• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canty low-key just battered Bryce on Greeny

top dawg

Mike Greenberg basically asked Chris Canty if the Panthers screwed up by taking Bryce Young over C.J. Stroud.

Canty said that he hadn't seen enough "moments of brilliance" in Bryce's rookie season to justify saying that we didn't screw up.

He also said that he knows that Frank Reich and Jim Caldwell KNOW how to develop a QB from dealing with them on a personal level during his career. He said that he knows that Josh McCown knows how to tell Bryce which way to go from the many years that he competed against him. 

Canty basically insinuated that it can't be them, so it must be Bryce. To be fair, he didn't say this expressly, and he was kind of straining when he expressed his views in a miffed kind of way, but him not having an answer as to why Bryce hasn't shown a lot, was an answer unto itself.

This was only a few minutes ago, so we have to look for the audio

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get what he's saying, but I still find it extremely hard to judge Young when he's constantly under pressure and doesn't have the people around him to run the attack we're trying to run.

I'm with you. I'm probably just a little more comfortable at the moment saying that we indeed picked the wrong guy. I hope I'm wrong as two left shoes.

Just now, top dawg said:

I'm with you. I'm probably just a little more comfortable at the moment saying that we indeed picked the wrong guy. I hope I'm wrong as two left shoes.

again I get what you guys are saying but even with the scheme, protection etc being dogshit that still doesnt mask the fact that young is a fuging midget who has to hop on his toes to see, isnt very athletic and has an nfl average at best arm.  Nothing in the world is going to change those traits.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

Multiple things can be true; these aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. We can both have made a mistake in taking Young instead of Stroud, Young can still have the potential to be a good NFL QB, and our roster/personnel and coaching staff/schemes can be failing in providing Young an environment in which to flourish. 

Bryce needs to play better. His mechanics are inconsistent and he has missed reads.  But some of this is the constant duress he is under due to consistently poor pass protection. And with a scheme with routes that don’t stress the defense and rely on a set of talent poor WRs to generate separation on their own, he often doesn’t have a place to go with ball.  He has shown some positive traits. He’s shown the ability to take off and pick up a first down on a scramble. He’s shown good accuracy over the middle of the field at intermediate set when the play call actually does call crossing routes instead of static stick/curl/hooks and he gets relatively better protection. And most of all, he has shown some really good anticipation. 

I understand the frustration from the “Bryce sucks” crowd. He hasn’t been good. But those takes are too harsh on him in my opinion. Most of the pro-Bryce crowd isn’t sitting here saying he’s awesome. We’re just recognizing the positives he’s shown and the context of the suit show situation he’s in. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4

16 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Bryce Young was the pick the moment we made the trade. He didn't even throw at the combine. Bryce knew he didn't have the arm talent as those other QBs. 

It's sad we didn't do much homework on the other QBs. Frank said Bryce was the guy all along. 

Bryce was the pick back in November when it was clear we needed to draft a QB

Crazy to have that much tunnel vision on something as big as this pick was.

All we heard all damn offseason was conviction blah blah blah blah 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

again I get what you guys are saying but even with the scheme, protection etc being dogshit that still doesnt mask the fact that young is a fuging midget who has to hop on his toes to see, isnt very athletic and has an nfl average at best arm.  Nothing in the world is going to change those traits.

But the thing is, I can't say that his size has really mattered. It certainly hasn't led to him being on the IR like many insinuated. He's actually proven to be very tough. 

As for his arm, I still don't believe it's not sufficient. There have been guys with worse arms playing in this league and having good careers. If he's still doing the same things in a couple of seasons, then we can talk.

Just now, top dawg said:

But the thing is, I can't say that his size has really mattered. It certainly hasn't led to him being on the IR like many insinuated. He's actually proven to be very tough. 

As for his arm, I still don't believe it's not sufficient. There have been guys with worse arms playing in this league and having good careers. If he's still doing the same things in a couple of seasons, then we can talk.

If i get drunk or bored enough this afternoon I will rewatch the game and count and timestamp how many times his midget ass was hopping on his tiptoes to see.    And call me crazy but you dont give up that much capital for a qb whos arm is "Sufficient".  

• Beer 1