• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Final Drive

Seltzer

10 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I was at the game and the one thing my son and I talked about was how long it took for the ball to get to wide open guys. Any NFL QB with some zip and our wide open guys had a chance to turn and gain some YAC. It was almost painful watching or should I say waiting for the ball to get to the receivers. The defenders who were way off got really close to making plays on some of the deep balls. I really enjoyed the last drive and we had a blast at the game because we won, but from a guy with a great view (row 13 in lower level, nobody in front of us), I still don’t think Young will be the guy. Yes, he had a great drive to win the game but the D kept Atlanta to 7 points otherwise we would have had no shot. It’s still really painful to watch an offense where if we are down by two scores, you can legitimately say the game is over. The D won the game, not Young. Young does not have an NFL arm.

Were you actually at the game? I was there the whole game and there were no 30 mph gusts. The wind was barely noticeable. 30 mph gusts and we would have had rain in the face and our ponchos would have been flapping in the wind. I watched App State on Saturday and that was bad conditions, people couldn’t even hold onto the ball. We didn’t even have a turnover and Atlanta’s turnovers were a ridiculously inaccurate throw right to Woods and a great hit by Hill.

The conditions weren’t great because of the wetness but please don’t act like that was the monsoon we heard would be there. It was a constant, almost light rain for 3 quarters with a medium rain on and off in the 4th quarter with very little wind. Believe me, if it was 30 mph gusts, the almost empty stands would have been empty. I was expecting much worse weather than we actually had and other than a wet ball, the conditions were fine to throw the ball.

That's how it appeared on TV.  None of the ponchos--even the really cheap paper thin ones, were flapping around.  It seemed like a steady drizzle most of the game.  The one thing Bryce did well was not turn the ball over.  Credit for stringing some passes together on the final drive, but this can't be the norm as it's not sustainable.   As horrible as our WRs are, a few of his bad passes were bailed out by very good catches.  I get the ball was wet, but there were several wounded duck thrown yesterday.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

That's how it appeared on TV.  None of the ponchos--even the really cheap paper thin ones, were flapping around.  It seemed like a steady drizzle most of the game.  The one thing Bryce did well was not turn the ball over.  Credit for stringing some passes together on the final drive, but this can't be the norm as it's not sustainable.   As horrible as our WRs are, a few of his bad passes were bailed out by very good catches.  I get the ball was wet, but there were several wounded duck thrown yesterday.

It was exactly that. I’m sure there’s been a bunch of thunderstorms with way worse conditions in the past. We stayed the entire game, standing and the slight win changed directions but 30 mph gusts and poo would have been flying in our faces and we would have been miserable. WRs got open but they always got hit right away. Mingo had great separation as he got open and he could have easily broken up field and maybe scored if the ball hits him in stride. It took too long to get there and he has to slide and can’t run at all.

I’m glad we won because it made for a fun game and great ending but I took all that and a great effort to barely win a game against Desmond Ridder.

• Pie 1

Just now, Martin said:

I think she’s very good as well. Really like her insights and draft takes. But a lot of analysts have a hard time coming a

around to what Bryce has shown vs. what he did in College. They’re trying to force themselves to see something that is not there 

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

around to what Bryce has shown vs. what he did in College. They’re trying to force themselves to see something that is not there 

Bingo! It is possible to be a top-notch college QB and not pan out in the NFL.  It happens a lot actually.  The problem is that he's OUR QB, so the rose colored glasses are Superglued to their faces.  If this was the Jets, for instance, a spade would already be called a spade.  We are quick to call out other team's struggling QBs and ignore the deficiencies of our own guy.  How many Steelers fans were holding out hope for Kenny Pickett?  How many Jets fans were saying after Zach Wilson rookie season. 'another year he's going to blossom'?  Crap, how many Falcons fans were excited that they passed on a QB only to give Ridder the benefit of a doubt this season???

Yes, rookie QBs struggle more times than not, however, you have to see the tangible things that with better coaching, a better supporting cast and with some things cleaned up in the QBs game, people can say 'this guy is going to be great!'  I don't see that with Bryce.  His ceiling given an ideal situation around him is an average game managing QB.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Bingo! It is possible to be a top-notch college QB and not pan out in the NFL.  It happens a lot actually.  The problem is that he's OUR QB, so the rose colored glasses are Superglued to their faces.  If this was the Jets, for instance, a spade would already be called a spade.  We are quick to call out other team's struggling QBs and ignore the deficiencies of our own guy.  How many Steelers fans were holding out hope for Kenny Pickett?  How many Jets fans were saying after Zach Wilson rookie season. 'another year he's going to blossom'?  Crap, how many Falcons fans were excited that they passed on a QB only to give Ridder the benefit of a doubt this season???

Yes, rookie QBs struggle more times than not, however, you have to see the tangible things that with better coaching, a better supporting cast and with some things cleaned up in the QBs game, people can say 'this guy is going to be great!'  I don't see that with Bryce.  His ceiling given an ideal situation around him is an average game managing QB.

Just take ATL for example.  After watching this year and yesterday we know Ridder isnt the answer for them and can laugh at his incompetence.  They look at us and think the same thing.  The difference is they will move on from him in the offseason and we are stuck.  So for the nfc south is a race to see who can get their qb in place the fastest.  I thought we were in the drivers seat after the trade but now we seem to be a year behind.   Not sure if baker is the long term dude in tampa but he has shown flashes but I am damn sure that carr isnt the dude in NO and they are stuck like us.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

Man tbh, you cant say Young is a bust and not the answer after one year and expect to be taken serious. It is true he has looked pretty bad but that just isn't a serious point of view at this stage. 

Is he going to get taller?  Are his hands going to get bigger?  Is he going to gain 30 pounds?  Is his arm going to get stronger for a faster delivery?

These are the things out of his control that are tangible.  We can see these things, they are quantifiable.  Obviously those things lead to deficiencies like no mustard on his fast ball for tight window throws or outside the number passes beyond 15 yards.

He can clean up his horrible footwork, but at this stage, it will be hard for him to do so.  By the time a QB gets to the NFL, they have been doing 'their' drop back for a long time.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Is he going to get taller?  Are his hands going to get bigger?  Is he going to gain 30 pounds?  Is his arm going to get stronger for a faster delivery?

These are the things out of his control that are tangible.  We can see these things, they are quantifiable.  Obviously those things lead to deficiencies like no mustard on his fast ball for tight window throws or outside the number passes beyond 15 yards.

He can clean up his horrible footwork, but at this stage, it will be hard for him to do so.  By the time a QB gets to the NFL, they have been doing 'their' drop back for a long time.

Drew brees looked awful after 3 seasons. Look man trajectory of qbs not all the same, its just too early. He could end up really good behind a stout oline. Its just your opinion I respect it but theres still a chance for him for sure 

Edited by Frank9999