• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McDermott reportedly wasn't the biggest fan of Cam

t96

8 minutes ago, t96 said:

Look at the talent Allen has had around him his career vs Cam's. Opens things up quite a bit for him to run more and have better passing stats. Allen isn't better than Cam was at any aspect of the QB position.

He had a better OC for a while and that made a huge difference for him. I wish Cam had a Daboll develope him early on. They both had good Ds but it does seem like Cam's support staff wilted over time and Josh's grew.

18 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wonder how he's coping with basically having the closest thing to Cam Newton currently in the league as his QB?

That's what makes me doubt the veracity of this. Why in the world would they go out and draft Josh Allen if their coach thought Cam Newton was ruining the Panthers? Stylistically, they're not dissimilar.

This piece was written strangely. It doesn’t really refer to how he felt Cam was ruining the team. 

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

This piece was written strangely. It doesn’t really refer to how he felt Cam was ruining the team. 

If he's frustrated with both Cam and Allen I have to assume it's playing style. Stylistically, Cam and Allen are pretty damn similar. Both want the chunk plays in the passing game, will fire balls into tight places, and they'll play some hero ball both with their arm and their legs.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he's frustrated with both Cam and Allen I have to assume it's playing style. Stylistically, Cam and Allen are pretty damn similar. Both want the chunk plays in the passing game, will fire balls into tight places, and they'll play some hero ball both with their arm and their legs.

and if McD is (the article suggests it) a tight, narcissistic  HC.....I could see the free playing and frankly irreplaceable structure of a Cam/Allen O really would grind his gears.  Some offensive systems are designed where you frankly can insert any competent QB and it functions.  Cam and Allen operate QB unique offenses.  The offenses are overdependent on them.  Which makes the team itself overdependent on them. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

and if McD is (the article suggests it) a tight, narcissistic  HC.....I could see the free playing and frankly irreplaceable structure of a Cam/Allen O really would grind his gears.  Some offensive systems are designed where you frankly can insert any competent QB and it functions.  Cam and Allen operate QB unique offenses.  The offenses are overdependent on them.  Which makes the team itself overdependent on them. 

Yeah, the "muh system" guys are gonna get driven crazy by guys like Cam and Allen. Hell, Mahomes too for that matter.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, the "muh system" guys are gonna get driven crazy by guys like Cam and Allen. Hell, Mahomes too for that matter.

and frankly, I bet he struggles with knowing he isn't the most important piece to the Buffalo puzzle.  The coach doesn't matter as much as the QB.  Allen becomes the irreplaceable component.  It's really the Allen Bills.  Not the McD Bills.   And if he is the type coach that article suggests, he doesn't like the team he coaches being primary about 1 guy that isn't him. 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, CRA said:

I made a style of play comparison.  Nothing false about that. 

Allen is also leading the NFL is scoring.  If he doesn't see a Super Bowl, it won't be because the Bills have a QB issue that held them back.   This would have been a PERFECT year for any of those recent teams the Bills have fielded to sleepwalk into the Super Bowl....but they can't because McDermott has that D in the shitcan.  Which is why articles like this have suddenly appeared.  Because they see how McD just blew it.

If you lead in scoring and turnovers that doesn't help the team playboy. 

19 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

If you lead in scoring and turnovers that doesn't help the team playboy. 

All it would take is a bad Sunday and Mahomes and Hurts could jump Allen.  It’s not like he has run away with turning it over and is some anomaly.  Which is sort of what the article hints at, McD gaslighting to an extent to deflect from himself.

I don’t understand the neg comparisons to Allen but there is no perfect player. Every one of them could do better, with few exceptions. It’s a lot, being great at every aspect. 

My thing with Cam was HOF greatness unfulfilled. I wish he had visibly addressed things that were not 100% to potential, and I would feel much better about how it all went. I feel he left a fair amount on the football table. 

Maybe he did a ton of work people didn’t see but the first offseason he went back to college. I had a different plan lol. But he went his entire career without learning how to take something off the ball (until his shoulder forced that). He was kind of the ultimate power hitter that strikes out a lot. You have to take that along with the homers. We had to take the overthrows and the finger breakers that guys couldn’t handle along with the superman stuff. He was man among boys at times. 

I just thought he was so gifted that it came too easy for him and he left things on the table. I guess some people will be all mad about saying he wasn’t perfect.

Now that stuff about did he understand the game, I wonder because of the simplicity of the offense and the reliance on his legs, but then there is that “oh, you been watching film huh? Watch this” which is the greatest audio ever. So what are you gonna say about that now? I can’t say anything. I would say he understands it. 

I do think that had he somehow gotten footwork together and benefitted from some improved accuracy, he would have been HOF shoo in and there would have been some real hardware. 

As to McDermott saying that style of play always loses in the long career department or however he said it, I agree with that.

I don’t know what he could have meant by ruining. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1