• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One of two things happened

lightsout

Either Brown is trying some actual offense out or this is just game planning for the Saints and Bryce and the receivers have failed to execute.

This is more the offense I think we all expected for 11 weeks. At least some of the time. Bryce letting it rip IS encouraging...but then you're discouraged because he absolutely cannot hit on vertical shots. No touch, no ability to drop it in a bucket in stride. Mingo splitting coverage deep for a walk-in TD is going to be the glaring miss from the day. That's a QBs dream, just hit it deep down the middle with no fear of anybody over the top because your receiver already beat everybody.

Bryce has to find his touch deep, but if the offense is called this way moving forward, I have hope that we don't have total incompetence on our offensive staff. Which is promising, because I love Brown and want to see him stick as our OC, but he's gotta prove he can call an offense. This is the right direction to proving that.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Unfortunately, I think we're seeing today why the offense has felt like they're actively avoiding throwing the ball down the field this year. We threw the ball effectively down the field in one game all year long but it triggers folks if you mention that game.

We avoided it because our OL can’t hold up. Now Bryce’s touch has been off today, especially the one to Mingo.

This is the best the offense has looked all year. We outplayed the Saints most of the game. But the drops and the overthrows cost us.

This is the best version of Bryce we’ve seen though. Love the aggressive deep shots. If he starts landing those then all the sudden he looks like the #1 pick. I was encouraged by what I saw today. 

1 minute ago, OneBadCat said:

This is the best version of Bryce we’ve seen though. Love the aggressive deep shots. If he starts landing those then all the sudden he looks like the #1 pick. I was encouraged by what I saw today. 

the thing you're saying will make him look like a #1 pick is like the most basic thing that any qb should be able to do and he can't do it. 

it's like saying a WR will look great as soon as he learns how to catch

• Pie 6

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Unfortunately, I think we're seeing today why the offense has felt like they're actively avoiding throwing the ball down the field this year. We threw the ball effectively down the field in one game all year long but it triggers folks if you mention that game.

I still can’t see what any of the defenders see. He just can’t play at this level.  

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ickmule said:

I still can’t see what any of the defenders see. He just can’t play at this level.  

Being wrong is a bitter pill to swallow.

It happens though. We've all wanted guys who have been busts and we've all not wanted guys who turned out to be good players. It is what it is. But doubling and tripling down on being wrong is just hilarious.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

the thing you're saying will make him look like a #1 pick is like the most basic thing that any qb should be able to do and he can't do it. 

it's like saying a WR will look great as soon as he learns how to catch

It’s the one thing that’s been missing from his game all year. We’re running better and the routes are making more sense. It’s not a coincidence that we’re seeing deeper shots now. 

With our protection problems and lack of separation I don’t think it’s a stretch to think someone would struggle throwing deep in this offense.

Either way I’m choosing to be positive about it. At least he overthrew guys today.

3 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

This is the best the offense has looked all year. We outplayed the Saints most of the game. But the drops and the overthrows cost us.

I don't think this is the best version of Bryce we've seen. It's arguably the worst. However, yes, it's good that he has been willing to actually throw real routes and not just lean on the short game. More encouraging is the fact that we're not calling levels every other pass play. But this is where Bryce should've been day one.

Which begs the question... didn't he staff know Bryce struggled deep so they avoided it for his confidence or was the offense called short because our OL is bad. Because Bryce has had some time today, likely thanks to the run game. Based on his accuracy on literally every vertical throw, I think we know which it likely is. Bryce has to fix this or he will absolutely get replaced. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, lightsout said:

Which begs the question... didn't he staff know Bryce struggled deep so they avoided it for his confidence or was the offense called short because our OL is bad. Because Bryce has had some time today, likely thanks to the run game. Based on his accuracy on literally every vertical throw, I think we know which it likely is. Bryce has to fix this or he will absolutely get replaced. 

he's been inaccurate deep all year, especially on the sideline

go back and watch the atlanta game. just winging it out of bounds and the announcers constantly like "uh....miscommunication there i think." 

• Pie 3