• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers have a Shotgun problem

Newtcase

Thing are not going well, but trying to constantly run out of the shotgun is not going to work.  Sure, our guards are pretty terrible, especially Zavala; and Icky is defiantly having sophomore slump as he is being transitioned away from what he's really good at (power run blocking).  We do not have the guys who can win in that set up.  What many in Panthers social media have been saying: we need to get back to power running, that's the coaches issue.  The lack of motion is a coaching issue.  The fact that defenses don't have to defend past 10 yards is an offensive issue.

What made Bryce special was his ability to improvise in and out of the pocket.  Again, I think we have a coaching issue where Frank and Co are trying to put a square peg in a round hole too often.  Bryce has looked his best when he's able to make plays, and there aren't enough opportunities to do so.

Many teams move to the RPO/Read Option game is because they have QBs they can use for that.  Bryce is a brain - not a Jalen Hurts, Cam Newton, AR or anyone else who has run ability in their game.  The Panthers and Reich need to stop calling so many plays based on the RPO and find 5 or so power runs and Play Action from them.  Get a 300 lb fullback out there.  The Panthers need to figure out how to lean on a D, even if it's with 5 plays.  Sure, we don't have a hammer back, but Chuba is running hard.  

Reich is far too predictable because most of his run plays are RPO to the interior OL on first down.  If a moron like me see that, then smart NFL folks do.  

24 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Thing are not going well, but trying to constantly run out of the shotgun is not going to work.  Sure, our guards are pretty terrible, especially Zavala; and Icky is defiantly having sophomore slump as he is being transitioned away from what he's really good at (power run blocking).  We do not have the guys who can win in that set up.  What many in Panthers social media have been saying: we need to get back to power running, that's the coaches issue.  The lack of motion is a coaching issue.  The fact that defenses don't have to defend past 10 yards is an offensive issue.

What made Bryce special was his ability to improvise in and out of the pocket.  Again, I think we have a coaching issue where Frank and Co are trying to put a square peg in a round hole too often.  Bryce has looked his best when he's able to make plays, and there aren't enough opportunities to do so.

Many teams move to the RPO/Read Option game is because they have QBs they can use for that.  Bryce is a brain - not a Jalen Hurts, Cam Newton, AR or anyone else who has run ability in their game.  The Panthers and Reich need to stop calling so many plays based on the RPO and find 5 or so power runs and Play Action from them.  Get a 300 lb fullback out there.  The Panthers need to figure out how to lean on a D, even if it's with 5 plays.  Sure, we don't have a hammer back, but Chuba is running hard.  

Reich is far too predictable because most of his run plays are RPO to the interior OL on first down.  If a moron like me see that, then smart NFL folks do.  

I appreciate the thoughtful response but the crux of this post was whether or not we had a tell.

Sure, Bryce has only taken 27 snaps from center for “reasons”.  That’s not the issue I’m asking to analyze.

The issue is, of those 27 snaps we’ve ran the ball 26 times.  We are telling the defense that if we snap from center we’re running the ball.  We either need to mix a respectable number of passes from under center snaps or just abandon it completely.  I’ll chart tomorrow as well and see if anything changes.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Beer 1

When Frank was fired in SD in 2015…87% of the offensive snaps were from shotgun that year.  He was always heavy shotgun in Indy. 

it’s what Frank is. And that’s when Frank wasn’t paired with a super young shotgun heavy Bama QB named Bryce Young.  

it’s a bad marriage.  One of many we have. 

and yes, it turns into a tell IMO.  That teams that virtually never go under C become very predictable under C.  

Im fine with a heavy shotgun RPO look if you got a legit runner at QB.  Run game can work great in that scenario.  Eagles, Ravens and the Cam Panthers have shown that.  We aren’t going to run the ball well with a small ball QB that can’t run….running out of the gun.  You are going to need to supplement the run with the short pass and we don’t have the personnel.  Which was always silly entering this year without it.  We have early down committee rushers 

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, Newtcase said:

I appreciate the thoughtful response but the crux of this post was whether or not we had a tell.

Sure, Bryce has only taken 27 snaps from center for “reasons”.  That’s not the issue I’m asking to analyze.

The issue is, of those 27 snaps we’ve ran the ball 26 times.  We are telling the defense that if we snap from center we’re running the ball.  We either need to mix a respectable number of passes from under center snaps or just abandon it completely.  I’ll chart tomorrow as well and see if anything changes.

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but I think it might have a lot to do with Young’s height unfortunately.

Young isn’t able to scan the field from under center pre snap. He simply can’t see. So he’d be dropping back blind on a passing play.