• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I could see Tepper moving the team.

Brent Gregory

On 11/27/2023 at 10:51 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Team move would require league approval from a majority of the owners.

I really don't see that happening.

I live 120 miles up 1-85-40 from Bank of America Stadium. There are plenty of people around me that have had PSL’s from day 1. As fast as North Carolina is growing there are plenty of people to support a winning team that are willing to drive well over 75 miles. 

• Beer 1

On 11/28/2023 at 1:15 PM, Ghostface Chilla said:

San Diego Panthers

If you had ever been to a Charges game you would know how incredibly laughable this was.

I sat front row in 2008 (when the Chargers were considered a preseason SB contender) for under $100.  Granted, this was 15 years ago, but still, it was Week 1.

Ended up being an all-time game (Delhomme last second pass to Rosario), but anyone who thinks San Diego would be a better NFL market than Charlotte/Carolinas is misguided.

They barely cared at all when they had a team that was winning 10+ games every year.  LA doesn't care about the Chargers, either.  The only reason they ended up in LA was b/c the San Diego stadium was an abomination and Kronke wanted help to pay for his stadium.

To me, moving the Charges would be the most likely move of any franchise in the short-to-intermediate-term.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

18 hours ago, hepcat said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/09/san-antonio-austin-growth-development/

just piling on the fact that ATX/SATX is an exploding market and will 100% have an NFL franchise sooner than later. Will it be the Panthers? Probably not. But will the NFL have a team there? 100%.

Maybe the Chargers move there, but Jerry Jones has made it abundantly clear that he's not going to allow another NFL team in Texas to "dilute the market" or do anything to pull braindead fans away from "America's Team."

IMHO, I was legitimately worried when JJR met with the LA mayor back in 2016.  Moving to LA was a possibility, especially with JJR's health at the time, lack of a succession plan, and the beginning whispers of workplace impropriety. 

But ever since the Rams & Chargers moved to LA, there is no other viable market for the Panthers to ever move, and given the growth of Charlotte and the Carolinas, there is 0% chance the NFL is going to willingly forego a market of ~16M people in the Carolinas (the combined population of NC & SC would make it the 5th largest state).  

Talking of moving the Panthers is fearmongering without any logic behind it at this point.

Tepper is stuck with the team here, and we are stuck with Tepper.  He's not going to sell, and there is no logical or viable market that any rational person would deem better than here.

All we can hope is that better decisions are made.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

This economic analysis doesn't appear to cover the specifics you're asking about with regard to player compensation - but it does show the type of analysis that London and the NFL go through for some cost/benefit work:

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/8925_attachment.pdf 

ESPN's coverage of the report: http://en.espn.co.uk/more/sport/story/361901.html

Looking for your personal input as to the specifics we were discussing, not some unrelated links.  

The floor is yours...

16 hours ago, RayRedd said:

Looking for your personal input as to the specifics we were discussing, not some unrelated links.  

Player compensation is dictated by Salary Cap + wacky accounting surrounding signing bonuses and payment structures. League minimum salaries are the same for new players regardless of whether they sign in Miami or any other market.  This should apply equally the same in MC, LON, or any other international or expansion market.  

Team compensation comes from rev share from TV and other fixed inputs from the league. Sponsorships/Merch/team-specific revenues are unique per team and market

Mexico City is less of a concern from a player/game recovery issue -- flight times aren't that much different from east/west coast scenarios and the timezones are the same.

LON games would probably be built into east coast road trips + bye week combinations for both sides of the ball

If the NFL didn't think there was a market outside the US, they wouldn't have expanded London games to Germany.  I don't see an expansion overseas happening in the next 4 years -- but within 10 years? Better chance...

On 11/27/2023 at 9:36 PM, RumHam said:

Looool whaaaaat? Arguably the NFL's smallest market. Hes been a ploy inserted all along. They knew how he was. London, germany, st louis, orlando, you tell me

I am Raleigh biased but calling Charlotte small market is a flat out lie. You should be banned just for typing that. We are all now dumber for reading that junk. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

11 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Player compensation is dictated by Salary Cap + wacky accounting surrounding signing bonuses and payment structures. League minimum salaries are the same for new players regardless of whether they sign in Miami or any other market.  This should apply equally the same in MC, LON, or any other international or expansion market.  

Whadya figure a London based player would have to be paid in order to have an equal amount of take-home pay and standard of living vs. a Miami based player?  NFL players do not want to live in London, nor do owners want to have to operate in a market/society so far removed/different from what all the other teams are faced with.

Mexico City is less of a concern from a player/game recovery issue -- flight times aren't that much different from east/west coast scenarios and the timezones are the same.

Yeah no travel issues, but getting your player back after he's been kidnapped will be quite troublesome (and expensive).  The costs for NFL security to attempt keeping the Bentley drivin', bling wearin' players safe, would be prohibitive -- and that assumes the players cooperate in terms of having their every movement monitored 24/7!!

If the NFL didn't think there was a market outside the US, they wouldn't have expanded London games to Germany.  I don't see an expansion overseas happening in the next 4 years -- but within 10 years? Better chance...

I put the "chance" at 0.001%.  That said, if lightning does strike that franchise will have to be folded or moved within 5 years, players just won't go along.  

• Pie 2

This has been heavily speculated since Tepper bought the team and while he has made a mess of just about everything since arriving, there is zero actual evidence he's interested in moving the team, whereas there is a bunch of evidence he wants to keep the Panthers here 

• Pie 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:21 AM, hepcat said:

Here's the same metric of the 75mi radius of Austin.

1048615355_Screenshot2023-11-28at11_14_17AM.thumb.png.4e624adc1feba9408fc6d02e03304b03.png

Granted this area is closer to two other NFL franchises than the Charlotte area. However the Dallas 75mi radius has 8.5m people and the Houston 75mi radius has 7.6m people and none of these areas overlap with each other. Texas just has a lot of people and could easily support 3 NFL franchises. Florida does it with less people. 

Y'all are crazy if you think central Texas won't get another NFL team. It's the biggest US media market (aside from dubious San Diego) without one. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but it's going to happen. 

I don't think the NFL will expand again, at least not anytime soon.  To many of the stadiums are normally at 50% or less of capacity.  TV ratings are declining (slightly, but still declining).  The Market is changing, and the revenue stream might not be able to grow as much in the future as it has in the past.    There hasn't been any serious expansion talk in 30 years, and the current group of owners is unlikely to be willing to split the revenue with more teams.  And if it does happen, its likely to be international.  I think this would be a mistake, but almost all expansion talk centers around international expansion.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

18 hours ago, RayRedd said:

Whadya figure a London based player would have to be paid in order to have an equal amount of take-home pay and standard of living vs. a Miami based player?  NFL players do not want to live in London, nor do owners want to have to operate in a market/society so far removed/different from what all the other teams are faced with.

Price adjustments are the same for NY or SF players vs CAR or CIN or GB markets that have lower costs of living. Look at the number of players who choose to make CAR or ATL home but play elsewhere. There won’t be any addt contract salary changes because they are an international players.

If it turns into an issue, I could see the team subsidizing food or housing outside of salary cap accounting. But I do t think that’ll be necessary at the salaries the players make.