• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honorable Mentions- Meet the Candidate- Bonus Round

ProcessBlue2

Just in case anyone missed the 12, here is the list:

1. Frank Smith

2. Jim Harbaugh

3. Ben Johnson

4. Bobby Slowik

5. Dan Quinn

6. Kellen Moore

7. Brian Callahan

8. Ejiro Evero

9. Chris Tabor

10. Shane Waldron

11. Mike Macdonald

12. Brian Johnson

I will probably throw together one more thread after this within the next week and look at all the potential openings for HCs. Once the season ends, I'll probably build a thread and we can rank all of the openings and discuss the best possible HC matches once all the firings/retirements have happened.

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my medical issue on the other thread. I broke a femur and while it is healing and I am recovering well, the time confined to the house is actually the most painful part, so it is nice to have something like this to share and exchange thoughts and opinions. 

Honorable Mentions

Bill Belichick, HC- New England Patriots:

I really don’t think this is going to happen but man… I can’t rule it out. I can totally see some universe where Carolina is left with the “bottom-of-the-barrel” type candidates and Belichick is just sitting out there. Like the only two people on the floor without a dance partner looking across at each other… I think I would just retire if I was Bill though.

Really though, bringing in Bill would still be Tepper’s best hire so far. We would probably get a Bill O’ Brien/ Bryce Young reunion (Yay, I guess) and we would probably get about two. 500 seasons before Bill went on his way. BUT I do think there would be some benefit there. I think he can bring a lot of guidance to the front office on how to not look like rodeo clowns. I do think he would break through this pervasive layer of softness we see among the players. (The past few years have yielded some of the softest Panther teams I’ve ever seen). The social media team would probably get knocked down a notch or two as well. I don’t see Bill letting them run up likes and inflate the value of a player because he has some cool saying if he is trying to mentally beat into submission.

Overall, it may not be that bad. He would be trying to break Shula’s record as fast as possible so he can go rest on a hill somewhere (He will be 72 next season) so there would be motivation.

Jim Caldwell, Actual OC- Carolina Panthers:

Yeah, I said it. You all know it too; you just don’t want to discredit Thomas Brown. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the offense started changing as soon as Caldwell could touch it. Before you say it, yeah, I know- Thomas Brown was probably at the mercy of Frank’s scheme (even though Brown assembled the playbook- wink wink). It’s okay though, Frazier and Brown are learning under Caldwell and I am sure they have something to do with the improvements too…

Anyways, I must throw Jim’s name in the HMs because well it is possible. I think Tabor and Evero have better chances of those on the staff even though Jim has a 62-50 NFL record and conference championship (Yeah, I know his QB was Peyton Manning). Caldwell will be 69 in about 3 weeks and while I don’t see him becoming the HC anywhere, I wouldn’t rule out him staying in the league in some type of capacity- Maybe a similar role as what he started the season as.

Mike Kafka, OC- New York Giants:

Kafka interviewed with the Panthers for the job last offseason. After the Giants had a surprising introductory season with its new staff, Kafka was on a few radars. He’s from Andy Reid’s tree, in his 30s, and is a former NFL QB, so he checks the boxes. However, after this embarrassing season from the Giants, it may do him good to sit this cycle out since I am sure interest has dropped since last year. He is also one of those I was talking about that may do themselves a favor by leaving to be the OC somewhere else. Daboll calls the plays in New York so Kafka could be open to joining a different staff as the play caller.

Then on the other hand, waiting until he is a hot commodity may not be the smartest decision. I took Kafka out of the main 12 when Macdonald started climbing up the betting odds ladder. If I had to throw one back in, it would probably be Kafka. (I really considered putting him in over Brian Johnson as well).

Todd Monken, OC- Baltimore Ravens:

Monken is an interesting candidate. The 57-year-old is having some success in his first year as OC for the Ravens, ranking 5th in total offense, 21st in passing, and 4th in rushing. For those unaware, he was the OC at the University of Georgia the last 3 years prior to joining the Ravens in 2023. He also has been in a few different OC roles in the NFL- some play calling, some not. He is also somebody that I think needs to possibly have another season. I could also see people just simply not being as interested because he is pushing 60. His only time as a HC came from 2013-2015 at Southern Miss and uh, it wasn't too good. While I think he will get some looks this year, I imagine next season is when he will really be the top of some lists- IF he can duplicate his success. 

The Not Happenings

Eric Bienemy, OC- Washington Commanders:

I know there are so many people pulling for Eric, I am one of them. He is not the guy to come down here and fix the Panthers. Call it what you want, but him leaving Reid and going to the Commanders was supposed to showcase his ability as an actual play caller and it has done the opposite. I would rather go with whatever Caldwell/Brown has cooked up the last few weeks than what he has to offer. I do hope he gets another chance in an OC role though. Who knows, it may be in Carolina? But it won’t be in Carolina as Head Coach.

Nick Saban, HC- Alabama Crimson Tide:

There is a small group out there screaming for Tepper to pay Nick Saban to come to the Panthers and fix Bryce Young. You have a better chance of convincing Bill Cowher to come out of retirement in my opinion and thinking he would leave Alabama to come work for Tepper is truly outrageous.

Lincoln Riley, HC- USC Trojans:

This is about like the above. Riley isn’t coming to the Panthers, maybe he flirts with the idea of the NFL with some other team like the Chargers, but I doubt it.

Ron Rivera, HC- Washington Commanders

I know one of y’all is going to bring it up. No, just no.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

One minor correction is that Kafka has remained play caller in NY. There were rumors Daboll was calling them in late September but the staff refuted the claims. And I’m honestly a tad impressed what he was able to do what he’s done with that OL, WR and QB situation this year. They’re in a similar boat to us but without a potential franchise QB on the roster.

• Pie 1

On 12/27/2023 at 12:18 PM, ProcessBlue2 said:

Just in case anyone missed the 12, here is the list:

1. Frank Smith

2. Jim Harbaugh

3. Ben Johnson

4. Bobby Slowik

5. Dan Quinn

6. Kellen Moore

7. Brian Callahan

8. Ejiro Evero

9. Chris Tabor

10. Shane Waldron

11. Mike Macdonald

12. Brian Johnson

I will probably throw together one more thread after this within the next week and look at all the potential openings for HCs. Once the season ends, I'll probably build a thread and we can rank all of the openings and discuss the best possible HC matches once all the firings/retirements have happened.

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my medical issue on the other thread. I broke a femur and while it is healing and I am recovering well, the time confined to the house is actually the most painful part, so it is nice to have something like this to share and exchange thoughts and opinions. 

Honorable Mentions

Bill Belichick, HC- New England Patriots:

I really don’t think this is going to happen but man… I can’t rule it out. I can totally see some universe where Carolina is left with the “bottom-of-the-barrel” type candidates and Belichick is just sitting out there. Like the only two people on the floor without a dance partner looking across at each other… I think I would just retire if I was Bill though.

Really though, bringing in Bill would still be Tepper’s best hire so far. We would probably get a Bill O’ Brien/ Bryce Young reunion (Yay, I guess) and we would probably get about two. 500 seasons before Bill went on his way. BUT I do think there would be some benefit there. I think he can bring a lot of guidance to the front office on how to not look like rodeo clowns. I do think he would break through this pervasive layer of softness we see among the players. (The past few years have yielded some of the softest Panther teams I’ve ever seen). The social media team would probably get knocked down a notch or two as well. I don’t see Bill letting them run up likes and inflate the value of a player because he has some cool saying if he is trying to mentally beat into submission.

Overall, it may not be that bad. He would be trying to break Shula’s record as fast as possible so he can go rest on a hill somewhere (He will be 72 next season) so there would be motivation.

Jim Caldwell, Actual OC- Carolina Panthers:

Yeah, I said it. You all know it too; you just don’t want to discredit Thomas Brown. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the offense started changing as soon as Caldwell could touch it. Before you say it, yeah, I know- Thomas Brown was probably at the mercy of Frank’s scheme (even though Brown assembled the playbook- wink wink). It’s okay though, Frazier and Brown are learning under Caldwell and I am sure they have something to do with the improvements too…

Anyways, I must throw Jim’s name in the HMs because well it is possible. I think Tabor and Evero have better chances of those on the staff even though Jim has a 62-50 NFL record and conference championship (Yeah, I know his QB was Peyton Manning). Caldwell will be 69 in about 3 weeks and while I don’t see him becoming the HC anywhere, I wouldn’t rule out him staying in the league in some type of capacity- Maybe a similar role as what he started the season as.

Mike Kafka, OC- New York Giants:

Kafka interviewed with the Panthers for the job last offseason. After the Giants had a surprising introductory season with its new staff, Kafka was on a few radars. He’s from Andy Reid’s tree, in his 30s, and is a former NFL QB, so he checks the boxes. However, after this embarrassing season from the Giants, it may do him good to sit this cycle out since I am sure interest has dropped since last year. He is also one of those I was talking about that may do themselves a favor by leaving to be the OC somewhere else. Daboll calls the plays in New York so Kafka could be open to joining a different staff as the play caller.

Then on the other hand, waiting until he is a hot commodity may not be the smartest decision. I took Kafka out of the main 12 when Macdonald started climbing up the betting odds ladder. If I had to throw one back in, it would probably be Kafka. (I really considered putting him in over Brian Johnson as well).

Todd Monken, OC- Baltimore Ravens:

Monken is an interesting candidate. The 57-year-old is having some success in his first year as OC for the Ravens, ranking 5th in total offense, 21st in passing, and 4th in rushing. For those unaware, he was the OC at the University of Georgia the last 3 years prior to joining the Ravens in 2023. He also has been in a few different OC roles in the NFL- some play calling, some not. He is also somebody that I think needs to possibly have another season. I could also see people just simply not being as interested because he is pushing 60. His only time as a HC came from 2013-2015 at Southern Miss and uh, it wasn't too good. While I think he will get some looks this year, I imagine next season is when he will really be the top of some lists- IF he can duplicate his success. 

The Not Happenings

Eric Bienemy, OC- Washington Commanders:

I know there are so many people pulling for Eric, I am one of them. He is not the guy to come down here and fix the Panthers. Call it what you want, but him leaving Reid and going to the Commanders was supposed to showcase his ability as an actual play caller and it has done the opposite. I would rather go with whatever Caldwell/Brown has cooked up the last few weeks than what he has to offer. I do hope he gets another chance in an OC role though. Who knows, it may be in Carolina? But it won’t be in Carolina as Head Coach.

Nick Saban, HC- Alabama Crimson Tide:

There is a small group out there screaming for Tepper to pay Nick Saban to come to the Panthers and fix Bryce Young. You have a better chance of convincing Bill Cowher to come out of retirement in my opinion and thinking he would leave Alabama to come work for Tepper is truly outrageous.

Lincoln Riley, HC- USC Trojans:

This is about like the above. Riley isn’t coming to the Panthers, maybe he flirts with the idea of the NFL with some other team like the Chargers, but I doubt it.

Ron Rivera, HC- Washington Commanders

I know one of y’all is going to bring it up. No, just no.

Thank you for doing what 2023 reporters fail at!!!

• Pie 1

So would this team have a better future under an offensive HC who delegates defensive responsibilities to a strong DC, or vice versa?  Personally, I'm saying no thanks to another John Fox/Ron Rivera clone, however looking at our current situation, those are the only coaching era's that have shown any success, even if not sustained.  JFC, we're so fuged

27 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

My top-5:

1. Bobby Slowik

2. Ben Johnson

3. Ejiro Evero

4. Shane Waldron

5. Frank Smith

Respectable list, id throw Mike MacDonald on there as a 6th personally.. This is aligned with how I'm feeling Ben/Ejiro are like 2a/2b for me.

4 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

Not saying it will happen, but I have a feeling Joe Brady is going to end up with more interviews this cycle after the turnaround he's orchestrated in Buffalo. He's going to make that Ben Johnson like jump we saw last year. 

Wonder if Tepper would be interested in bringing him back.

I think I mentioned this before, I wouldn't be surprised to hear his name often this cycle.  ATP everyone knows he was scapegoated by Rhule.

23 hours ago, SaltAndPepper said:

I want us to look at Dave Canales… Genos coach during his resurgence and helped Baker too

I think Canales is being overlooked and is a big reason for TB holding things together. He’s a very bright and respected coach. I’ve been paying attention to him and Waldron for a bit now since the Reich cycle. 

Johnson, Canales, Waldron and Macdonald are my preferences. 

• Pie 1