• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer on Reich, Tepper, Fitterer and Ben Johnson

Mr. Scot

Key passage:

...it sounds like what I’ve heard from others who’ve worked for Tepper—he’s taken his approach to running a hedge fund into the NFL world, in keeping his thumb on those who work for him and keeping heat on everyone to perform. And Reich is correct to say there are a lot of owners who don’t operate like that (a bunch don’t even live in the cities their teams play in and aren’t around the office much).

I think it was Charles Robinson who previously said there were a lot of reports that Tepper was considered around the league as a difficult person to work for.

Stories like this don't exactly help that reputation.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

All we can do is hope that Tepper wakes up one day and looks in the mirror and realizes this isn't working and I'm the root of the problem.

I'd say the likelihood of that is pretty damn close to zero. He made billions in a different venture.  He thinks he can do no wrong and everything he touches will turn to gold. It's a turd sandwich Dave, eat up.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, toldozer said:

I'd say the likelihood of that is pretty damn close to zero. He made billions in a different venture.  He thinks he can do no wrong and everything he touches will turn to gold. It's a turd sandwich Dave, eat up.

You're probably not wrong but that's the hope we have to cling to. Either that or the hope that somehow through sheer dumb luck we overcome a meddling, micromanaging owner who has proven he's pretty incompetent on matters related to the sport of football.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're probably not wrong but that's the hope we have to cling to. Either that or the hope that somehow through sheer dumb luck we overcome a meddling, micromanaging owner who has proven he's pretty incompetent on matters related to the sport of football.

I mean Jerry Jones has finally put together a decent team.  We only have to wait like 22 more years and he'll eventually make some good decisions as acting gm

Keeping pressure on people to perform is entirely different from actively controlling football operations. I don't think Tepper is running our draft, FA, and calling plays. Sure, he's probably an asshole to work for but not once have I been given the impression that he's a puppet master.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'm not saying Tepper hasn't made mistakes, but this idea of meddling is getting a bit overblown, or at the very least meddling has a vary broad meaning based on who you talk to.

Calling a coach into your office to ask why he is 0-5, and expecting better, isn't meddling, its caring and holding an employee accountable.  

Playing GM and making every pick on draft day is meddling.  Deciding every free agent pick up is meddling.  Calling plays from the owners suite is meddling.

• Pie 9