• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well there is that one guy...

Would love to hear what he thinks of all this 😕

“The 51-year-old former Green Beret, who served two rotations of combat duty fighting in Fallujah and Ramadi in Iraq in 2004”

At fallujah 2 they forcibly evacuated everyone except military aged males and then unleashed an artillery barrage not seen since the Soviets took Berlin.  

A war crime under any circumstance but right now…..I mean, it could be warranted for this team. I’m not saying I’d condone it, but I’d understand the thought process. 

• Pie 1

More from Jones:

It’s rare, but most NFL teams would be much better off if their owners entrusted a sharp team president to run the organization, including the hiring of the general managers and head coaches and selection of players. If they could keep their fingers out of things and let the true experts work together without the threat of meddling or fear-induced power struggles, then maybe, just maybe, the owners would receive a greater return on their investments.

But “that’s no fun,” one AFC front-office exec said, when asked why so few owners utilize such an approach.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

“The 51-year-old former Green Beret, who served two rotations of combat duty fighting in Fallujah and Ramadi in Iraq in 2004”

At fallujah 2 they forcibly evacuated everyone except military aged males and then unleashed an artillery barrage not seen since the Soviets took Berlin.  

A war crime under any circumstance but right now…..I mean, it could be warranted for this team. I’m not saying I’d condone it, but I’d understand the thought process. 

fuging lmao 

• Beer 1

Great article, the athletic is no doubt worth paying for. To no surprise it shows how terribly bad Fitt and Frank are/were at their jobs, and how bad Tepp is as an owner. It is the trifecta of terrible.

Actions needed to move forward (hiring president of football, clean slate etc.) should be very easy to see, but will Tepp do it or not?

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

Great article, the athletic is no doubt worth paying for. To no surprise it shows how terribly bad Fitt and Frank are/were at their jobs, and how bad Tepp is as an owner. It is the trifecta of terrible.

Actions needed to move forward (hiring president of football, clean slate etc.) should be very easy to see, but will Tepp do it or not?

Things that are easy to see for average folks aren't always so easy to see for billionaires with big egos.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

It's past time to abandon ship. Tepper has destroyed the franchise

I’ve never seen an American pro sports franchise so dysfunctional, so toxic and so incompetent. Literally every aspect of the franchise on the field, in the front office, everywhere, is worst not only in the NFL but than any other pro team. And with Tepper running the show, it’s never getting better. Ever. 

• Beer 1

Also this from Jones ...

Fitterer...helped Reich make the decision to draft Young over C.J. Stroud

"Helped" 😕

More recently, I've started to believe that Fitterer may have been the driving force behind convincing Tupper that Bryce Young was the right pick. 

We heard rumors back around draft time that Reich preferred Stroud. McCown also seemed to be of that disposition.

But whether Tepper preferred young himself (or was persuaded to), Fitterer convinced Reich to change his mind or just held the trump card that Tepper was on his side in the decision, the end result would be the same.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

So basically we overcorrected and went from CEO coach to a coaching committee.

I've talked about the overcorrection since the say we fired Matt Rhule. 

Tepper going with Frank was an overcorrection.  Then icing on the overcorrection cake was to force a staff of everything on it.   You want young talent? You got it.  You want old dinosaurs that knows everything sitting on top of the young talent?  You got it.   You want people that could only be employed by Matt Rhule? You got. Does everyone have different ideas? Yep.  Is stubborn old Frank just going to do what he does largely with a cast of random parts and staff directed upon him? Yep.   Then the GM was like.....you want some names? I'll just go sign whatever name is available.  Do they fit what Frank/Bryce would be doing?  Nope. 

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

More recently, I've started to believe that Fitterer may have been the driving force behind convincing Tupper that Bryce Young was the right pick. 

Open Arms Feeling Yourself Sticker - Open Arms Feeling Yourself King Of The  World - Discover & Share GIFs

as I have told you, open arms whenever you are ready to come to terms with Fitt. 

when Tepper was talking about his point guard and being able to invest so heavily elsewhere, he was talking like a GM sold him on the idea.    And I still think the Jaycee Horn pick was a Fitt creation too.  It's why I was scared we would waste a top pick on a DB.  Fitt coming from a franchise that won off D and secondary play.  That was the Seattle blueprint for success. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

as I have told you, open arms whenever you are ready to come to terms with Fitt. 

when Tepper was talking about his point guard and being able to invest so heavily elsewhere, he was talking like a GM sold him on the idea.    And I still think the Jaycee Horn pick was a Fitt creation too.  It's why I was scared we would waste a top pick on a DB.  Fitt coming from a franchise that won off D and secondary play.  That was the Seattle blueprint for success. 

Wouldn't call it "coming to terms" so much as new information.

My ideal situation would have had Fitterer and Reich being given more time to build the team together. That went out the window when Reich was fired, so from that point on I stopped caring whether they kept Fitterer or not.

Hearing what we're hearing now though, It doesn't sound like they were ever actually "working together" to begin with. In fact, it sounds more like Fitterer helped sabotage him.

Jones mentioned some NFL executives think the proper move would have been to fire Fitterer and keep Reich. Not sure that would have worked either at this point, unless Frank were allowed to remake his staff with only his own choices.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I really can't blame Reich now. He was checked out before the season even began and now we know why. Dude went full 'fire me so I can retire' in the pre-season. That stinks to see as a fan but I think I would have done the same. That place sounds like a hellscape of a job to have to work 80+ hours. 

• Pie 2