• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Midseason NFL News

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

He is wrong about Dak. Dak isn't always amazing but he's not a game manager...

Others are harder.  They each have their moments. 

Game managers have moments. It's more about when you go away from that reality with the playcalls you are likely to see why they are game managers. It's 100% true for them all.

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Game managers have moments. It's more about when you go away from that reality with the playcalls you are likely to see why they are game managers. It's 100% true for them all.

I suppose it depends what you consider a game manager, but IMO, Dak is aggressive with the football, even at times he shouldn't be, which pays off in part because of the talent around him.  He DOES change the game.  He's very hot and cold tho... Like to Cam's point, his team is so stacked he could win games by just doing nothing. But that isn't what he does, and it's a big reason why they've scored 30+ in 6 of the last 7 including 4 games with 40+ points.

I mean IMO one of the best ways to measure a difference maker / game changer is 4th quarter come backs, come from behind wins, etc., tho of course this also depends on the team.  But still, Dak had 8 4th quarter come backs and 14 game winning drives in his first 3 years... Brock Purdy, by comparison, has only 1 4th quarter comeback so far (albeit in only 22 games). Lamar Jackson has 8 4th quarter come backs and 10 game winning drives...

Fwiw, Cam - who I love, and am not knocking - has fewer game winning drives (20 vs 21) across his career and with basically 40 more starts only has 3 more 4th quarter comebacks. A lot of that is the teams and I would 100% take prime Cam over Dak in a heartbeat.

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I suppose it depends what you consider a game manager, but IMO, Dak is aggressive with the football, even at times he shouldn't be, which pays off in part because of the talent around him.  He DOES change the game.  He's very hot and cold tho... Like to Cam's point, his team is so stacked he could win games by just doing nothing. But that isn't what he does, and it's a big reason why they've scored 30+ in 6 of the last 7 including 4 games with 40+ points.

I mean IMO one of the best ways to measure a difference maker / game changer is 4th quarter come backs, come from behind wins, etc., tho of course this also depends on the team.  But still, Dak had 8 4th quarter come backs and 14 game winning drives in his first 3 years... Brock Purdy, by comparison, has only 1 4th quarter comeback so far (albeit in only 22 games). Lamar Jackson has 8 4th quarter come backs and 10 game winning drives...

Fwiw, Cam - who I love, and am not knocking - has fewer game winning drives (20 vs 21) across his career and with basically 40 more starts only has 3 more 4th quarter comebacks. A lot of that is the teams and I would 100% take prime Cam over Dak in a heartbeat.

As a game manager they win. With him as a gunslinger he can be a big liability. I guess they could let him be a gunslinger like he was more with his earlier coaching crew but as a game manager they are winning more and he is more reliable. They have had back to back playoff appearances with him playing that type of game since McCarthy got there and it works best for him. So  you are right he can be more than that but he really shouldn't until they don't have a choice like in the playoffs but his record is 2-4 there so I think that supports his best role as a game manager.