• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

49er fans calling for wilks head!!

Sean Payton's Vicodin

Just now, frankw said:

At this point Wilks has reached mythical levels for some. I don't get it but to each his own. He's a good man. Decent coach. But the legend and attachment that has been created from our underwhelming finish last season to the point people are going on the attack is not healthy for anyone.

It's a mental break from reality. If you are going to wish for on a 'could have been' it's Stiechen or Johnson, it's not even close to Wilks. They could have made him DC but it's not like that is going well on a team that already had the top D last year that's starting to fall out of the top 5 this year...

• Beer 1

People who don’t prefer the CEO type coach that oversees and guides and motivates and Delegates, can’t see why Wilkes could succeed. 

Sorry, it isn’t an insult you just can’t see it. You are indoctrinated into the One Reason (Way) You Win mentality. Right now that looks like the wunderkind savior model. 

Wilks is absolutely not that and is old and crusty. I get it, but you are missing where his real talents are. That SOB is a leader and isn’t stupid either. 

edit to add this: absolutely, the real reason he was not hired is (no, not because he is Black)… it is because he would stand up to Tepper. Tepper knows that. 

Edited by stratocatter

In the end he's another version of Rivera. Word was he wanted to make Holcomb his DC which to say the least was not popular. Does that remind you of Rivera and Eric Washington?

Just raise the bar from here folks. We already canned Ron. We've seen what it's like with Rhule Wilks as the interim and now Reich. We need to bring in a younger coach. Just one who has obviously coached at this level and not some used car salesman from college.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

If the person an do the job they can do the job. You want somebody smart. But thouroughly grounded in the ways of the NFL because they feed off the fish kind of like in the penitentiary (according to movies lol).

Edit: I forgot to say Matt Rhule, was a fish.

I tend to believe it is like music and actors, people are attracted to shiny over the real thing so many times. Shiny young people. Gotta be more than that. It is a trend, the copycats are the ones who are screwing up because they are too far behind the the bleeding edge. I think the Panthers were trying to be copycats with All Star Staff Reich offensive juggernaut concept (what really screwed that up was making it harder than it needed to be by drafting this…. Wunderkind at QB).

There will be a reaction trend and being on the leading edge of that might put you in a great place. But you have to figure it out. I think it’s gotta be defense. Which will lead to more rules that favor the offense, but that’s kind of how it goes.

Edited by stratocatter

Sure, Wilks maybe could have had the team in a better position. But going from bad to ok ish shouldn’t be the goal. The goal is to be great and I don’t think Wilks could deliver that. Clearly neither can Frank, but that doesn’t make Wilks a great option.

• Pie 2

On 10/23/2023 at 9:56 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

This is a sad and pathetic thread and proves some people just hated Wilks.

Before this game people were talking about the 49ers like they were the best team in football. Now that they lose without 2 of their top 5 players Trent/Deebo you chose to make a topic about Steve Wilks.

OP couldn't wait to make this topic. He been waiting for Wilks to lose a few games.lmao

Meanwhile we are the worst team in football and Frank hasn't won a game since we hired him over wilks. You guys should think before you make these dumb topics.

Well you were the one who stated that the Panthers would compete in the NFC championship against the 49ers or Eagles once we hired Frank as our HC. I would NEVER say that so you should go to your mirror before blaming anyone else. At least I am a realist that building a winning team takes him to build up talent instead of squandering them. 

• Poo 1

6 hours ago, GhostWhispah said:

Well you were the one who stated that the Panthers would compete in the NFC championship against the 49ers or Eagles once we hired Frank as our HC. I would NEVER say that so you should go to your mirror before blaming anyone else. At least I am a realist that building a winning team takes him to build up talent instead of squandering them. 

I said that because I was expecting a upgrade from Wilks. I believed the hype this board said we had a all-star coaching staff. They hyped Mingo and TMJ.

You made me believe!

I was wrong admitted that after week 1. It's now week 7. If you wanted to call me out you should have done so back in week 1.

You chose violence on Thursday morning. I'm here I was wrong and I admitted it. 

Happy now?

22 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Their fans are mad bc they aren't the top rated defense. Nothing more, nothing less. They're supposed to be top rated. They aren't. He has time to help them turn it around.

It's not just that they aren't "top rated". They aren't anywhere close to as good as they have been for the last few years.

When we saw where he got hired, most of us felt like Wilks had looked into a dream scenario. The 49ers have an star studded defense with great players at every level add an offense that allows them to be aggressive. Their DC job looked like a fast track to another head coaching gig.

But it's gone off the rails.

And that's kinda surprising because truth be told, Wilks was always much more motivator than technician. With the talent he has in San Fran, you'd think it'd work pretty well.

Why it doesn't? Don't know, but it's definitely concerning.