

I see that potential in Bryce. 

Troll take is what this is. 

23 minutes ago, frankw said:

Are any of them 5'10 with questionable arm strength?

You folks search and search and search for outliers to fit your narratives and feed your feels you did the same thing with Sam Darnold. Stop coddling the kid and comparing him to good or elite QB's until he proves he can even hang with the Falcons or Saints who are without Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. Have some standards for goodness sake.

I didn’t have to search for anything man I’ve watched football a long time and have a memory ha. Seen sure things flame out and guys people doubt succeed. The draft’s a crapshoot. Drew Brees was like what an inch  taller if?? I’m not saying he’s going to be as good as any of those guys, just that it’s a bit ridiculous to act like we know 2 games in. He DID hang with both teams. They were close games. Obviously gotta get much much better. We’ll see if he/they can 

"The major issue with (blank) — and pretty much the biggest issue surrounding the entire team — centers around what kind of jump he can make if the (team) improve the quality of the playmakers around him and the offense is opened up when he’s in the lineup."

See if you can guess who this quote was about after his rookie season. It's only been 2 games (+3 preseason) but I see eerily similar issues.  OL struggles mixed with a lack of weapons and a conservative/vanilla approach to playcalling currently.  I know we're begging for the turnaround to finally arrive but deep breaths.