• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Insider Mike Sando asks what Tepper has learned

Mr. Scot

NFL insider Mike Sando writes in The Athletic about what went wrong in the development of Bryce Young and what people are saying about the Panthers and David Tepper.

With regard to Tepper, the theme seems to be questioning whether or not he's learned anything from his mistakes.

Mike Sando's Pick Six (subscription required)

First up, the mistake of the "all star staff" and Tepper:

Too many cooks in the kitchen? What the 2023 Panthers did not learn from the 2020 Eagles.

The headline from colleague Joe Person’s 2023 Panthers retrospective sounded ominous: “What happened with the Panthers? ‘Hunger Games’ culture, backstabbing and another fired coach.”

Only a few months prior, team owner David Tepper had celebrated the Panthers’ ability to assemble what, at best, might have sounded like an all-star staff.

Jim Caldwell, Josh McCown and Thomas Brown would be joining coach Frank Reich and Reich’s former Indianapolis assistant Parks Frazier to aid in the development of rookie quarterback Bryce Young.

I’ve been struck in retrospect by what an NFL exec from another team said about the situation in mid-October, when Carolina took an 0-6 record into is bye.

“I think Frank Reich has too many cooks in the kitchen,” this exec said then. “They are too top-heavy, where there are too many people with opinions, and for a young quarterback, it is a recipe for disaster. You have Thomas Brown, who has head-coaching aspirations. You have Josh McCown, who has head-coaching aspirations. Then you have Jim Caldwell. That is a third voice. Then you add Frank. That is a fourth. Then you add Parks Frazier. That is a fifth.

“Even if it is not malicious, you get in a situation where there are too many guys trying to put their signature on a process.”

The situation recalls the 2020 Philadelphia Eagles, who finished 4-11-1 in Doug Pederson’s final season with the team, as quarterback Carson Wentz’s career unraveled.

That staff featured Pederson, pass game coordinator/quarterbacks coach Press Taylor, senior offensive assistant Rich Scangarello and senior offensive consultant Marty Mornhinweg, among others. Lots of big names. Too many voices?

Tepper coveted the idea of an all-star coaching staff. What lessons did he learn?

Next, speculation regarding the team's next coaching search:

Panthers: Carolina seems likely to seek another offensive-minded head coach, which could allow the Panthers to keep defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero. The question here is to what extent Tepper’s reputation for meddling might steer leading candidates toward other opportunities.

“I don’t know if Tepper is a quick learner, but we know he is a quick decision-maker,” an exec said. “Does he go, ‘Alright, I need to give this up and give it all to Bill Belichick?'”

And finally, a note about yesterday's vanquished opponent:

Falcons: Losing 9-7 at Carolina shined an even brighter light on coach Arthur Smith, whose offense ranks 25th in EPA per play and is producing 7.1 fewer EPA per game than last season, the seventh-largest drop from 2022, per TruMedia.

“Some of it could come down to who picked the quarterback and whether somebody was really, really firm on (Desmond) Ridder, or was it, ‘Hey, we’ll give this a year and see how it plays out, instead of paying Derek Carr,'” an exec said.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, FugginPoo said:

All he has to do is hire competent career football people and get out of their way

job #1) realize i'm not an expert

job #2) hire an expert

job #3) tell the expert what you want to accomplish

job #4) let the expert do their job

job #5) stay out of the way

• Pie 5
  • Beer 4

The world needs more ditch diggers. 

not everyone can be the boss. You need defined roles and individuals willing to excel in that role. It is obvious we had a bunch of egos all looking out for themselves and not enough team first personnel. 

I blame tepper for this and not Frank. And I don’t think Reich had the personality to realign once things started spinning out of control. 

seems like a pretty easy lesson to learn. Hopefully tepper can see the writing on the wall that’s staring him in the face. 

• Pie 1

The truth is though most of the people writing these articles have any idea ehat Tepper is thinking or if hes learned or not.   It has just became a topic that gets clicks right now.   Also most of the people writing these articles that are talking about the clear mistake the "all star" coaching staff were praising it when it was formed and helper coin the name. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1