• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT: No tag for Pep

Boltergeist

Nah, wouldn't cripple the team this year because of no cap. At this point, it'd be more of a "we're tired of your bullshit, peace out" thing if they really let Peppers walk for nothing, because money isn't a problem in an uncapped year.

21 Million for one player is always a problem when you are the check writer......the year before a possible lockout.

hey all you dumb simpering fools giggling in your sleep about how we can spend as much money as we want because there's no cap, the money is still money. Just because it's an uncapped year doesn't mean the tooth fairy covers all the bills. Jerry still has to write that check to someone he might have soured on, and Hardee's money isn't Paul Allen Microsoft money, or Dan Snyder Spring Break Rape Package money.

its not just that...its not like 2010 is going to be here forever. we also have to plan for the future of a cap coming back. WHat the hell are we going to do if we sign a bunch of people this year because of a cap then all of a sudden we are screwed in 2013.

Plus his offers will be much less than he thinks because the Panthers have not set the market for him. So lets look at it from Peppers point of view.

1. He is Julius Peppers a top 3-10 depending on who you ask DE.

2. He just made like 28 mill in the last 2 years.

3. He is coming out off pro bowl year.

Against JP:

1. He is almost 32 years old

2. He turned down the highest paid DE in football contract

3. Uncapped year, but also a recession so teams are looking to cut expenses more than add them

4. He has a history of long stretches of lack luster performance.

5. The team he has played for his entire career is letting him walk for no compensation.(Also the team that probably would have offered him the most money)

By not offering him a contract the Panthers just screwed Julius in a way. No one is going to give him Haynesworth money anymore, because well look at Haynesworth. His agent can't say well the panthers are willing to pay 100 mill for Julius when negotiating because the Panthers just released him without even talking to his agent. If he does sign with the Panthers it would be much more favorable terms than last years offer by a long shot. The 2 teams that would overpay for him are probably DC and Dallas. DC isn't doing it because of Haynesworth. I doubt dallas would over pay for him to play LB. He is going to make money regardless, just a lot less than if he would have signed with the panthers.

Plus his offers will be much less than he thinks because the Panthers have not set the market for him. So lets look at it from Peppers point of view.

1. He is Julius Peppers a top 3-10 depending on who you ask DE.

2. He just made like 28 mill in the last 2 years.

3. He is coming out off pro bowl year.

Against JP:

1. He is almost 32 years old

2. He turned down the highest paid DE in football contract

3. Uncapped year, but also a recession so teams are looking to cut expenses more than add them

4. He has a history of long stretches of lack luster performance.

5. The team he has played for his entire career is letting him walk for no compensation.(Also the team that probably would have offered him the most money)

By not offering him a contract the Panthers just screwed Julius in a way. No one is going to give him Haynesworth money anymore, because well look at Haynesworth. His agent can't say well the panthers are willing to pay 100 mill for Julius when negotiating because the Panthers just released him without even talking to his agent. If he does sign with the Panthers it would be much more favorable terms than last years offer by a long shot. The 2 teams that would overpay for him are probably DC and Dallas. DC isn't doing it because of Haynesworth. I doubt dallas would over pay for him to play LB. He is going to make money regardless, just a lot less than if he would have signed with the panthers.

I thought he was 30. I guess he is almost 28 also.

...Where's Samuel L. when you need him... Start eating my friend.

[ATTACH]32239[/ATTACH]

I just feel it's pointless to have to continue to explain how all of this is still speculation and posturing from Carey and the Panthers...

"per a league source" often means - "we just made the poo up"

You'll see who's right when all is said and done, and then we'll see who is eating crow...

florio gets it right more often than schefter (isn't saying much) but still all either of them do is throw crap on the wall and see if it sticks. florio just has more experience flinging it.

he might be right but remember that this came from PFT...not the most reliable source of info. they are barely a step sideways from espn.

take this "report" with a grain of salt.

i can't wait until we tag him so I can just bump this thread, change the date, and no one will even notice

The tag placed on him precludes the Panthers from addressing needs at other positions. If allowed to test the market more actively, me might realize he's not worth what he thinks and resign with the Panthers for less than what he initially demanded. The Panthers will likely receive good compensation if he signs somewhere else. Finally, the Panthers can stand to lose him

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/12339-removing-the-franchise-tag-from-julius-peppers-is-the-best-option.html

Archived