• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Tarik look ready?

TheCasillas

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Did you not read my comment? 
think tom and jerry GIF

Yeah I did, the one where you said part of our dead money was restructures?  That was a chuckle.

Otherwise, my point stands we have 55mil in dead money.  That is to say, 55mil of our 2023 cap space is committed to players who aren't on the team.  There is nothing misleading about that.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Yeah I did, the one where you said part of our dead money was restructures?  That was a chuckle.

Otherwise, my point stands we have 55mil in dead money.  That is to say, 55mil of our 2023 cap space is committed to players who aren't on the team.  There is nothing misleading about that.

I mean, there is though.

You're saying that we're straight up paying $55M for folks to not play for us, which simply isn't true when given the context. For example, those DJ Moore + CMC numbers are from trades for draft picks. The way these are typically evaluated (as Casillas pointed out in a previous post somewhere, maybe not this thread) are by a point system based on how much the teams believe a player is "worth." This isn't simply a "We're just paying people to not pay for us." This is a, "We traded two of our premiere players for draft capital (one of them being a move up to #1 for a potential franchise QB)."

When you remove those two players (DJ + CMC), that $55M falls to $21M. That's less than half of the number you're pitching a fit over. If you go even further and remove the Chosen Anderson contract (which was universally regarded as a bad extension), that number drops to ~$12M. This is during a season where the league average for dead cap is nearly $29M for a team.

Your current presentation of the issue is limited to your frustration which excludes the circumstances involved. As a result of you choosing to dismiss said context, you've come across as being misleading.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

Maybe it’s better to wait until next year to see if it’s still 7th… I’d be willing to bet it’s not even top 10.  It’s just not how the nfl salary cap works.

also, going year by year and choosing when it is its highest.. is not the best way to evaluate a contract total cost. You want to do TCV over MS .. not YOY cap hit 

maybe it's 7th.  maybe it ends up being 10th.  I doubt it changes much because new deals that get signed will follow the same pattern of that first year being very friendly to their cap (like Miles was this year). 

regardless, it will be too much cap space dedicated to an early down committee RB.  And those type runners are dirt cheap.  See the Foreman rental the other year. 

Impact of the cap in a given year is all that matters to me.  And we have a long history of bad contracts.   Look at how much cap space Robbie Anderson is occupying this season in Carolina.  Was always stupid.  We consistently overpay role-players like they are better than are simply because we seemly wish for them to be better. 

1 minute ago, Icege said:

I mean, there is though.

You're saying that we're straight up paying $55M for folks to not play for us, which simply isn't true when given the context. For example, those DJ Moore + CMC numbers are from trades for draft picks. The way these are typically evaluated (as Casillas pointed out in a previous post somewhere, maybe not this thread) are by a point system based on how much the teams believe a player is "worth." This isn't simply a "We're just paying people to not pay for us." This is a, "We traded two of our premiere players for draft capital (one of them being a move up to #1 for a potential franchise QB)."

When you remove those two players (DJ + CMC), that $55M falls to $21M. That's less than half of the number you're pitching a fit over. If you go even further and remove the Chosen Anderson contract (which was universally regarded as a bad extension), that number drops to ~$12M. This is during a season where the league average for dead cap is nearly $29M for a team.

Your current presentation of the issue is limited to your frustration which excludes the circumstances involved. As a result of you choosing to dismiss said context, you've come across as being misleading.

Relax guy, no one is pitching a fit.  Just stating that we're paying a lot of money for players not on the roster, which is true no matter how you chop up the conversation.  I appreciate the deeper explanation on DJ and CMC and how that is nuanced.

With your explanation I think we can agree that amounts to us paying 34mil for Bryce Young and DJ Johnson in 2023.

I think the merit of paying Burns survives under either circumstance.  Just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

maybe it's 7th.  maybe it ends up being 10th.  I doubt it changes much because new deals that get signed will follow the same pattern of that first year being very friendly to their cap (like Miles was this year). 

regardless, it will be too much cap space dedicated to an early down committee RB.  And those type runners are dirt cheap.  See the Foreman rental the other year. 

Impact of the cap in a given year is all that matters to me.  And we have a long history of bad contracts.   Look at how much cap space Robbie Anderson is occupying this season in Carolina.  Was always stupid.  We consistently overpay role-players like they are better than are simply because we seemly wish for them to be better. 

Overpay is subjective in the miles scenario. We really don’t know where he lands on worth because it’s only week 4. If he goes off for 5. + TDS and 1k yards… then no one is going to be mad that he makes 5 million per year 

In all honesty, as fans we shouldn’t give a poo about what these players get paid… it’s a waste of energy and doesn’t impact us at all. The only time I’d get frustrated is something like the RA contract or Sean Gilbert.

52 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Overpay is subjective in the miles scenario. We really don’t know where he lands on worth because it’s only week 4. If he goes off for 5. + TDS and 1k yards… then no one is going to be mad that he makes 5 million per year 

In all honesty, as fans we shouldn’t give a poo about what these players get paid… it’s a waste of energy and doesn’t impact us at all. The only time I’d get frustrated is something like the RA contract or Sean Gilbert.

It's his 5th year in the NFL.  5 years in at the RB spot, you pretty much are what you are. At least that's how you should be paid.   Could something change?   Sure. But you shouldn't pay RBs going into year 5 off hopes and wishes.  We did. 

I don't give a rip about how much any player takes home.  I only care about the cap space game.   And when you start adding up players like Miles, Robbie, etc taking up way more cap space than they should.....it eventually impacts what you can do with your roster. 

2 hours ago, DJ feed me moore said:

samir suliman, cap wizard!!!! no but fr get that fuging CLOWN out of the building.

He's the one Front Office appointment I've not been disappointed with. He needs to stay in his Salary Cap lane though and stop putting his two cents worth about Draft prospects into the mix.

33 minutes ago, CRA said:

It's his 5th year in the NFL.  5 years in at the RB spot, you pretty much are what you are. At least that's how you should be paid.   Could something change?   Sure. But you shouldn't pay RBs going into year 5 off hopes and wishes.  We did. 

I don't give a rip about how much any player takes home.  I only care about the cap space game.   And when you start adding up players like Miles, Robbie, etc taking up way more cap space than they should.....it eventually impacts what you can do with your roster. 

Robby? Yes. Miles? No. 

18 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

dw we will have another 9 million bonehead move in Djax there next year! #fittsmagic

Dw?

if we cut Djax… it’s dead 9 but save 6. So it’s 3 million less. That’s if it is pre-6/1. It’s a hypothetical that I really think would be a waste of time to explore because it’s a year away and meaningless to discuss.