• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Justin Fields as a backup next season?

CamWhoaaCam

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Kap 2.0

Who would they take with the first 2 picks though?

If Harbaugh goes to the Bears he takes Caleb with that top pick. I just think Harbaugh would be a nice coach to save Fields. For example say the Raiders move on from McDaniels. That’s a nice spot for Harbaugh and Fields. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I don't see any scenario in which we draft another QB. I think the draft will be about getting some help for Bryce either Oline/WR/TE.

I do see one scenario, and that's where Tepper decides to clean house. A new GM/HC may not want Bryce Young.

Edited by top dawg

3 minutes ago, Hogan said:

I knew when he got hurt against Clemson in the 2019 playoff game that his style of play would lead to a short NFL career.

So, no. He's fine in Chicago.

I mean, that's reasonable, but he looked like a helluva lot better passer in that game than he has in the NFL. I think that it may ultimately be due to his lack of processing on the pro level. 

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I do see one scenario, and that's where Tepper decides to clean house. A new GM/HC may not want Bryce Young.

Young still gets 2024 IMO. 2025 would be the earliest but a lot of things would need to happen. Young struggling, new GM and HC, and we have a top pick with a top QB sitting there to draft. 

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He can do that with Fields on the roster. Are you fearful he might lose his job to Fields?

no, why would we give up assets for a backup quarterback? We literally need so many holes field and already have a backup QB on our roster next season. Even if the Bears draft Williams/Maye  i'm sure someone could rent Fields for a year for a 2nd. We need a better use of our 2nd/3rd than that. 

Need some real and honest competition at that position moving forward if we expect to win games, but will pass on Fields. If this current quarterback doesn't improve by year's end then just draft or sign another one and let them honestly compete. Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied with your QB room. 

If the kid could win an honest competition, I'd feel much better about him. That goes for every quarterback, and every position. But he couldn't beat out Dalton though, I don't think, this year. 

This is what you get with Fields. He’s a QB with the highest peaks, but the lowest valleys. He’s got two 300-yard 4 TD games sandwiched between two games of <100 passing yards and 1 combined TD. I don’t recall ever seeing a QB so wildly inconsistent…and it feels like if we’re talking about hoping for more consistency for a QB halfway into his third season, the odds don’t look great for him.

I imagine 32/32 NFL GMs would rather have a less talented but more consistent QB. You can’t win with a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at QB in the NFL, and Fields’ record shows that.

IMG_0067.jpeg