• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keyshawn Johnson on live Nat'l tv "I stand on this until I die Frank Reich did not want Bryce Young."

CamWhoaaCam

10 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Tepper overruled the staff and front office. 100% can confirm is a fact. 

Everyone went along with it because he would've pink slipped people that didn't agree with him and his wife's take to draft Young. 

The original plan was to draft Stroud at #2 but the deal fell through and the team was going to stand pat at #9 going into draft night and try to move to 3 with Arizona.  Tepper didn't have the patience for that and called the Bears and gave up a ransom to get his QB over his entire staff and front office. 

The bolded part is EXACTLY why I think, in the end, it's Reich's fault, even if the pick was Tepper's.

If Reich and the rest of the QB gurus on the staff went to Tepper and said, "look, you put us in this position by forcing the trade, you now need to listen to us and take the better QB, and if you don't and force us to take someone who isn't an NFL QB, we're going to quit because it's not what we agreed to come here for"

They do that, and the pick is Stroud, 100% of the time.

It would be the equivalent to holding a gun to Tepper's head and forcing him to take Stroud.  If the brand new HC was willing to quit over taking Bryce over Stroud and the pick only happened because the owner wanted it, he wouldn't be able to sell Bryce to the fans or any future coach to replace Reich.

You think things are bad from a PR standpoint right now, imagine hiring Reich and that all star staff, making the trade for #1, then the staff all quit days after the draft and publicly say it's because the owner forced them to take Bryce over the guy they wanted. 

It would have been unprecedented and no way for Tepper to come back from it, we'd be the red headed step child of the NFL that nobody wanted to coach or play for.

I think Tepper said he wanted Bryce and Reich just went along with it instead of pushing back like he could and should have done.  Threatening to quit over taking Bryce would have made enough of a statement to Tepper that he REALLY wasn't the guy, and Tepper would have relented, I have no doubt in my mind.

Edited by tukafan21

12 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

Nobody with an IQ > 10 wanted Young over Stroud

Tommy from Gastonia

Billy from Conover

TJ from Shelby

S2 Score

David Tepper

those were the ones who wanted Young

This just isn't true.

The Texans almost traded up for Young. The Raiders tried trading up for Young. The overwhelming evidence suggests Bryce was near consensus QB1 throughout the league heading into this draft. Dane Brugler, one of the more reputable scouts in the world for the Athletic, ranked Bryce as his number one overall player for the entire draft.

Was everyone wrong? Yes. But acting like it was only the Teppers who wanted Bryce just simply is not correct.

• Pie 1

Josh McCown and Frank Reich could sit down on here and do a live Q&A and point blank say 

“I _ wanted Bryce Not Stroud during the 2023 draft”

and posters on here would be like “bulls**t, he capping.  You know Tepper threatening them if they say otherwise”

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 3

17 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I still contend that even if Tepper "made the pick" that it is still likely Reich's fault.

Reich and his staff were supposed to be QB gurus, if they went to Tepper and just said, "we can't take Bryce, he flat out doesn't have what it takes, Stroud is that much better of a prospect" and they really pushed the issue, Tepper would have been okay with it.

If all these QB gurus went to him and strongly enough said that it had to be Stroud, I don't see how he could or would have forced Bryce on them since he'd know they were saying it because their own jobs depended on drafting the right guy.

It also wouldn't have been hard for Reich to leak to the media that Tepper was trying to force Bryce on the staff when nobody wanted him, which if that happened, it likely would have forced Tepper's hand to let the staff make the pick anyways so he didn't look like an owner who made final personnel decisions.

We don't know that. Wealthy dudes tend to have quite the ego, so I'm not sure it would have been that easy. 

Just now, ncfan said:

Josh McCown and Frank Reich could sit down on here and do a live Q&A and point blank say 

“I _ wanted Bryce Not Stroud during the 2023 draft”

and posters on here would be like “bulls**t, he capping.  You know Tepper threatening them if they say otherwise”

yes or no.  A simple yes or no here

do you think the teppers and their involvement influenced the pick?

1 minute ago, TheBigKat said:

we really released Key over Dwayne Jarrett?

Keyshawn talk about this on Undisputed a few weeks ago. He said he was looking for a team that he could play the 2nd fiddle WR role. He thought we would be SB contenders then Smitty got hurt week 1 and everything blew up.

I remember people thinking we signed Keyshawn to mentor Dwayne Jarrett. Turns out that was not the case lol.

Just now, Chaos said:

Frank is a free man now and can tell all, I hope he does soon. 

not if he wants that remaining $30+ million. Usually contracts have non-disparagement clauses in them. Frank is gonna sit at home, poo himself, stew in it, enjoy hot coco and watch $30 million come in the next 3 years

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

yes or no.  A simple yes or no here

do you think the teppers and their involvement influenced the pick?

Involvement Yes

Influence the pick No

Yes it’s obvious Tepper has been a hands on guy.  A little too much handsy.

But him forcing Frank to take the “consensus QB1” per dam near every national media with sources (Rapaport, Pete Schrager, Daniel Jeremiah, Jay Glazer to name a few) who cover the league.  Per local guys who have covered the team.  No

Edited by ncfan