• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CFB conference championship games

LinvilleGorge

1 minute ago, CRA said:

some years there is no right decision that can be made.  This is one of those years 

That would be true of the #4 spot this year. That’s the problem. FSU should be in and then the fourth team I agree. Leaving FSU out for 2 teams was 100% the wrong decision. 

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

You are saying they would get stomped. We will unfortunately never know. FSU looked better in their rivalry game against Florida with their backup QB than Bama did in their rivalry game against Auburn. They just held a 420ypg offense to 188yds. Why couldn’t they do that to Bama’s offense, who only averages 400ypg?

There are 22 starters on a team. If it’s all about the QB, this playoff would be completely different. Again, inconsistently applied standards used to justify personal preferences. QB goes down and you say well it doesn’t matter what you do, we don’t care that the defense just held one of the best offenses in the country to 6 points. That doesn’t make sense. Why would you rank them in the top 4 last week? I’m not an FSU fan, but this is bushleague.

I'm just judging them on their last game. They struggled to beat Louisville in the ACC championship game. Am I wrong for thinking they would get blown out by a much more stronger team?

You wanna know who really got fuged? James Madison. What a dumbass rule that a team moving from D1AA to D1 (whatever the fug they call those divisions these days) is ineligible for a bowl in year one. You're already at a significant disadvantage making a major leap up in competition. If you earn bowl eligibility you should go, period. Now they've lost their coach to a P5 team. Who knows where they'll go now but they absolutely should be going to a decent bowl THIS year.

• Beer 1

I hear everyone on FSU and I'm not a Noles fan, but in the last year of the 4 team format the CFP committee should have FSU in.  They were damned if they do damned if they don't, but FSU won every game they played no matter the situation.

I don't know why everyone thinks Michigan and Washington are so great.  The Pac-12 teams don't play defense, like, at all.  Washington was able to outscore Oregon (twice) and all the rest of the Pac-12 teams and really didn't have any real tests non-conference.  If Texas doesn't crap the bed they beat Washington.

Michigan and Ohio State are basically similar teams and whoever wins that game goes against whatever team comes out of that weaker division they have where teams don't have offenses.  Big whoop they shut out Iowa who averages less than 19 pts per game or something like that.  Ohio State was the only real challenge on Michigan's schedule and Ryan Day can't coach himself out of a paper bag.  Michigan is going to find out when they play Bama and in a way I think the committee put Bama 4 just for this reason.

The other "holy hell" is dropping Georgia 5 spots for losing to Alabama.....was that loss THAT BAD?  WTF   😂🤣😂

The SEC and Big30 are expanding at the right time because if they had done it this season Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, and Washington would all be in very different situations. 

I think ESPN would love that tasty Texas/Bama rematch...IMO that's what they want, and the NCAA would like that too because those teams will absolutely fill a stadium and bring ratings.

30 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

No what I’m suggesting is up until after conference championships everything stays the same. The exact same. Then you tally three simple scores, with some sort of tie breaker for the lower end teams. 

Top 16 ranked teams…

Conference champions - 2 points

Undefeated Teams - 1 point

Losses - -1 point

Some sort of tiebreaker for all the teams that are 11-1 or what ever it is. Add your SoS or w/e

A playoff would be a lot more entertaining than this poo they put up right now. 

How is adding up the numbers at season’s end any different than ranking by number throughout the season? Teams still know what the standard is and would structure their schedules accordingly.

Edited by Growl

26 minutes ago, Growl said:

I could lay out why Alabama‘s resume’ is mathematically superior to FSU’s but it really doesn’t matter

Florida state doesn’t have its best player at the most important position, and that’s the question being asked: who are the best four teams?

that’s the same question the committee has been consistent on

nobody believes without Jordan Travis that Florida state is one of the best four teams, and in their chance to prove it, they underwhelmed. 

do they deserve a chance to prove we’re all just mean haters and make us eat our crow for thinking that? Sure, but that game isn’t being played because the system is flawed.

until the expansion, all the committee can do is apply consistent logic, and they did. 

most everyone believes Texas and Alabama would beat Florida state without their best QB, they have the resume’ and the recent performance to instill confidence in that assertion, and that’s all it comes down to.

it has nothing to do with the SEC. Had Travis not been hurt, they would be in. 

Georgia would beat Michigan, Washington, Texas, Florida State, and possibly Alabama.

They're not in the final Top-4?

Consistency, sure.

Teams not in the playoff should just refuse to play in their meaningless bowl games to hurt the NCAA in the only area they care about, their wallet. 

The fact that there is no NFL associated minor league or a legitimate alternative path to the NFL besides college football is crazy. Why is it possible for every other professional sport but not football?

Imagine if super talented kids could come straight from high school into some kind of developmental league that actually taught them NFL football. Oh yeah, and actually pay them. Instead you have to play college ball where half of what you could be learning will never translate to the NFL. We hear it every year come draft time that some player is great, but the system or style they played in college won’t translate to the NFL level.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I hear everyone on FSU and I'm not a Noles fan, but in the last year of the 4 team format the CFP committee should have FSU in.  They were damned if they do damned if they don't, but FSU won every game they played no matter the situation.

I don't know why everyone thinks Michigan and Washington are so great.  The Pac-12 teams don't play defense, like, at all.  Washington was able to outscore Oregon (twice) and all the rest of the Pac-12 teams and really didn't have any real tests non-conference.  If Texas doesn't crap the bed they beat Washington.

Michigan and Ohio State are basically similar teams and whoever wins that game goes against whatever team comes out of that weaker division they have where teams don't have offenses.  Big whoop they shut out Iowa who averages less than 19 pts per game or something like that.  Ohio State was the only real challenge on Michigan's schedule and Ryan Day can't coach himself out of a paper bag.  Michigan is going to find out when they play Bama and in a way I think the committee put Bama 4 just for this reason.

The other "holy hell" is dropping Georgia 5 spots for losing to Alabama.....was that loss THAT BAD?  WTF   😂🤣😂

The SEC and Big30 are expanding at the right time because if they had done it this season Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, and Washington would all be in very different situations. 

I think ESPN would love that tasty Texas/Bama rematch...IMO that's what they want, and the NCAA would like that too because those teams will absolutely fill a stadium and bring ratings.

Here's the reality that people don't want to admit. All the P5 conferences are roughly equal as a whole. It really comes down to who has the best cream of the crop. The also rans are roughly equal. The SEC also rans just get a big artificial boost via conference affiliation.