• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is Adam Thielen able to get open?

Ricky Prickles

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I would love to know what some opeoples definition of a clean pocket is in the NFL because unless you are going up against a absolute dog poo defense you rarely get that. At Alabama he was able to throw with nobody within 5 feet of him most of the time because the talent gap with his team and the other team was to great. That will never be the case In the NFL. You must be able to make throws in a muddy pocket, its always been like that. If bryce cant make throws with defenders around him thats a problem that just cant be fixed in the long run.

NFL "clean pocket" = not having defenders arms/bodies in the way of the QB's throwing motion. 

Bryce needs to learn to step up in the pocket instead of moving laterally.  Our offensive line also needs to learn how to provide that opportunity more often as well. 

I think the Young - Thielen connection goes beyond simply his ability to get open.  Young is an anticipation thrower, and anticipation throws are predicated on a high degree of trust that your receiver is going to break exactly when he's supposed to and run his route at exactly the depth he's supposed to.  I don't think Bryce necessarily needs elite receivers who can get open on every play (although that would obviously be ideal), rather than smart receivers who excel in route running who he can trust to be exactly where they are supposed to be when he releases the ball.  TMJ, Mingo, Chark, and Shenault don't strike me as proficient route runners.

What worries me about anticipation throws is that they seem like they have such a slim margin for error.  I've seen some elite anticipation throws from Bryce, but I don't think it's sustainable to rely on it as your bread and butter.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Young is an anticipation thrower,

No, he's not.  That's part of his problem.  Young is a "playmaker", off schedule, out of structure point guard.  Go back and look at all the draft profiles.  

What's happening now is that he's no longer athletic enough to create consistently.  He's having to become more accustomed to throwing with anticipation and he's not there yet. 

In the NFL, you have to make the defense scared of your ability to play from the pocket.  No one is scared of Bryce Young playing from the pocket.  Stats bear this out; Young is one of the least blitzed QB's in the league - as a rookie!

Hopefully he puts it together.  His best chance to become "that guy" is to start beating teams from the pocket.  That brings more blitzes.  Then - hopefully - his chances to become that guy he was in college will show back up.

Edited by BrianS

On 10/22/2023 at 9:20 PM, jfra78 said:

I thought the whole reason the Huddle wanted Bryce was he had mediocre WRs in college but was still a stud.  Now the whole reason he is playing terrible is he has mediocre WRs.  Seems there is always an excuse for Bryce

Thielen is Mediocre, the rest of the WR is just trash.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

On 10/23/2023 at 12:48 PM, MasterAwesome said:

I think the Young - Thielen connection goes beyond simply his ability to get open.  Young is an anticipation thrower, and anticipation throws are predicated on a high degree of trust that your receiver is going to break exactly when he's supposed to and run his route at exactly the depth he's supposed to.  I don't think Bryce necessarily needs elite receivers who can get open on every play (although that would obviously be ideal), rather than smart receivers who excel in route running who he can trust to be exactly where they are supposed to be when he releases the ball.  TMJ, Mingo, Chark, and Shenault don't strike me as proficient route runners.

What worries me about anticipation throws is that they seem like they have such a slim margin for error.  I've seen some elite anticipation throws from Bryce, but I don't think it's sustainable to rely on it as your bread and butter.

Yeah I'm not convinced that the deep ball issue is Bryce's accuracy. More often than not he's throwing it along their route, just too late or too soon. I'm not sure how much getting that timing down is on him vs the recievers but the fact that our best route runner and probably the slowest of the group is the one thriving speaks volumes

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

Thielen is Mediocre, the rest of the WR is just trash.

By your own logic, Thielen being able to get open is even more impressive if the other team knows he is getting the ball and somehow he still gets open.  Is he going to blow you away with speed and all the eye popping stuff, no, but the dude is very good at what he does.