• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce defenders, please give me a reason why you're still hopeful

TN05

28 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Our team is not built for BY, he would look good on a team like the dolphins as they are currently constructed. We need OTs suited for the scheme, kick icky into guard. We need a top tier WR and a handful of guys that can at least get open from time to time. 

I'm not so sure Christensen isn't a better LT than Icky. I realize he's out for the season, but I'm thinking next year. 

• Pie 1

I wonder if BY defenders would take a free swap for Sam Howell. Sam has been sacked WAY more than Bryce, has avg at best WRs, but is playing much better than Bryce (rookie or not). Saying a QB would be playing better with an elite O-Line and star WRs is like saying the sky is blue. NO S**T. But when a QB can win/compete with a lousy line and avg WRs ... he shows real promise. So far, Bryce hasn't and that's what people are trying to explain to the Defenders. He was the #1 pick and one of the best players in college. Show it! Or, again ... are we all just fooled by what you did with an elite everything Alabama.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I wonder if BY defenders would take a free swap for Sam Howell. Sam has been sacked WAY more than Bryce, has avg at best WRs, but is playing much better than Bryce (rookie or not). Saying a QB would be playing better with an elite O-Line and star WRs is like saying the sky is blue. NO S**T. But when a QB can win/compete with a lousy line and avg WRs ... he shows real promise. So far, Bryce hasn't and that's what people are trying to explain to the Defenders. He was the #1 pick and one of the best players in college. Show it! Or, again ... are we all just fooled by what you did with an elite everything Alabama.

One thing I said about Howell was that he wouldn’t be fazed by the sacks or the pressure.

His senior year, he statistically played behind the worst OL in P5 football. He was sacked more times than any other QB that was playing in a P5 conference.

I think the question for Howell was just going to be if he had the ability to process NFL defenses. He’s sneaky athletic, can make all the throws, and is unfazed by pressure.

His success was always going to hinge on if he could decipher what NFL defenses are doing. He’s been pretty good at it for the most part though there’s times (he threw a horrible red zone INT this past week) that you can see that it’s still a work in progress.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

I see Bryce Young doing some good things.

But any player that is deemed qualified to make an in season NFL roster at the QB position, is expected to be able to do good things.

On the flip side, the players considered the best QB prospects are, among other things, expected to be able to outrun your everyday NFL defensive lineman.

The 5’10” 190lb QB taken 1st overall, should be able to beat those guys in a foot race. Sub optimal foot speed and elusiveness was a concern for some people. 

Our quarterback was run down from behind by one of those guys Sunday

Otherwise, it seems to be Panthers business as usual, let’s see, common threads: 

Panthers were never in it. Another loss.

But it isn’t about the record! It’s about…. Showing that you can ….. uhhh, I’m not really sure any more. 

Young was not outstanding , but it isn’t his fault. Everybody can see that. 

16 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

It is not Bryce's fault. This is on Nicole and Dave Tepper. 

We had no business selecting him at #1

His arm is not strong enough and he is not fast enough. His brain cannot make up those shortcomings at the nfl level. We have to have a steller OL and hella weapons for this to work.

TB 2.0 smdh

Been saying it since I was forced to pay attention to the top draft prospects at QB.

So I paid some attention, saw the same things that brought you to your conclusion, probably, and took him off my board. No poo. 

By the week of the draft I was anybody but Young. He is the type of player that I would have no issue with people being intrigued enough to take a shot on him as high as 9 (not me), or who felt that maybe late 1st was the sweet spot of not overpaying for him (me, but probably would have gone Richardson, Levis, whoever looked like a decent value). 

I would do this every year until we found our guy. And maybe our next guy. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1

Why am I hopeful? Because there is a long history of rookie QB’s who go high in the draft of struggling in their first year. Everyone with their selective memories has forgotten about guys like Tua, Lawrence, Burrow, Allen and going back further Manning and Aikman. 

I worry more about depending on Fitterer to do his job and get some freaking talent on the offensive side of the ball.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Why am I hopeful? Because there is a long history of rookie QB’s who go high in the draft of struggling in their first year. Everyone with their selective memories has forgotten about guys like Tua, Lawrence, Burrow, Allen and going back further Manning and Aikman. 

I worry more about depending on Fitterer to do his job and get some freaking talent on the offensive side of the ball.

There is a longer history of straight busts

16 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Why am I hopeful? Because there is a long history of rookie QB’s who go high in the draft of struggling in their first year.

This is incredibly vague. First of all what is your definition of struggling? Just turning the ball over making rookie mistakes while still scoring touchdowns has been fairly common with good to great quarterbacks in their rookie seasons. But simply looking like they don't physically belong at times? That's something different altogether. Not what you want to see from any first overall pick. Like I said in another thread. It's giving Johnny Football vibes.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

4 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Which is the crux of the whole issue with Young.  What you just described is the same argument I've presented repeatedly as to why he never should have been the #1 pick.  A franchise QB elevates the play of others around them, versus a guy like Young who is wholly and solely dependent on his entire supporting cast being all-world just so he can look average.  He is a game manager at-best, but we traded up to make him a #1 overall pick bc our franchise is run by idiots.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1