• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we sure Tepper isn’t the real life version of Rachel Phelps from Major League?

Dorian Gray

For people who haven’t seen the movie (you should, it’s hilarious): Rachel Phelps takes ownership of the Cleveland Indians, jettisons all their good players, with the long-term plan of being so bad that fans stop coming so she can move the team to another city.

Sounds pretty familiar, right? I mean, I’m only half-kidding. From trying to phase out Keep Pounding to continually fielding atrocious teams, it’s almost like he hates Charlotte. Fortunately for him, we hate him too.

3 minutes ago, Dorian Gray said:

For people who haven’t seen the movie (you should, it’s hilarious): Rachel Phelps takes ownership of the Cleveland Indians, jettisons all their good players, with the long-term plan of being so bad that fans stop coming so she can move the team to another city.

Sounds pretty familiar, right? I mean, I’m only half-kidding. From trying to phase out Keep Pounding to continually fielding atrocious teams, it’s almost like he hates Charlotte. Fortunately for him, we hate him too.

the only way that works is if people stop buying psl's, but it's not about the football team, the game will turn into corporate events and lobbying. Companies and not people will get the psl's and the away team will fill the stadium. Kind of like Chelsea fans (who probably never left their respective areas or know where this team is located) will flood out an MLS team's stadium.

2 minutes ago, Dorian Gray said:

Tepper would need the approval of the other owners to do that. No way the NFL does that.

Charlotte is the 6th fastest growing city in the US. Raleigh is #1.

Charlotte is the 15th largest metro area in the US.

NC is a top 10 population state.

Tepper can’t move the Panthers and Charlotte FC also.

Long story short, he’s stuck.

NFL teams mostly only relocate due to money issues. Tepper isn't going to sell and he's still making a ton of money here albeit most of it is from opposing fans. We're stuck with Tepper as an owner so all we can do is hope that he learns from his mistakes and improves because the guy genuinely wants to win here and has shown that he'll spend the money to try and bring us a winner and that's something we all can appreciate. He just needs to understand that the NFL is a unique business, and he needs to have experience people run it. Tepper is a guy who wants to be liked but he's trying to go about it the wrong way in that he's trying to have people like him because he makes the big hire or the big decision that leads to winning.

Na he's just a bad owner.  Even if Panthers fans stopped showing up the stadium would sell out to opposing fans, at least for a lot of the games.  It's a profit sharing league so I think a team has to show it's obviously losing money and would obviously make more somewhere else.  It's too valuable of a market IMO.

I think Tepper is more like the owner in Ted Lasso.

Hiring a doofus coach (Rhule in this case) to ruin a team on purpose (the owners ex-husband on the show).

I've jokingly said this for a few years, but I wonder if Richardson goosed up one of Tepper's nieces on jeans Friday and now Tepper is a having an absurdly petty, mega-rich revenge plot.