• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Motivation to win in a lost season

Green-Ghost

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Two fold IMO.

1. You want to see development from Bryce and our other young players. This has more to do with the development of individual talent than the scoreboard and W-L record but if they play better we'll naturally have a better chance if winning.

2. You'd really prefer not to have the embarrassment of handing the Bears #1 overall after trading that pick to them as part of a substantial package to draft a QB that hasn't exactly lit the league up as a rookie while the guy drafted #2 isn't just a slam dunk ROY, he's a borderline legit MVP candidate.

I would honestly rather see Dalton have this offense looking like something resembling an NFL team while Bryce takes notes on the sideline. At least we know what Dalton is and you can get a somewhat reasonable evaluation on the rest of the offense and the OC for the last few games. Like I really need to see if Brown is going to still call pass plays out of shotgun on 3rd/4th and 1 with a regular NFL sized qb lol. 

• Pie 3

25 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I would honestly rather see Dalton have this offense looking like something resembling an NFL team while Bryce takes notes on the sideline. At least we know what Dalton is and you can get a somewhat reasonable evaluation on the rest of the offense and the OC for the last few games. Like I really need to see if Brown is going to still call pass plays out of shotgun on 3rd/4th and 1 with a regular NFL sized qb lol. 

There is no chance Dalton will start with Tepper as owner. Bryce is clearly his dude.

It is a shame for Bryce, his career is starting to look similar to so many previous #1 overall draft pick busts. Not all his fault.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Greatman77 said:

At some point, personal pride has to come into play. These athletes work so hard to get to where they are, they can't just mail it in because it's a losing season. There are exceptions but those players don't stay long in the NFL.

.......for some but as you indicated at the end of your statement it is a living and business for most athletes and many times their ability to remain in the NFL or in some cases thrive with other teams requires they give it their best especially with performance options tied to many of them so even though they are playing in the abysses at Carolina they don't have to remain there

..........however fans obviously don't have such a burden so if they have something else they'd rather spend time or money on then they can walk from any interest in an organization and in the case of this one remain that way until ownership changes if that be the case which seems to be looking more like that every year with this franchise. 

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Two fold IMO.

1. You want to see development from Bryce and our other young players. This has more to do with the development of individual talent than the scoreboard and W-L record but if they play better we'll naturally have a better chance if winning.

2. You'd really prefer not to have the embarrassment of handing the Bears #1 overall after trading that pick to them as part of a substantial package to draft a QB that hasn't exactly lit the league up as a rookie while the guy drafted #2 isn't just a slam dunk ROY, he's a borderline legit MVP candidate.

It's really not about the Bears.  Our draft position in the 2nd round is more important then some psychological defeat we suffered when we traded with the Bears.

10 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

It's really not about the Bears.  Our draft position in the 2nd round is more important then some psychological defeat we suffered when we traded with the Bears.

If it's 33, 34 or 35 that pick has to be the best relative pick this franchise has made in its history.  Gotta be a Pro Bowler.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Dalton needs to start. We need to know what we have in Mingo and any other WR that might give a damn. Part of me thinks it might help the oline play better with a QB who knows more about what NFL defenses are going to do and also isn't going to go down if a defensive player gets a mitt on him. 

• Beer 1

I am disappointed in the season but still are hopefully they will end it better and make better moves and have some "injury luck" next year. 

Doesn't matter if they give the bears the #1 pick at this point. That 1st pick the 2nd day is valuable, even if we trade back a few or trade into the late 1st to get someone. 

Too many changes, too many philosophies, way too many injuries (for a team that didn't have great depth) to over come. The guards being hurt had probably the biggest injury effect on the Bryce/offense and no Horn w/DJax being hurt early hurt the team as well. So many others besides questionable play calling and development. 

Unlike most of the fans, I don't blame the Owner. They pay people to do their job and they struggled and he's impatient. Fans are not impatient?

Let hope we can keep it competitive and give Bryce a chance to get a better feel for the game. I like him and think he can be a top 1-15 QB for years to come. 

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Dalton needs to start. We need to know what we have in Mingo and any other WR that might give a damn. Part of me thinks it might help the oline play better with a QB who knows more about what NFL defenses are going to do and also isn't going to go down if a defensive player gets a mitt on him. 

Yeah I don't see how you could go into the offseason without seeing how the offense functions with a vet qb. Way too many unknowns at that point to even attempt to make roster decisions based off whatever the fug they've been putting out there 

5 minutes ago, musicman said:

Unlike most of the fans, I don't blame the Owner. They pay people to do their job and they struggled and he's impatient. Fans are not impatient?

Yeah he's paying people, but it sounds like he's also telling them how to do their jobs and who to do them with. 

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we really need to win a few more games to avoid that, giving the bears the #1 pick would be talked about for years

If we end up handing the Bears the #1 overall pick and they defy history and pick a good QB while Stroud continues to look like a future HOFer, the Vikings will breathe a huge sigh of relief because no one will talk about that Herschel Walker trade anymore. There will be a new king of awful trades.