• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Final Drive

Seltzer

Bryce was amazing yesterday that win is totally on him.  Threw some cannons with 80mph winds and 10 inches of rain all during the game against the steal curtain defense of the falcons.  He kinda reminded me of like a Tom Brady fused with Cam and Peyton Manning..........Seriously was a much better game for him compared to his normal so that was positive but he didnt throw a TD and he didnt pass for more than 200 yards.  That sideline grab was an amazing catch maybe he should throw more to him.  He almost lost a fumble but he recovered it.  It was a game where he played better than normal but to suddenly act like he played amazing is a stretch.    

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, FugginPoo said:

Bryce haters are not smart people….occur to anyone just how bad Mayfield was on this team/mess and now look at him breaking records in Lambaeu 

People that use the word 'hater' in discussions like this are not smart people. 

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 2

21 minutes ago, fanpanther said:

Bryce was amazing yesterday that win is totally on him.  Threw some cannons with 80mph winds and 10 inches of rain all during the game against the steal curtain defense of the falcons.  He kinda reminded me of like a Tom Brady fused with Cam and Peyton Manning..........Seriously was a much better game for him compared to his normal so that was positive but he didnt throw a TD and he didnt pass for more than 200 yards.  That sideline grab was an amazing catch maybe he should throw more to him.  He almost lost a fumble but he recovered it.  It was a game where he played better than normal but to suddenly act like he played amazing is a stretch.    

That's where I'm at with it.

It was a great drive to win the game and everyone contributed, not just Bryce, but he looked good on the one drive. I'm not ready to crown him our franchise savior yet, but I still haven't completely written him off like many already have.

I would like to see him string a few scoring drives together, preferably in the same game.

This team is such a dumpster fire I don't know where the blame starts and ends with Bryce, but he's the QB, the first overall pick, and we traded a ton away for the privilege to draft him. I was willing to give him to the middle of the year to see some improvement but none came. It'd be nice to see those improvements I wanted to see come in this last month of the season but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still willing to hold off my final judgments on the kid until next season, which I think is fair considering I gave Rhule a season and a half before I wanted his head, and Bryce is way more likeable.

• Pie 8

39 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

That's where I'm at with it.

It was a great drive to win the game and everyone contributed, not just Bryce, but he looked good on the one drive. I'm not ready to crown him our franchise savior yet, but I still haven't completely written him off like many already have.

I would like to see him string a few scoring drives together, preferably in the same game.

This team is such a dumpster fire I don't know where the blame starts and ends with Bryce, but he's the QB, the first overall pick, and we traded a ton away for the privilege to draft him. I was willing to give him to the middle of the year to see some improvement but none came. It'd be nice to see those improvements I wanted to see come in this last month of the season but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still willing to hold off my final judgments on the kid until next season, which I think is fair considering I gave Rhule a season and a half before I wanted his head, and Bryce is way more likeable.

Thank God you are still one of the moderators... this is a fair take.

Not one single person that I've known on this board with any football sense is wanting to crown Bryce anything.

However, I truly cannot believe all the hot-take artists that have simply taken over this joint and people who just want to troll and spew incandescent hate & vitriol at everything related to this team and Bryce... it's effing December and the holidays... I can't deal with that level of constant negativity.  I pity anyone who would willingly live their life this way.

Trading up was one of the worst moves in franchise history.  In retrospect, I think we all can agree.  Other than the Sean Gilbert trade, this might be 2nd worse.  That's the objective truth.  I don't see any reason to sugar coat that.  But to me, the blame for that decision lies with the impetus 66-year-old owner who has effed up everything- not the 22 rookie who is doing his best in what has been offensive dysfunction for the ages.

Even still, that ink is dry.  Bryce is our QB at least through next season unless something unexpected happens.  I want him to succeed, and I genuinely believe he can and will if he is provided with the same tools literally any other QB needs (an Oline that can block & guys that can get open & catch).  If other people disagree, I understand the validity, but I will debate that fact.

My enduring point is the absolute absurdity of people crucifying him when this whole offensive operation (from the coaches hired, to the scheme, to being outlandishly gaslit by Fitterer about where this roster was), has made this situation (in retrospect) one where literally no QB on Earth would thrive.

Also, we played what like 15 different interior offensive line combos... nobody wants to hear it, but it textbook insanity to think any of this would be a recipe for success.

Back to your original point, the QB is always the easiest lightning rod in a season like this.  One on hand, these guys are being paid millions, and the NFL is not about what is fair, it's about wins.

No one should be immune from criticism, least alone a #1 pick like Bryce Young... everyone should be clear on that.

But, and I can say this unequivocally as someone in my 40's who played (and coached) a lot of sports, there is no effing way I could have handled this situation without mentally breaking at 22, and I feel confidently none or exceedingly few people on this board could have.  

The fact that this kid hasn't been broken by everything and was able to lead that drive yesterday... I wonder how many people have held any sort of leadership role in either sports or professionally?... b/c if you have then you know the mental toughness (let alone the physical ability to perform) is off the charts.

I think we as a fanbase should be able to recognize the trade up was a mistake, full stop.  You don't do that unless you think you can compete for the playoffs and not give up a high pick, let alone potentially the #1 pick.  Fitterer needs to pay for this (amongst many other mistakes).

That being said, and even though the trade up was a mistake, I think Bryce can be a very good QB.  Both things can be true, and only time and a supporting cast to fairly evaluate him will give a clear picture.

• Pie 6

13 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Thank God you are still one of the moderators... this is a fair take.

Not one single person that I've known on this board with any football sense is wanting to crown Bryce anything.

lollers, literally your first sentence in this thread, you cannot make this up

20 hours ago, Seltzer said:

That was the work of a franchise QB and a guy worthy of a #1 pick.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 2

I was listening to ESPN radio this morning with Greenie. They were talking about the best HC openings. Carolina was last…and not even close. They were joking they would rather coach Coastal Carolina than the Panthers. Primary reason- the owner. Tepper has a terrible reputation and all of the recent Hunger Games talk has made it worse. The number one problem with the Panthers is Tepper. I think it is telling that he fired Frank but not Fitterer. Fitterer is the GM and has been for over 3-years. This team has significantly less talent now than in 2020. Each year the team has gotten worse and that is a bi-product of bad decisions made by the Panthers leadership. Fitterer must be in tune with Tepper or he would have been canned with Frank. 

Edited by thennek

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

And you proved his point.

That DRIVE was exactly what you want from a #1 pick and franchise QB.  Not his whole entire season. Or even his game yesterday.  THE DRIVE WAS.

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Give it rest... seriously... you've had all season to troll & clown around with all your clown buddies, literally & figuratively while everyone with a an IQ above 100 avoided this place.

The grown ups are back... you need to head back to the kiddies tables with all the other hot-take artists... literally no one here with even a passing knowledge of football wants to converse with you or your ilk...

Edited by Seltzer

1 minute ago, Seltzer said:

Give it rest... seriously... you've had all season to troll & clown around with all your clown buddies, literally & figuratively while everyone with a an IQ below 100 avoided this place.

The grown ups are back... you need to head back to the kiddies tables with all the other hot-take artists... literally no one here with even a passing knowledge of football wants to converse with you or your ilk...

Oh snap.  You mean business