• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It’s 9:13 am and nobodies fired yet?

Doc Holiday

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

It's still valid to point out that this was the first year of a rebuild.

(yes I know they said otherwise, but it still is; even Steve Smith acknowledged that last night)

Here's the thing though...

The GM doesn't determine the coaching schemes. He ideally gets players that are suited for those schemes, but he doesn't pick what schemes to use or what players to start.

So now that we have a mismatch between personnel and scheme, how did that come about?

Did Fitterer pick the wrong guys? Maybe, but that's kind of hard to say given that we know he took a lot of input from the coaching staff on both the draft and free agents (Miles Sanders, for example).

You also have a head coach who came in stating that he believed in tooling the scheme to the players, not the other way around.

That's why I say you have to see where the problem really is before deciding just to fire somebody because if you fire the wrong guy, you've only made it worse.

dont ever change

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Mr Scot thinks Fitt is the adult in the room instead of looking at everything and seeing Fitt has always been part of the problem. Mr Scot is also afraid of Tepper picking someone worse. Sadly, Tepper can pick worse people. But honestly, things can't get much worse than they are.

See above.

I've been hesitant to judge Scott Fitterer based on the circumstances. That doesn't make me a fan, but I get called that a lot.

I am a legitimate fan of Frank Reich, and have been for a long time.

But if you were to ask me who's more responsible for where we're at right now, that's when I'd point you to the previous post.

And yes, David Tepper scares me. He should scare all of us 😣

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's still valid to point out that this was the first year of a rebuild.

(yes I know they said otherwise, but it still is; even Steve Smith acknowledged that last night)

Here's the thing though...

The GM doesn't determine the coaching schemes. He ideally gets players that are suited for those schemes, but he doesn't pick what schemes to use or what players to start.

So now that we have a mismatch between personnel and scheme, how did that come about?

Did Fitterer pick the wrong guys? Maybe, but that's kind of hard to say given that we know he took a lot of input from the coaching staff on both the draft and free agents (Miles Sanders, for example).

You also have a head coach who came in stating that he believed in tooling the scheme to the players, not the other way around.

That's why I say you have to see where the problem really is before deciding just to fire somebody because if you fire the wrong guy, you've only made it worse.

The GM should be meeting with the HC to decide the scheme and players for that scheme. We have a bottom of the league roster with no 1st round pick and no 2nd type following year. I mean that has to fall on the GM to a degree. If we were doing an actually rebuild we should have traded off players for picks, but we didn’t. We rejected trade offers like we were ready to compete now. It’s all either a lack of communication or complete miss by Fitt and this staff. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

The GM should be meeting with the HC to decide the scheme and players for that scheme. We have a bottom of the league roster with no 1st round pick and no 2nd type following year. I mean that has to fall on the GM to a degree. If we were doing an actually rebuild we should have traded off players for picks, but we didn’t. We rejected trade offers like we were ready to compete now. It’s all either a lack of communication or complete miss by Fitt and this staff. 

teams in a rebuild dont trade the next drafts first or the second of the current draft

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That sort of meeting is pretty much standard operating procedure around the league.

Unfortunately, we ended up with ten offensive positions manned by Coryell style players surrounding a West Coast quarterback.

So one, how did that happen?

But then two, why weren't changes made to the scheme once we saw what we had?

This is why I say there's no easy answer and it's not as simple as just firing somebody for the sake of doing something.

Lemme throw out another theoretical possibility for in-season change...

Thomas Brown could potentially be relieved of his duties...and replaced with Jim Caldwell.

To be clear, I'm pointing that out as something that could happen as opposed to something that should, but the merits of such a move might bear discussion.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I don't know if Fitterer will be the first one out the door, but he should be.  He's been here long enough to show positive results for his decisions.  Optically, it is better to fire a GM who is almost three years in than a head coach who is just nine games in. 

Tepper desperately needs Reich to right this ship.  To fire Reich before the end of season one would once again show that Tepper failed to bring in the right guy; it further paints him as an very impatient and incompetent owner.  Tepper's meddling is going to work against him on the next hire anyway, but he is really going to eliminate the candidate pool if he pulls the trigger on a firing before the end of the season for a staff that he heralded from day one as being top notch.  It's going to be very difficult to bring in a staff with a meddling impatient owner for a team that has quite a few holes and not enough draft capital to fill those holes in the short term.

Now if the team finishes the season at 1-16, well...

I get not firing Reich mid season in year 1, but why the fig is Fitterer’s ass still employed? His GM tenure has been an unmitigated disaster that has left this team devoid of any talent at key positions on both sides of the ball. Fire Fitterer, bring in somebody with football knowledge to help lead the GM search and then let that new GM decide if he wants Reich or not.

fug Scott Fitterer.