• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what has Reich exactly accomplished to get the #1 pick and an immediate second chance?!?

TheBigKat

Bill Walsh: 2-14,  Season 2: 6-10

Tom Landry: 0-11-1

Jimmy Johnson: 1-15

Chuck Noll: 1-13 (Record of 31-42 before Steelers owned the 70's)

Bill Parcells (Giants): 3-12-1 (Nearly fired after first season, stuck with him and they won 2 Superbowls under his leadership)

Bud Grant: 3-8-3

*Andy Reid: 5-11 (Didn't win a Superbowl until the Chiefs, regardless of how many NFC championship games)

*Tony Dungy: 6-10

*Bill Belichick: 6-10

- *Fired from first head coaching job before finding sustained success

Am I saying that Frank Reich is a hall-of-fame coach because these guys were? No. But what I am saying is that getting an accurate depiction of a head coach after 3 games? Absurd. He hasn't built the team he wants yet. Any head coach deserves two full seasons to receive a fair evaluation. If you see growth or believe the vision is coming to fruition? Stick it out. If you think the coach is flailing and has no answers, vision, or understanding for what has happened? You cut and run. This was ALWAYS going to take more than one season. We were never a team on the brink. We were a team with oddly fitting, talented parts with massive holes, and 2 years of misdirection at the helm. This season, we will see players rise and fall. The roster will change, the coaching staff will likely be shuffled, and perhaps even the front office too. But if there is any truth in history, the right match of QB and coach will make the difference. And time will tell. But Frank got to choose his guy. Enjoy the successes and grumble about the failures, but having high expectations and calling for jobs at this juncture because YOU are upset? That's your fault as a fan. The best thing I ever did was take that step back and realize, I can't do a damn thing about what is happening. So I'll root for the team anyway and hope for the best. But the owner, GM, and coach aren't considering my feelings or any of yours. Do with that what you will. 

Oh... and btw... those of you saying that this season is worse than 2001 or 2010? It isn't. Not by a long shot.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I didn't see the 4th one but the first three were all under pressure or actually being hit in the act of throwing. All three were balls he should've just ate and taken the sack so that's on him but their pass protection was possibly the worst I've ever personally seen at the NFL level which is a powerful statement from a long time Panthers fan. 😂

Technically he is a rookie. He’ll learn. 

11 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Technically he is a rookie. He’ll learn. 

I just hope he doesn't get ruined behind this OL or can at least show enough that this doesn't become his only shot to make it as a starter. The Bills' pass rush without Von Miller doesn't hold a candle to what teams like Philly and Dallas are gonna bring. The Commanders better get a helluva screen and quick slants game going because they're going to have to scheme to slow down a pass rush with their OL powerless to do it themselves.

Pretty simple really, I don’t blame Reich for any of this. He’s not a great coach, but every bit of this falls on the clown that owns this franchise. He has made exactly ZERO positive moves since becoming the owner. He has zero football and people IQ. 

Edited by ickmule
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

"We're going to do the opposite of what everyone else is doing... that's the only way to innovate. [When designing an offense] you should break the rules of what previous coaches have taught. If you're following the rules, the defense has the advantage." -Mike McDaniel

versus

screen pass to Thielen on 3rd and 9

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Evero is legit.  Last year I was very against hiding a DC for the job and I've completely changed my mind. Evero is smart and aggressive in his play calling and the D looked bad in the second half but he was out his two starting LBs, a safety, and two starting corners... several of which were lost in game (harder to scheme around than those lost before it).  When given a chance to scheme he hides weaknesses and beings out a good squad imo.

Wilks wasn't any of those things? I really hope people can appreciate the miracle that was finishing 6-6 with him as the head coach last year. The guy coached his ass off and got poo on for it.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Wilks wasn't any of those things? I really hope people can appreciate the miracle that was finishing 6-6 with him as the head coach last year. The guy coached his ass off and got poo on for it.

Wilks as an HC was not particularly aggressive, no.  I also did say my opinion changed on preferring an OC. Wilks did an admirable job with what he had.

I wouldn't have been upset with Wilks either. I wanted Steichen, but was impressed by Reichs staff. So much for that.

8 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

The Raiders did the same thing. The team was a dumpster fire, the intern comes in and the team looks respectful again, they fire the intern to hire a retread, the team returns to being a dumpster fire. 

Why not ride the hot hand? What sense did it make to erase the oasis own as the Wilks era to hire a guy Jim Isray did not want to keep employed.

Like the Raiders we are a bad organization. BOA will also be 70/30 opposing fans every Sunday by 2025.

12 minutes ago, Teddy2SuperBowlHeartBreaks said:

The Raiders did the same thing. The team was a dumpster fire, the intern comes in and the team looks respectful again, they fire the intern to hire a retread, the team returns to being a dumpster fire. 

Why not ride the hot hand? What sense did it make to erase the oasis own as the Wilks era to hire a guy Jim Isray did not want to keep employed.

Like the Raiders we are a bad organization. BOA will also be 70/30 opposing fans every Sunday by 2025.

Wilks is also a guy from Charlotte, who played locally, and while he probably prefers a more smashmouth version of a football team, you tailor what you run to who you have. Wilks wouldn't have passed up on a game breaking QB and offensive scheme if we had the personnel for it and I think that's what Tepper feared.

You see the 49er's hire an offensive minded head coach and where do they spend their money? On defense. 

Wilks would've likely had the defense humming while being the type of leader the team needed, that guys would run through a brick wall for, and we saw that. It wasn't even a hot hand situation as much as it was rhat Wilks showed that he could get more out of less, much more.

Imagine how demeaning it would feel, being Wilks, and coming back to Charlotte to coach your hometown team as a DB coach for Matt Rhule. Then you get the head coaching job, fire a bunch of dudes, completely change the offensive philosophy of the team, and come within Ickey Ekwonu getting beat like a drum in four or five plays of making the playoffs. Then you don't get the job permanently and instead the Panthers hire a guy fired mid-season. 

At this point, give me Luke Kuechly. If there is anyone who could step in and be a head coach right away, it's Luke. Someone will hire him at some point and I'd rather it be the Panthers.

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Evero is legit.  Last year I was very against hiding a DC for the job and I've completely changed my mind. Evero is smart and aggressive in his play calling and the D looked bad in the second half but he was out his two starting LBs, a safety, and two starting corners... several of which were lost in game (harder to scheme around than those lost before it).  When given a chance to scheme he hides weaknesses and beings out a good squad imo.

Honestly, the way to go here might be to dump Reich midseason and let Evero take command to see what he's got in him. Get Brown operating the offense and see what the difference looks like. 

If its night and day, then that answers the questions and we proceed with them without having to do a full coaching staff rebuild. 

Fit still has to go though.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He is not even crosby at this point, his ass got drug all over the field yesterday

I think I was wrong arguing against the Burns trade last year. 

I really like him, but unless the team does some crazy 180, it’s pointless giving him a big contract. 

And it’s looking like Wilks overachieved down the stretch, and I was fooled. 

Our team looks lost, the best players can’t stay in the field, and the lack of depth is slapping us in the face, and we may have picked the wrong QB.

Just a big ouch all around. 

If we aren’t about .500 at the trade deadline, he needs to be moved for picks, even if it won’t be as much as the Rams offer. 

If we were “close” like Fitt said, keeping him makes sense…but we don’t look close at all. 

• Pie 1