• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If they leaned hard into a rebuild, this would be much easier to swallow

Knaakedup

50 minutes ago, CRA said:

The Wilks Panthers were not good.  There was nothing to build off of.  We weren't coming into this season building off that.   

The one time the Wilks Panthers stepped on the field with an actually good team that got smashed into the ground.  Game over in a couple minutes into the first.  They weren't playing modern football.  It was an anomaly of 1960s era football matching up w/ some of the worst run defenses in the game. 

Would it have been wise to air it out when your best option was Darnold though?

Gotta work with what you have. 

You don't trade a future first and second round pick if you are rebuilding. That is often why trade ups for QB's don't work. The price to get them is too high for what you often need to put around them to succeed.

Would've been just as good drafting Dorian Thompson-Robinson in the 4th round, and trading down in the first to get guys like O'Cyrus Torrance, Dalton Kincaid, Zach Charbonnet, Marvin Mims, etc. and I really think DTR has a decent ceiling in this league.

You trade up to number one for a generational talent. Bryce may be good, but he's not a generational type of player. 

Tepper pushed this to sell tickets and merchandise, and probably to get some prime time slots on TV for additional revenue. We all knew Tepper was pushing it; or maybe not all but some. He's been begging for a QB, and taking retreads and former stars to get eye balls for money. Its not for wins. It's for money. 

So we've wasted God knows how many resources at this point on QB chasing when we could have built an amazing core of talent to surround even a decent QB.

All because of Tepper jumping over a quarter to make a nickel.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

18 hours ago, Knaakedup said:

This staff came into this season all wrong. Instead of leading everyone on with making us think and believe we were "just a QB away" from contending, they should have leaned hard into a rebuild and all of this would be much easier to swallow. 

Not only that, we literally have nobody on this roster that is a "cornerstone player" like Luke, TD, Olsen, or Cam. This team is just so sad and unrecognizable compared to previous iterations. We've had 2 strong eras of different players that gave this team an identity, first being the Delhomme, Smitty, and Peppers time. Both of these eras led to a Super Bowl. I look at this mish mash of random players and theres just no fuging way we're going anywhere close to the promised land any time soon. There isn't a single player on this team that I am attached to like I have been during each one of those eras. 

Fit is a complete dumbass for not taking those picks for Burns last year, which would have set us up nicely to retain capital we needed to find those future cornerstone players and not come into the season with a wide receiver group that share lead soles in their cleats. That whiff alone is an offense that should have him sailing away into the sunset. What are we going to do now? Pay top 5 DE money for a middle of the pack player that shows up every other game? Trade him when everyone knows that we would only be trading him to get away from that contract so we will end up with half of what was offered last year? fuging disaster.

Since game 1 of preseason we have looked like a complete dumpster fire with offensive ideas from Madden on easy mode. I cannot wrap my head around how we are so damn cursed with offense here. I know people are saying to give Frank time, blah, blah, blah, but c'mon guys, his poo does not pass the eye test. Our offense looks the exact same as it did in preseason when we "weren't showing our hand". 

My desire to watch Andy Dalton be our QB this weekend puts me as a fan at an all time low. Like, somehow worse than an imaginary game with Pickles as our QB and Rhule being the coach. 

No opinion yet on Bryce, he's a complete "whatever, man" in my world right now until he has something that resembles a competent coaching staff that properly builds around his strengths and for the love of god, get some real weapons. 

Other than that we should be offloading everyone else. Burn this ship to the ground and try again before we waste more years. Frank is not the guy, I've seen enough. Amass as much draft capital as possible, trade back every round, i don't give a fug, but own the fact that we've done nothing but make bad move after bad move for the last 4 years and commit to fixing it, not slapping bandaids on it to keep butts in the seats. I'm sure someone will chime in here "who do you suggest as a coach, genius" and to that I say - no fuging clue, I'm not that guy, but lord knows I have seen enough bad coaching staffs being a fan of this team to already know this one isn't taking us where we want to go. 

Lin Manuel Miranda Love GIF by Tony Awards

• Pie 1

I’m guessing Tepper was locked into Ben Johnson and when he pulled out, had to scramble and reset. I agree that Steichen should’ve been the choice, but I’m not sure he’d have been able to assemble the staff that Reich did. I do wish that given this is his second go as a HC, he’d have reassessed his approach and wasn’t married to being the play caller. I get that Brown has only been a RB and WR coach prior to the OC gig, but if he really believes in him, he’d give him the keys. I feel like Reich did this backwards - let Brown be the play caller and if things looked like poo, he could easily step in and take over. Now he feels under fire and seems to be stubbornly tightening his grip on the playcalling and all the onus is going to fall on him. 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, CRA said:

The Wilks Panthers were not good.  There was nothing to build off of.  We weren't coming into this season building off that.   

The one time the Wilks Panthers stepped on the field with an actually good team that got smashed into the ground.  Game over in a couple minutes into the first.  They weren't playing modern football.  It was an anomaly of 1960s era football matching up w/ some of the worst run defenses in the game. 

Yes but they could beat this well resourced Frank Reich team that is 0-5 when you include preseason. Steve Wilks has never been given resources, and you can argue he has never been given a fair shot. Wilks would have had this team putting up a better showing. 

Wilks team  last year would have beat this squad at almost a 90% clip. This team lacks an identity. If your response is Wilks team wasn’t good then this poo here that Tepper and Fitts put resources behind is an abomination. 

The play calling was better last year with Darnold and that speaks loud and clear about Reich and his offense so far. 

Edited by Beast_3000

28 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

Yes but they could beat this well resourced Frank Reich team that is 0-5 when you include preseason. Steve Wilks has never been given resources, and you can argue he has never been given a fair shot. Wilks would have had this team putting up a better showing. 

Wilks team  last year would have beat this squad at almost a 90% clip. This team lacks an identity. If your response is Wilks team wasn’t good then this poo here that Tepper and Fitts put resources behind is an abomination. 

The play calling was better last year with Darnold and that speaks loud and clear about Reich and his offense so far. 

I completely agree with this, which blows my mind. 

31 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

Ok.  But being able to play 1960s football to beat dysfunctional teams or teams those that simply can’t stop the run…..isn’t something worth caring about being. 

I didn’t want Wilks.  Just like I didn’t want Frank.  If my options were just those 2? I would just kept Wilks.  But that’s not what a team should striving to be in 2023. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Ok.  But being able to play 1960s football to beat dysfunctional teams or teams those that simply can’t stop the run…..isn’t something worth caring about being. 

I didn’t want Wilks.  Just like I didn’t want Frank.  If my options were just those 2? I would just kept Wilks.  But that’s not what a team should striving to be in 2023. 

I fully agree with this as well. We’re currently at the bottom as an organization with no clear path to the top. 

• Beer 1