• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce DNP in practice 9-20-23

Samppson

21 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Are any of the anti-Young people hoping he fails or finding any enjoyment in the last 2 weeks?

I know I sure as hell am NOT

This is miserable, there is no enjoyment, and I desperately am hoping for Bryce to make me look like a complete fool.

But unfortunately all we've seen so far are the things those who didn't want Young felt were glaringly obvious flaws with him in the NFL.  Mainly that he doesn't have the arm or body strength to be an elite QB in today's NFL game and that he's a walking injury concern.

And I know I can only speak for myself, but I think others feel the same way...

Which is that we're not really all that upset at the way Bryce has played, but we felt that we gave up way too much in the trade to take a player with those risks and we're seeing the worst case scenario play out with us giving the Bears a Top 5 pick in a QB loaded draft instead of just being patient for one more year like a SMART franchise would have done.

The pro-Bryce people keep conflating our concerns with the trade with our concerns of Bryce, which don't get me wrong, we clearly have serious concerns with him, but they wouldn't be so bad if we didn't trade away our franchise's future to take him.

Honestly, the feeding frenzy on this site makes a statement that people ARE hoping he fails.  They seem to revel in it.  It may not be you, but take a breath and read the posts in one of the endless threads since Monday.

I'll admit, I got to that point with The Process......after two years, not two games.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

Young certainly could have had some INTs that game.   Got saved on that fumble too.  

just because they don’t happen doesn’t mean the bad play didn’t exist 

these guys around Bryce certainly don’t look ready to be grooming and developing an investment like Bryce.  This all looks like how you ruin a QB. 

Saved how? He couldn’t throw the ball because the receiver was being held downfield. Hence the flag. Also, his arm had started forward. But don’t let facts get in the way of you hating on your own QB.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, Growl said:

Well it sounds like you have a textbook case of valuing draft picks too much. Probably overlaps with a desire for having lots of cap space. 

What?!?!?!

Being upset that we're not going to have our own Top 5 pick in a draft that will have possibly upwards of 4 or 5 QB's who could all go in the Top 10 of said draft is overvaluing it?

That's absolute nonsense, just look at the value we gave up to move up to take a QB with serious question marks.

Williams is widely viewed as the best QB prospect in a very long time, if we gave up what we did to take Bryce, if anything, i'm undervaluing our draft pick next year, not overvaluing it.

13 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Saved how? He couldn’t throw the ball because the receiver was being held downfield. Hence the flag. Also, his arm had started forward. But don’t let facts get in the way of you hating on your own QB.

For the record, I’ve hardly said anything bad about Young.  I’m no BY hater.   I have had a lot to say about those around him and those who are failing him and failed him to date. 

I don’t want BY’s career to get sidetracked and ruined before it gets a legit shot/start.  I got no issue with BY.  

And I was talking about the poor job they did around BY before the season started.   People got mad about that.  Felt they were setting him up poorly. I had an issue with the skill talent, Frank calling plays and defenses being able to sit on the pass game.   And I also called people getting mad at Bryce because they wouldn’t acknowledge all the problems around  him before the season started.  When they were calling Miles Sanders an awesome do it all RB, that this was the best WR corp in a long time, defended Frank’s playcalling, etc  

my issue isn’t Young.  But this season has started pretty much how I called it. 

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

What?!?!?!

Being upset that we're not going to have our own Top 5 pick in a draft that will have possibly upwards of 4 or 5 QB's who could all go in the Top 10 of said draft is overvaluing it?

That's absolute nonsense, just look at the value we gave up to move up to take a QB with serious question marks.

Williams is widely viewed as the best QB prospect in a very long time, if we gave up what we did to take Bryce, if anything, i'm undervaluing our draft pick next year, not overvaluing it.

You had no assurance the team would have a top 1 pick. You had no assurance you would draft Caleb Williams. You had no assurance Caleb Williams would be a good nfl player.

You did have the assurance you could move into the first slot and take a top tier QB talent. You had the assurance that you were going to squander another prime season or defensive pieces like Brian burns and Derrick brown.

you’re afraid that you’re going to be bored this off-season. It starts and ends there.

what if the team stockpiled a bunch of cap space for the future? 

what if the team traded down and collected a whole bunch of picks in the middle rounds?

what if they took a chance on a plug and play veteran QB to hold the tide for one more season?

Then they would prolong their stint as a loser franchise and set another season ablaze with talented defensive cornerstones in place. 

no need to argue, we’ve seen your methodology and it’s inevitable result play out numerous times. It makes the off-season exciting for the loser fans who get sucked into lots of mock drafts and off-season hype and “he’s not with Adam gase anymore” and then the inevitable transpires when the things that actually matter start 

Edited by Growl

8 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Honestly, the feeding frenzy on this site makes a statement that people ARE hoping he fails.  They seem to revel in it.  It may not be you, but take a breath and read the posts in one of the endless threads since Monday.

I'll admit, I got to that point with The Process......after two years, not two games.

They just wanna be able to say "See I told you so" I guess so they can feel smarter than the rest of us here or something?  Its dumb, IMO.

16 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Totally fair

I'm just a "what if" person in the back of my mind, and this entire season is going to be a bummer for me when with every loss I'll just be thinking, "what if we still had our first rounder next year and would be looking at Williams/Maye instead of having someone smaller than half the high school QB's out there"

That sack he took where he was barely touched but just doesn't have the body strength to fight through it was exactly a fear of his size in terms of on the field and not even injury concerns.  In today's NFL game, you can't have a QB who is sacked on plays like that, that's one that every other QB in the league would have shrugged off.

The hand sack is extremely concerning 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Growl said:

You had no assurance the team would have a top 1 pick. You had no assurance you would draft Caleb Williams. You had no assurance Caleb Williams would be a good nfl player.

You did have the assurance you could move into the first slot and take a top tier QB talent. You had the assurance that you were going to squander another prime season or defensive pieces like Brian burns and Derrick brown.

you’re afraid that you’re going to be bored this off-season. It starts and ends there.

what if the team stockpiled a bunch of cap space for the future? 

what if the team traded down and collected a whole bunch of picks in the middle rounds?

what if they took a chance on a plug and play veteran QB to hold the tide for one more season?

Then they would prolong their stint as a loser franchise and set another season ablaze with talented defensive cornerstones in place. 

no need to argue, we’ve seen your methodology and it’s inevitable result play out numerous times.

This all fell apart at "top tier QB talent" as I never once have thought Bryce was that, even at my highest point of optimism, it never reached that.

He has a top tier QB brain, but not talent, significant difference between the two.  I was hoping (and still do hope) that brain can overcome the physical limitations he has, and it's very possible that happens.

But right now, his physical limitations actually look worse than I was even expecting, and that's not acceptable when we traded away everything we did to get him. 

It's risk vs reward and we took far too big of a risk given the limited upside of the reward.

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

This all fell apart at "top tier QB talent" as I never once have thought Bryce was that, even at my highest point of optimism, it never reached that.

He has a top tier QB brain, but not talent, significant difference between the two.  I was hoping (and still do hope) that brain can overcome the physical limitations he has, and it's very possible that happens.

But right now, his physical limitations actually look worse than I was even expecting, and that's not acceptable when we traded away everything we did to get him. 

It's risk vs reward and we took far too big of a risk given the limited upside of the reward.

Oh wow tell me more about your scouting evaluations 

13 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

You mean the brain that told him to line up in the shotgun under the right guard?

• Poo 1

20 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Nobody is hoping he fails, thats delusional we are mainly just discussing his play from preseason through monday night.  Pretty sure everyone on here wants to see bryce turn the corner because if he doesnt we are at ground zero again in 2ish years.  Every knowledgeable poster understands this

2 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

You mean the brain that told him to line up in the shotgun under the right guard?

That's one that I'm actually giving him a pass on, although it's definitely not the best look given his play so far, I actually think there is a decent chance that it was more on Sanders than Bryce

They broke the huddle and as any good QB would do, he immediately started surveying the defense and making his reads and used his peripheral vision to know where Sanders was and just lined up next to him without looking for the Center.

If you watch the replay, not only does Sanders push him into place, but he then also steps to his left, hence my point that he might have initially lined up too far to the right as well and Bryce just lined up the proper distance to his left while looking at the defense and not for the Center.