• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Al Wallace= Not a fan of Ickey

ncfan

1 minute ago, Carolina Cajun said:

thats kinda my point, he needs to learn the position, get him some real world play time right now.  The Toth dude was listed as a Tackle, and Ricky Lee is a tackle.  Dont really care who it is, they can go and be just as bad as Icky is while icky gets 6 games to help prepare him to play guard next season.

Fair point but I don't think you are gonna see dudes fighting for their jobs make that move.

Not to mention, this staff is insanely slow to make offensive changes that are performance based.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Yeah he's a heavy-footed mauler and it's becoming clear he's not the athletic tackle we need in this zone blocking scheme.  In the right scheme he could maybe be a LT but he'd be wiping away his tears with hundred dollar bills as an All Pro LG.  It's not like those guys don't get paid.

The sad truth is, I really wonder if Christensen at Tackle and icky at guard would actually be a good combo.  If I remember correctly, Brady had some athleticism, his knock was the arm length (god what a dumb thing scouts fixate on).  I also seem to remember that Brady was never really a mauler so literally flipping them could be a good thing next season.  As I've said, Obviously that cant be the plan (gotta get someone this offseason for tackle), but I damn sure would open the competition and see if it could work.

• Pie 2

mike wahle on a 4MR discussion stated that the NFL has a year's tape on Ickey and now defensive coordinators and pass rushers know his tendencies and weaknesses. also, Ickey has always been a player that relied solely on his athleticism in order to dominate his opponents in the pasts. based on tapes from this year and last season, Ickey looked like he didn't do much technique and footwork training in the offseason which leads him to were we are now.

combined with the fact reich's blocking schemes doesn't fit to his strengths

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

The sad truth is, I really wonder if Christensen at Tackle and icky at guard would actually be a good combo.  If I remember correctly, Brady had some athleticism, his knock was the arm length (god what a dumb thing scouts fixate on).  I also seem to remember that Brady was never really a mauler so literally flipping them could be a good thing next season.  As I've said, Obviously that cant be the plan (gotta get someone this offseason for tackle), but I damn sure would open the competition and see if it could work.

This.  Been arguing that they should flip positions, which plays to both their strengths.

21 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I'll take great feet over great arm length all day everyday. Ideal arm length is more of a want than a need IMO. If you don't have the feet to stay in front of them you're beat no matter what.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, thennek said:

Hurney also typically did not trade away draft picks…

Eh

short memory I’m guessing?

forget trading away pick to move up for Greg Little.  Or trading away what was the 33rd overall pick for Armanti Edwards

or maybe trading away a future 1st for Everett Brown.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Eh

short memory I’m guessing?

forget trading away pick to move up for Greg Little.  Or trading away what was the 33rd overall pick for Armanti Edwards

or maybe trading away a future 1st for Everett Brown.

LOL- I stand corrected.

i was adding up all the draft picks squandered the past 3-years and it hurts. 

I can't rag on Ekwonu too much because I think the potential is still there. He would probably be a Pro Bowl G though. 

So basically we took (in order):

Bryce over CJ ...Fitt

Ekwonu over Cross...Fitt

Jaycee over Surtain..Fitt

.... what we got right: 

Brown over Kinlaw (came close to bust status around here his first two seasons) ...Hurney under Tepp

Burns over Sweat...Hurney under Tepp

DJ over Ridley (100% the right pick)...Hurney

CMC over Henry (about the same)..Hurney

One GM hit on every pick and not just the first but the second as well (in large part and excluding Little). One man is still looking to claim he grand slammed his first. The closest being Horn, who is extremely talented yet never available. 

Common factor: Fitts has to go. Combine all his FA acquisitions + the draft and his hit rate is so low it should be alarming. Reich isn't the only one with a chair "on fire". 

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Yeah he's a heavy-footed mauler and it's becoming clear he's not the athletic tackle we need in this zone blocking scheme.  In the right scheme he could maybe be a LT but he'd be wiping away his tears with hundred dollar bills as an All Pro LG.  It's not like those guys don't get paid.

It's not his athleticism it's his God awful fundamentals....