• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sign Burns already

Frank9999

Just spent like 20 minutes playing with the cap on spotrac and man...it's going to be very difficult to keep Burns, Luvu and sign a high profile name like Tee Higgins. 

Basically re-signing Burns and Higgins is going to cost in the neighborhood of 25 mill each. 

This probably deserves it's own post when I have more time to really delve into it

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/carolina-panthers/2024/8027e022dcda29998e3468d08288a009/

I signed Tee for 25 mill, Burns for 25 mill, Frankie for 10 mill, resigned JJ Jansen and had to do other things to barely get us under the cap. Now obviously NFL teams can structure contracts better than this but whew we do not have as much cap space as I thought. 

Now the good news is our team is terrible and they may just go scorched earth and cut a ton of other people. 

22 minutes ago, SOJA said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/carolina-panthers/2024/8027e022dcda29998e3468d08288a009/

I signed Tee for 25 mill, Burns for 25 mill, Frankie for 10 mill, resigned JJ Jansen and had to do other things to barely get us under the cap. Now obviously NFL teams can structure contracts better than this but whew we do not have as much cap space as I thought. 

Now the good news is our team is terrible and they may just go scorched earth and cut a ton of other people. 

Projected tag price for Burns would be 23,342,000 FWIW.

• Pie 1

Tag seems inevitable. He’s not earned a major contract this season. It isn’t all his fault but this is a results business, and the numbers would suggest less than he’s worth.

you obviously can’t give him what he originally wanted, you can’t just continue to let talented players walk either 

i guess it’s good news. I figured earlier in the season that tagging him may get ugly. Now I’m guessing he’d probably rather bet on himself for a season. He could still get a major pay day in free agency but probably not max value.

6 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Tag and trade him if we can get anything worthwhile. He is decent but he isn't anywhere near top of the league and does not deserve top of the league money. If someone else wants to pay him that then trade and unload him like last nights overly spicy dinner after having 3 cups of coffee and a bran muffin.

Agree with the tag trade. Use the money to extend Brown, Luvu, and see if YGM can come cheap. I’d like to make a run at Chase Young, but he is probably pricey. Someone like Za’Darius Smith could be a nice placeholder. Of course weapons and OL need to be a priority. 

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Growl said:

Tag seems inevitable. He’s not earned a major contract this season. It isn’t all his fault but this is a results business, and the numbers would suggest less than he’s worth.

you obviously can’t give him what he originally wanted, you can’t just continue to let talented players walk either 

i guess it’s good news. I figured earlier in the season that tagging him may get ugly. Now I’m guessing he’d probably rather bet on himself for a season. He could still get a major pay day in free agency but probably not max value.

I think he is likely to refuse to sign if tagged. He bet on himself this season too and it was an absolute disaster for his market value. Better off shutting it down and forcing a move on our part. 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Agree with the tag trade. Use the money to extend Brown, Luvu, and see if YGM can come cheap. I’d like to make a run at Chase Young, but he is probably pricey. Someone like Za’Darius Smith could be a nice placeholder. Of course weapons and OL need to be a priority. 

I would like to see if we could get Chase Young if he turns out to not be extremely expensive myself. If he stays healthy he is quite a player.