• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young QB School Week 2

Coheed

- give credit to the Saints defense, they stopped the run, covered well, and mixed up playcalling 

- If Thielen is still their best WR at the end of the year, the offense will continue to be painful to watch. He's not bad, but he won't generate anything beyond 5 to 15-yard gains.

- Need to generate more space to scheme guys open. As JT said, the offense looks condensed like it's suffocating 

- Bryce has to speed up his internal clock, every position group is faster now, if it's not there throw it away or run. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, frankw said:

I like how we're going for 2nd round pick Mingo's neck for having rookie struggles that were simultaneously making excuses for with our rookie QB we gave up a haul to select.

If a couple of comments about how Mingo's route running needs to get better constitutes "ringing his neck", then how would you describe the treatment Bryce has received on here over the last month?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I mean here were Mingo's weaknesses per his draft profile on NFL.com:

• Lacks juice out of breaks to separate from tight man underneath.
  • Feet are efficient but lack suddenness.
  • Unable to find a second gear to run down deep balls.
  • Needs to get head around quicker on seam and over routes.

All of these you can see in the first two games. Now, he's a rookie and he can definitely improve by putting in work. But we shouldn't be surprised that his routes aren't crisp yet and he's struggling to get separation - those were the knocks on him coming out of college.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, travisura said:

If a couple of comments about how Mingo's route running needs to get better constitutes "ringing his neck", then how would you describe the treatment Bryce has received on here over the last month?

We didn't give up a premium player and multiple firsts for Mingo while hyping him up as the most pro ready and cerebral player in the draft. I regularly observed folks here comparing Young to legends and hall of famers in multiple sports. The folks who created this illusion now want to yell foul about the reaction to the results and it's cringe.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, travisura said:

Scott and Fitt are the ones who need the heat.  This season has opened up just as predictably bad as the last 2 did.   Folks just didn't want to hear it.  Just like they didn't going into prior seasons. And that prediction of it going south early wasn't about Bryce.  It was about Frank and what he was putting around a rookie.  Nothing about it looked like this org was doing Young good.  It's all setup for Bryce to have to play well above what a rookie QB should be expected of.  It was easy to see this coming IMO. 

Cam was setup for success as a rookie

Bryce was setup to have a rough life 

And that's not hindsight.  People just didn't want to acknowledge that coming in.  

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

We didn't give up a premium player and multiple firsts for Mingo while hyping him up as the most pro ready and cerebral player in the draft. I regularly observed folks here comparing Young to legends and hall of famers in multiple sports. The folks who created this illusion now want to yell foul about the reaction to the results and it's cringe.

So what I'm gleaning from you here is that you're agreeing that the reaction to Bryce is much more severe than to that of Mingo (the reaction to Mingo being the one you chose to take exception to), but you believe the vitriol Bryce has received is justified based off of draft capitol used to obtain him, because after two games Bryce hasn't lived up to whatever lofty expectations you were somehow coerced into having by other posters here. 

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

Scott and Fitt are the ones who need the heat.  This season has opened up just as predictably bad as the last 2 did.   Folks just didn't want to hear it.  Just like they didn't going into prior seasons. And that prediction of it going south early wasn't about Bryce.  It was about Frank and what he was putting around a rookie.  Nothing about it looked like this org was doing Young good.  It's all setup for Bryce to have to play well above what a rookie QB should be expected of.  It was easy to see this coming IMO. 

Cam was setup for success as a rookie

Bryce was setup to have a rough life 

And that's not hindsight.  People just didn't want to acknowledge that coming in.  

Oh believe you me. I had a feeling this was gonna be rough. But the panthers media tried so hard to make it not seem so bad. People are saying we will be able to get some weapons for Bryce during the next offseason 

I don’t know if I trust Fitt to do that or for Reich to utilize them properly. 
Playcalling has been so, so bad. 

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tell that to your fellow mod who is comparing Bryce to Jimmy Clausen in every other thread.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I don’t know if I trust Fitt to do that or for Reich to utilize them properly. 
Playcalling has been so, so bad. 

I mean, we hired someone fired for his bland, predictable and boring offense.  I mean, you can go read old Indy stuff and find mirrored complaints.  A 60+ year old coach ain't changing his ways.  Which is why the Brown hire doesn't really matter.  Frank is calling the plays.  It's Frank's core offense. 

and we got weak skill talent.  that doesn't cater to what Bryce Young does well.

and this is the predictable result. 

3 minutes ago, travisura said:

So what I'm gleaning from you here is that you're agreeing that the reaction to Bryce is much more severe than to that of Mingo (the reaction to Mingo being the one you chose to take exception to), but you believe the vitriol Bryce has received is justified based off of draft capitol used to obtain him, because after two games Bryce hasn't lived up to whatever lofty expectations you were somehow coerced into having by other posters here. 

On the contrary. I expected a likely losing season again. I was sold that the trade was worth it because we would have a talented franchise QB to build around who in the meantime would be able to compensate to some degree for the lack of pieces around him because he was a "point guard" who could distribute the ball and make those around him better. What I've gotten instead is our rookie QB is the lowest rated in the league by PFF. It is not all on Bryce. But he's the signal caller and he's going to take a lot of the heat. Plenty of that heat should be going to Reich and Fitterer and moreso the Tepper's because I know they had a hand in steering the pick they might not have explicitly said draft him but when your boss clearly is in love with the prospect and he's constantly lurking around like Dracula what are you going to do? Back to Mingo. I'm expecting better from him but I'm sorry if I'm not angry about how he isn't A.J. Brown out of the gate but I wasn't sold on that with the pick. We knew he would be a work in progress and show some flashes in the meantime.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

On the contrary. I expected a likely losing season again. I was sold that the trade was worth it because we would have a talented franchise QB to build around who in the meantime would be able to compensate to some degree for the lack of pieces around him because he was a "point guard" who could distribute the ball and make those around him better. What I've gotten instead is our rookie QB is the lowest rated in the league by PFF. It is not all on Bryce. But he's the signal caller and he's going to take a lot of the heat. Plenty of that heat should be going to Reich and Fitterer and moreso the Tepper's because I know they had a hand in steering the pick they might not have explicitly said draft him but when your boss clearly is in love with the prospect and he's constantly lurking around like Dracula what are you going to do? Back to Mingo. I'm expecting better from him but I'm sorry if I'm not angry about how he isn't A.J. Brown out of the gate but I wasn't sold on that with the pick. We knew he would be a work in progress and show some flashes in the meantime.

It is entirely too early to make a determination on whether or not the trade was worth it. That's really all there is to say.

P.S.: I agree about Mingo. I also realize that he's not going to be AJ Brown, especially after only 2 games. I just noticed how you took exception to a handful of comments about his poor performance so far (which weren't even mean spirited), but let slide the absolute poo slinging that Bryce has received since the first preseason game.

• Pie 1