• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Donte Jackson to(o) valuable to trade away

ncfan

Donte is here for the balance of this season, after which he'll be designated a post 6/1 cut.  His cap hit next year is far too high, and we've already restructured him once pushing 7.5 million into the three years after his contract expires.

But for this year, he's here.  With our depth and injury history, we need him.

13 minutes ago, ncfan said:

If it were only 1 mil sure.

but we’re talking 10-15 mil.

which ain’t worth holding onto a mid CB for that

10 mil in cap plus a 6th would be absurd to turn down for Donte.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers

The overall savings does make it more of a consideration although when I do the math using that link it looks to be around $7.4 million (Roughly $1.4 million saved this year since we're a little over a 3rd of the way through the year, plus $6 million saved in 2024).

I guess the point being that outside corners are not easy to replace compared to a WR4 or OLB/safety and given a late draft pick has a better chance than not of being cut within 2 years in the league, we're basically banking on replacing Donte for less than $7 million, which as quickly as contracts are inflating, isn't a foregone conclusion. I'm with Fitterer in that I wouldn't be in a rush to ship him off for a late pick unless we had a built in replacement on the roster and we don't unless Horn suddenly becomes reliably healthy. 

40 minutes ago, ncfan said:

If it were only 1 mil sure.

but we’re talking 10-15 mil.

which ain’t worth holding onto a mid CB for that

10 mil in cap plus a 6th would be absurd to turn down for Donte.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers

Also about 90% of the cap savings will come next year. I'd rather trade him in the offseason when we can have a plan to replace him through free agency/draft/etc. Trading him now when we basically have no one to replace him and no means to replace him, only to save an extra $1 million compared to trading him after the year is over doesn't make sense. Our games will be even more unwatchable counting on CJ Henderson as our #1 CB.

18 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Also about 90% of the cap savings will come next year. I'd rather trade him in the offseason when we can have a plan to replace him through free agency/draft/etc. Trading him now when we basically have no one to replace him and no means to replace him, only to save an extra $1 million compared to trading him after the year is over doesn't make sense. Our games will be even more unwatchable counting on CJ Henderson as our #1 CB.

Donte or CJ it doesn't really matter, they both are jags. QBs can pass at will on either one. 

• Pie 1

I think people overestimate how many actual good CBs there are in the league these days.

Donte, even with his struggles, is likely still one of the top 30-40 CBs in the NFL, maybe even better than that.

So yea, seeing as Horn can't stay on the field, he kinda is too valuable to trade away or else we'll be starting even worse players at corner.