• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

54 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I will say, I think Seattle, LAC, and LVR have different coaching types in mind compared to us so there's really 4 other teams vying for the same crop as us.  

NE also seems like they have a plan so I'm unsure if they're really pursuing the OC crop.  Mayo or Vrabel seem like possible candidates.

So it's the Titans, Falcons, & Commanders we're jostling with for our favorite guy.  Unfortunately, the Falcons have a nice roster but the Commanders and Titans aren't necessarily THAT great of rosters/situations.  

Factor in our reported pool has more than 4 decent candidates - Ben J, MacDonald, Canales, Slowik, Frank Smith...I think we're still in a spot to get a rather exciting hire.  

Our roster though..yeah, that's what needs more than some work.

Commanders are second best opening after Chargers imo. New absurdly wealthy owners, #2 overall pick in a great QB class and the roster isn't even too bad as it already is. There are pieces at WR and on the DL

6 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Tepper is worth 3 times Josh Harris for the record.

Chargers owners have tons of red flags. They are known for being super cheap etc. Chargers are only attractive for their QB, they are way over the cap and will have to get rid of some of their aging stars. It’s a good job, not sure if it’s great.

12 minutes ago, Martin said:

Chargers owners have tons of red flags. They are known for being super cheap etc. Chargers are only attractive for their QB, they are way over the cap and will have to get rid of some of their aging stars. It’s a good job, not sure if it’s great.

I think the Chargers will have a hard time landing a top guy unless they are willing to open their wallets. Staley was reportedly getting $4M/year, which is near the bottom of the league.

Basically, a coaching candidate like Ben Johnson would have to be willing to leave a LOT of money on the table to work for the Chargers instead of the Panthers.

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 2

28 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Commanders are second best opening after Chargers imo. New absurdly wealthy owners, #2 overall pick in a great QB class and the roster isn't even too bad as it already is. There are pieces at WR and on the DL

IDK, I think the WAS opening would appeal to me more. Full clean slate there with new Ownership and the ability to align everything from the top, down. A historic franchise with a lot of fandom as well.

A few young pieces on offense in Cosmi, Brown, Dotson and Robinson, Jr. The team has the choice to either commit to a young QB on a rookie deal or start fresh with Williams/Maye. Could move back too and still get Daniels. A couple of pieces on D like Payne, Forbes and a big asset in Jonathan Allen.

Combined with the #2 pick in the draft, a couple of seconds and close to $75M in cap space, I think that is the spot. 

LA makes sense, but I'd choose WAS over LA. Chargers will always be the Clippers and not the Lakers in that town compared to the Rams. 

• Pie 2

Teams with open GM slot are more attractive than just an open HC slot

Again, you are fooling yourself if you don't believe that Ben Johnson and his agent aren't picking the GM for the Panthers. It will be a package deal

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Martin said:

just guesses, but that’s what everyone is doing at this point

image.thumb.png.7798eda294dfc7eeb523814780d08429.png

• Commanders are a wildcard. I don't really know what they want. I know guys like Quinn are out since they would be a hard sell coming off a similar type in Rivera. They have the most attractive opening IMO.
  • Pats getting Vrabel seems like a no-brainer.
  • Chargers probably want someone with experience or an offensive minded HC. Harbaugh makes sense there.
  • I can't see Titans going for a defensive minded HC like MacDonald since they just fired one and commented about wanting to do things differently. I think they are looking at an offensive minded HC.
  • Falcons are reported to want a big fish and will likely steer clear of the hot shot OC class since they just fired Arthur who has a similar background. Belichick makes sense.
  • Raiders are either getting a big name or AP. Signing an up-and-coming coordinator over AP would not go over well.
  • Seahawks are a wildcard. Quinn makes sense at the moment.
  • Panthers are obviously looking for an innovative offensive mind for HC. I would be happy with Ben Johnson, Frank Smith, or Brian Callahan. I think Slowik and Canales need another year of seasoning.
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Teams with open GM slot are more attractive than just an open HC slot

Again, you are fooling yourself if you don't believe that Ben Johnson and his agent aren't picking the GM for the Panthers. It will be a package deal

We can only hope.

I've also hard the Peters/Slowik pairing for the Commanders which makes sense considering each have ties to SF/Shannahan.

3 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

We can only hope.

I've also hard the Peters/Slowik pairing for the Commanders which makes sense considering each have ties to SF/Shannahan.

I hope they go that route. Panthers wouldn't lose a GM candidate and would save themselves from possibly hiring a HC candidate that likely is a year away from being ready.

1 hour ago, Evil Hurney said:
  • Commanders are a wildcard. I don't really know what they want. I know guys like Quinn are out since they would be a hard sell coming off a similar type in Rivera. They have the most attractive opening IMO.
  • Pats getting Vrabel seems like a no-brainer.
  • Chargers probably want someone with experience or an offensive minded HC. Harbaugh makes sense there.
  • I can't see Titans going for a defensive minded HC like MacDonald since they just fired one and commented about wanting to do things differently. I think they are looking at an offensive minded HC.
  • Falcons are reported to want a big fish and will likely steer clear of the hot shot OC class since they just fired Arthur who has a similar background. Belichick makes sense.
  • Raiders are either getting a big name or AP. Signing an up-and-coming coordinator over AP would not go over well.
  • Seahawks are a wildcard. Quinn makes sense at the moment.
  • Panthers are obviously looking for an innovative offensive mind for HC. I would be happy with Ben Johnson, Frank Smith, or Brian Callahan. I think Slowik and Canales need another year of seasoning.

I can sign on with pretty much all of that.