• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Turnstile

ncfan

7 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Embarrassing. This is the kind of poo that makes me defend Bryce Young. Regardless of any struggles he may have in addition to this no QB can function properly behind this abortion of a unit.

Young may be headed down the same path as David Carr. Shell shocked and seeing ghosts.

He is in over his head with a horrible Oline that is useless. Going south fast.

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It has to be the scheme. 4/5 of these guys were starting for us last season and doing a damn good job of it by year's end. Not just run blocking, pass blocking as well. Whatever this scheme is, our line is the square peg in it's round hole. 

This!

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

Take it from probably the only OL guy on here.

It’s the scheme. 

There is some laziness from time to time during certain protections but you got Jeff Davison Offensive Lineman trying to play Air Coryell out there

I’m so tired of hearing about the scheme. Pass blocking assignments change very little from scheme to scheme. Bozeman has been exposed without two good guards next to him as the player Baltimore had no problem letting walk. Ekwonu is a LT who can’t get to the corner, can’t anchor against LBs, safeties, and small children who fall out of the stands and stray onto the field, and that punch he has is embarrassing. Throckmorton is a commentary on how disinterested they were in providing meaningful depth at thin positions.

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

“this line was built for road grading” 

then they should all be moved, you have to be able to pass pro first and foremost in the nfl

weve tried to open it up twice over the past two games and they immediately collapse, icky killing the opening drive with a horrendous sack is a Panther tradition at this point, and he just sits there with that dumb blank stare looking left and right as if someone else is to blame

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1

49 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In the grand scheme of things that is truly concerning

But take last year's roster/team when they were healthy (yes it's hard to imagine Horn healthy) and replace Darnold with CJ Stroud (or some other solid young QB).  Add in a few FAs and mid/late draft picks and those roster/team SHOULD be competitive.  The problem is they switched schemes to nullify the OL (our offensive strength), traded away the only true weapon on offense, replaced Foreman with Sanders etc...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

But take last year's roster/team when they were healthy (yes it's hard to imagine Horn healthy) and replace Darnold with CJ Stroud (or some other solid young QB).  Add in a few FAs and mid/late draft picks and those roster/team SHOULD be competitive.  The problem is they switched schemes to nullify the OL (our offensive strength), traded away the only true weapon on offense, replaced Foreman with Sanders etc...

I agree 100%.  I called 7 wins before the year and if things broke our way maybe take it to 9.  I still saw a roster that wasnt deep and still had some significant holes.   Now with our free agents and injuries etc I just dont see how we turn this around or how long because this is a damn quagmire.  So we are going to franchise burns and probably let luvu walk.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

Take it from probably the only OL guy on here.

It’s the scheme. 

There is some laziness from time to time during certain protections but you got Jeff Davison Offensive Lineman trying to play Air Coryell out there

This.

There's a ton of miscommunication that can largely be attributed to, well, trying to make grinders play finesse. Pretty much the whole o-line are out of their element.

Reich's attempts at creating a WCO with an o-line that is not built for that is a tall order. For someone who claimed he'd fit the scheme to his personnel, well, he's doing a very poo job at it.

From here, there are two options

1.) Reich admits his fault, revamps the playbook next year to tailor towards the strength of the o-line, which is power and downward movement vs lateral.

Or 

2.) Literally change up every olinemen to tailor to his WCO vision.

Number 1 is hard but is very clearly the best option for the team if they want to start showing good stuff on offense. That may involve a coordinator change and Reich's influence being completely ripped away from the offense.

Number 2 is nightmare scenario if Reich stays stubborn to his ways.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Growl said:

I’m so tired of hearing about the scheme. Pass blocking assignments change very little from scheme to scheme. Bozeman has been exposed without two good guards next to him as the player Baltimore had no problem letting walk. Ekwonu is a LT who can’t get to the corner, can’t anchor against LBs, safeties, and small children who fall out of the stands and stray onto the field, and that punch he has is embarrassing. Throckmorton is a commentary on how disinterested they were in providing meaningful depth at thin positions.

Remember when some of us were really concerned about the OL play in preseason but we were told oh it doesn’t matter it’s just trying out plays and blah, blah. Well, here we are.

Also, I remember that play distinctly because one of the replays was from the end zone camera and it just looked like a white wall. It’s almost rare when all rushers beat their OL handily.

The current team so far from competing and unfortunately, we won’t get our Cam or Peppers out of winning 1 or 2 games. The Bears will.

• Pie 1

Just now, WhoKnows said:

Remember when some of us were really concerned about the OL play in preseason but we were told oh it doesn’t matter it’s just trying out plays and blah, blah. Well, here we are.

And I'll be the first to admit I was dead wrong. I had too much hopium with this staff and their experience. I took their bait hook line and sinker, thinking that they knew what they were doing.

For all their experience, they've put together the worst team in the NFL. We have a QB who's shell shocked and needs just average NFL talent to shine. He is asked to make miracles every play, and he can't and it's killing his growth and frankly it's making him fall behind.

Young has college film showing he can make good out of poo, last year is evidence of that. He took a subpar receiving group and oline and made them competitive in the collegiate realm.

However, that's never what you want to ask your rookie to do when you're athletically limited. In addition, the complexity of the playbook is too much first year going in.

Stroud's succeeding as the Texans are scheming to his strengths, opening up middle of the field views and largely having the playbook modernized and simplified where he can excell even with subpar talent.

The Panthers have failed to accommodate Young similarly.

• Pie 4

32 minutes ago, Growl said:

“this line was built for road grading” 

then they should all be moved, you have to be able to pass pro first and foremost in the nfl

weve tried to open it up twice over the past two games and they immediately collapse, icky killing the opening drive with a horrendous sack is a Panther tradition at this point, and he just sits there with that dumb blank stare looking left and right as if someone else is to blame

How much of Bryce being 5'9" influences blocking? He can't see over these guys shoulders. They have to open lanes for him to be able to see the field. Creating space laterally so your QB can even attempt to do his job is a huge problem. That means not only do you have to hold back a rusher, but you also have to hold a lane open so he can see to make the pass. He didn't really have this issue at Bama because the talent level between his line and defenders was far bigger than in the NFL. JMO. 

7 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

How much of Bryce being 5'9" influences blocking? He can't see over these guys shoulders. They have to open lanes for him to be able to see the field. Creating space laterally so your QB can even attempt to do his job is a huge problem. That means not only do you have to hold back a rusher, but you also have to hold a lane open so he can see to make the pass. He didn't really have this issue at Bama because the talent level between his line and defenders was far bigger than in the NFL. JMO. 

His line at Alabama was bigger than his line here, and nothing about Bryce’s height is driving protection schemes. It doesn’t work that way. His passing chart over the middle of the field remains exceptional.

the issue is that you have overmatched linemen who are being asked to do something they weren’t asked to do much last season: pass pro

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

And I'll be the first to admit I was dead wrong. I had too much hopium with this staff and their experience. I took their bait hook line and sinker, thinking that they knew what they were doing.

For all their experience, they've put together the worst team in the NFL. We have a QB who's shell shocked and needs just average NFL talent to shine. He is asked to make miracles every play, and he can't and it's killing his growth and frankly it's making him fall behind.

Young has college film showing he can make good out of poo, last year is evidence of that. He took a subpar receiving group and oline and made them competitive in the collegiate realm.

However, that's never what you want to ask your rookie to do when you're athletically limited. In addition, the complexity of the playbook is too much first year going in.

Stroud's succeeding as the Texans are scheming to his strengths, opening up middle of the field views and largely having the playbook modernized and simplified where he can excell even with subpar talent.

The Panthers have failed to accommodate Young similarly.

Fitt should have gone with Rhule. It would have been nice to have a realistic we need to actually rebuild GM who would have taken the Burns trade. The talent drop off from 2020 is remarkable how bad Fitt has been and that 2020 team was gutted from losing Cam, Luke, Olsen, Bradberry and other vets. Scary to see how many wasted draft picks we will have made or traded away the past few years.

Anyway, talent aside, I was actually optimistic as well. Cautious after being burned by Rhule/Hurney, but when they made preseason look like we were competing, it really looks bad now. I mean if you wanted to be vanilla so NO and Atlanta do see anything special, there better be some special weeks 1 and 2. Instead the team looked like they were lost on the way to 1-7. The coaches and GM clearly thought we were better than we were otherwise you aren’t trading the farm and keeping one player instead of a bounty. If they understood we weren’t that talented they should have made the preseason more about getting as many reps as possible. That Reich comment after Bates’ two interceptions made me cringe. Actually acting like they hadn’t taught Young that defenders can cheat? He played at the top level in college. You can’t tell me CBs/Ss never cheated or watched QBs to anticipate and cut off a route. That one comment blew me away because it completely invalidated the be vanilla and don’t show much in preseason.

• Pie 1