• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reasons to be optimistic about the 2024 offense

MHS831

I will just bullet some things that I saw that are very encouraging signs:

1. Tommy Tremble showed that he can be a starting TE.  His routes were crisp, and we know what he can do as a blocker.  It moved.

2. Our problems all year on the OL have been at G.  G is an easy position to effectively address.  Christensen, Corbett, and Zavala (potential is there) have been injured.  I saw some fire from Cade Mays--it was as if the light came on a bit.   

3.  At T, Ickey needs some coaching---I thought Campen was going to be great--he has not been.  Does that mean he is not an experienced coach?  No, but it does mean that he is not a good fit in this system and he is probably not a good communicator with this particular group of players--and he has had some injuries, but I see Ickey's lack of development as a reason to let him go.

4.  Moten will count $30m against the cap next season, and frankly, at 30 and playing RT, I do not see that happening.   I think BC can play RT, and although he may not be quite as good, we could bring in a stud RG in free agency (I think Corbett is probably done?)  and maybe a stud DL.

5. It takes most WRs a year or two to develop, so I am very bullish on Smith-Marsette and Mingo.  We need Theilen in the slot for another season.  Chark had a good game, but he needs 2 more before I give him a contract.  We need a true #1.

We need some depth on the OL, a RG, some coaching, and maybe another TE.

That sounds like a lot, but if Tremble can step up and be a weapon at TE, if someone can teach Ekwonu some mechanics, if we can get a stud RG, and if we add an elite WR, I see the offense getting better.  And we need a coach who can scheme to Bryce's skill set. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

Ickey did ok yesterday, but still struggles in pass blocking.  Hopefully, it will improve.  

Brady Christensen coming back next year will help a lot with the guards, assuming he can stay healthy.  

It's going to be up to Ickey how good he becomes.  Whoever that coach is, needs to challenge him to be great.  I remember seeing/reading something along the lines of it's really up to Ickey how good he wants to be.  He's got all the tools, but this season is part scheme (he's not a zone guy at OT); but a larger part is himself.  He's got to put in the work.

Hopefully year three we see a lot of growth from Ickey.  If he's able to get better, it's only going to make the entire line better.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Ickey did ok yesterday, but still struggles in pass blocking.  Hopefully, it will improve.  

Brady Christensen coming back next year will help a lot with the guards, assuming he can stay healthy.  

He is playing with limited technique and doing OK--when he gets some technique, as you say, it should improve.

I think we can rely heavily on AT, Mingo and ISM IN 2024. I think ISM is young enough to be the eventual slot replacement for Thielen after ‘24. Mingo can have that AJ Brown trajectory and be good….potentially really good in a year or two.

Landing Higgins would be huge and then getting another game changing offensive weapon in R2 is paramount.

I do agree that Tremble has improved enough to see if another year with a more competent coaching staff can etch his name in pen rather than pencil long-term. He plays with purpose and a chip on his shoulder….we need that.

IOL is on the roster, IMO. Two of BC, Mays, Zavala & Icky can hold down the two IOL spots. Maybe Icky and BC swap spots and we’re set. I’m not banking on it, but it’s a possibility. Regardless, our first two picks should be WR & OL. 

Bring in Higgins & Madiubuike in FA. 

Edited by Soul Rebel
  • Pie 2

The offense has looked better and better each week since the firing of Reich, McCown, and Staley. I truly think that it was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen and Bryce was just overwhelmed from the start and now that we have coaches that are all on the same page you start to see Bryce improving. 

I agree. I’m not hopeful for a playoff spot but if we are just 3-4 starting spots away from being 7-10 type ball club if who we have under contract next year continue to develop. Xavier Worthy of Troy Fautana are my favorite prospects at 33 unless someone drastically falls. Speedster or a starting guard for Bryce’s tenure here. Now just lock but Brown/ Luvu and trade Burns for to a contender for a late first rounder 

Edited by PappyMay
I can’t type well

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

1. Tommy Tremble showed that he can be a starting TE.  His routes were crisp, and we know what he can do as a blocker.  It moved.

2. Our problems all year on the OL have been at G.  G is an easy position to effectively address.  Christensen, Corbett, and Zavala (potential is there) have been injured.  I saw some fire from Cade Mays--it was as if the light came on a bit.   

3.  At T, Ickey needs some coaching---I thought Campen was going to be great--he has not been.  Does that mean he is not an experienced coach?  No, but it does mean that he is not a good fit in this system and he is probably not a good communicator with this particular group of players--and he has had some injuries, but I see Ickey's lack of development as a reason to let him go.

4.  Moten will count $30m against the cap next season, and frankly, at 30 and playing RT, I do not see that happening.   I think BC can play RT, and although he may not be quite as good, we could bring in a stud RG in free agency (I think Corbett is probably done?)  and maybe a stud DL.

5. It takes most WRs a year or two to develop, so I am very bullish on Smith-Marsette and Mingo.  We need Theilen in the slot for another season.  Chark had a good game, but he needs 2 more before I give him a contract.  We need a true #1.

That sounds like a lot, but if Tremble can step up and be a weapon at TE, if someone can teach Ekwonu some mechanics, if we can get a stud RG, and if we add an elite WR, I see the offense getting better.  And we need a coach who can scheme to Bryce's skill set. 

Splash some cash at Higgins in FA and draft best Guard at 33. Then try and get Curtis Samuel back from the Commanders. That’s how I’d try address the O this off season 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Smith-Marsette has made Shenault expendable.  Shenault is a true 'tweener and is neither an elite RB nor WR.  Smith-Marsette is a slot guy and with more reps should take over Thielen's spot with the occasional gadget play in the running game.

Move him to RB Cordarelle Patterson style. Making Miles Sanders the expendable one 

Edited by Aussie Tank

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Cutting/Trading Moton is 19m in dead cap space and only 5m in savings not worth it.

• Pie 3