• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Unpopular take, David Tepper

Frank9999

Just now, Frank9999 said:

Frank Reich offensive system here seemed to baffle many people around the league. The guy legit wanted to do everything the roster was not good at. That is the exact definition of a bad coach. 

Frank seems like a good dude but this fire was entirely warranted  

Maybe so...but Tepper clearly is a stereotypical, tyrannical business owner.  His dealings with the HQ in Rock Hill, his impatient firings, and his comments all reflect bad leadership on his part.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

I'm sure he hates to lose - mainly because of money, but probably wants to win as well.  I suspect a lot of his anger is more because Frank and the team weren't doing what he wants/told them to.  But anyone who fires a direct employee after nearly a year and can't even say his name correctly is a bad person.  Ultimate disrespect.

• Pie 2

As to the premise, there are perpetual losers out there. Do you think their owners like losing?

Hating to lose doesn't guarantee jack sh-t. 

Tepper's problem is not that he doesn't want to win. It's that he has no clue whatsoever how.

Unless he removes himself from the football operation completely, we're basically just running on a hamster wheel.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

I actually don’t mind him. In fact, I think he’ll eventually get it right. Why? Because he hates to lose. Throughout history there have been some examples of owners screwing stuff up countless times before getting it right. Its also worth noting that former players actually like him as well like Tre Boston and Steve Smith. 

I agree that he doesn’t like to lose, and it’s because of his ego. At the same time I think he believes that he can just throw his money around and buy the biggest name and expect success. The panthers have the most expensive since staff in the NFL and that didn’t lead to success. I am at least encouraged that he is willing to spend money to try and find the right people. What he needs is a nfl counseling firm to help find his next staff kind of like what Richardson did after firing  Hurney. 

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As to the premise, there are perpetual losers out there. Do you think their owners like losing?

Hating to lose doesn't guarantee jack sh-t. 

Tepper's problem is not that he doesn't want to win. It's that he has no clue whatsoever how.

Unless he removes himself from the football operation completely, we're basically just running on a hamster wheel.

The only thing is---and I can't remember which analyst said it---is that no owner "completely" removes him or herself, some are just better at hiding it than others.  I think what Tepper needs is a strong personality that will push back by explaining things in a way that makes sense, and in a way that Tepper understands. I'm also questioning whether Mr. Agreeable (Scott Fitterer) is the man for the job.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

54 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don't really believe he hates to lose. He can say that all he wants but his actions with regards to concerts, events, soccer, etc. just don't support it. He cares about making $ and the Panthers so far have made him a ton of $

If he didn't care about winning he wouldn't be handing out huge market-resetting contracts to coaches.

57 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don't really believe he hates to lose. He can say that all he wants but his actions with regards to concerts, events, soccer, etc. just don't support it. He cares about making $ and the Panthers so far have made him a ton of $

Clearly he has done a poor job, and clearly he cares about making money. Who doesn’t care about making money? But if it was just about the money he wouldn’t be firing the coaches while he’s still on the hook for most of their salary. He also wouldn’t be apparently writing blank checks to bring in the most expensive position coaches, etc.

1 hour ago, w280sax said:

Many owners would have kept rhule or Reich longer to avoid paying multiple coaches simultaneously the next few years.

There's plenty to not like but if he cared only about money, I doubt he'd be willing to pay three expensive head coaches for the next 3-4 years.

It was either fire Frank or have Frank continue to get Bryce killed. Frank forced his hand. 

Keep Pounding meant something completely different to Frank. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 2

29 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The only thing is---and I can't remember which analyst said it---is that no owner "completely" removes him or herself, some are just better at hiding it than others.  I think what Tepper needs is a strong personality that will push back by explaining things in a way that makes sense, and in a way that Tepper understands. I'm also questioning whether Mr. Agreeable (Scott Fitterer) is the man for the job.

I know Florio said it but he's not the only one. Pretty sure Breer said something to that effect also.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

To some minimal degree this may be true but I think there are plenty of owners who don't interfere with their football guy(s) or overrule them on things. I think they would all have some involvement in certain unique situations like off field issues with a player. But I can't imagine Kraft or Clark interfere to any degree with Belichick and Reid running their teams. Same with teams like Steelers and Ravens who have had consistent sustained stability in their front offices/HCs.

• Beer 1