• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Selling the job

Mr. Scot

I'd say we don't have a first this year so use it as an evaluation year for Bryce. If he's bad, then you get a top 5 pick in 2025 to draft the quarterback of your choice.

Otherwise there's not much you can really sell to someone trying to coach in this mess. Other than just totally giving them complete control and paying them a boatload of money.

I can't imagine tepper would agree to anyone trying to bring in and stsrt their own vet qb from free agency when we just drafted Bryce.  Even if he did have  a crappy rookie season so did Jared Goff before he got mcVay. 

I'd show them tape from that packers game and say fix the o line and Bryce can be a good qb with an adequate o line and good weapons. It's on you and the gm to give him those things to succeed . 

37 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I don't disagree with this, but that's what four and seven year contracts are supposed to do.  How has that worked out so far with Tupperware as our owner?

We are in an awful position.  I hope we can get a good coach, but I don't expect it.  

It is a truly awful position. Keeping Bryce is like trying to sell a house that’s still on fire, while telling prospective buyers that ‘it’s got good bones.’ 

No good coaching prospect that we get will be any better than Evero. Promote him, let him continue to run the defense and get a new OC. 

You've got to start with there's a big question at QB right now. You get to decide how to handle it.

Then step back and let them.

They can keep trying to develop Bryce, they can look for a free agent or they can use any draft pick we have on a candidate. Let the coach decide that.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Without an offer of non-interference, I'm not sure how good a candidate we're going to get.

Even if we do get a good coach, Tepper continuing to interfere may well sabotage him.

I don’t think we are blocking Tabor, Ejiro, etc from jobs because they got realistic odds of competing for the HC job.  Think that’s Tepper wanting to influence his next coach’s staff….again. 

• Pie 1

Other than more money, a guaranteed amount of seasons to turn it around, and autonomy to pick players, I don't believe there's anything that could be offered that would entice someone to make Charlotte home.

Edited by top dawg

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don’t think we are blocking Tabor, Ejiro, etc from jobs because they got realistic odds of competing for the HC job.  Think that’s Tepper wanting to influence his next coach’s staff….again. 

Clearly this is a recipe for success. I mean hey, when you're 31-68 overall and you brought live music to Charlotte - why not continue to show everybody how smart you are. When it's said and done - Tepper will be hated more than George Shinn in this city.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You gotta put that in writing.

if a promise of non-interference isn't included in the contract, we're likely to be a very tough If an owner wants to ask a coach how it’s going he can.  If an owner wants to have a meeting with the coach he can.  That’s true everywhere. 

Not happening and ridiculous to think that.  
An owner, owns the team and pays the bills, they aren’t giving up final say if they want it.  
They might choose to defer but to put it writing is unlikely.

Also, what kind of intervene are we talking? Weekly meeting with the coach? Going to pro day? That’s not too crazy.

Making draft picks and free agency decisions? How often did he really do that? 

28 minutes ago, CRA said:

Unfortunately, I'd agree.

But let's say they do let the new head coach decide on his own staff and he doesn't want Tabor or Evero. Then we've effectively prevented them from getting other jobs while not retaining them ourselves.

It's kind of a dick move either way.

Just now, AU-panther said:

Not happening and ridiculous to think that.  
An owner, owns the team and pays the bills, they aren’t giving up final say if they want it.  
They might choose to defer but to put it writing is unlikely.

Also, what kind of intervene are we talking? Weekly meeting with the coach? Going to pro day? That’s not too crazy.

Making draft picks and free agency decisions? How often did he really do that? 

He certainly has the right to do that.

And in response, the best available candidates - or basically anyone with other options - has the right to say "kiss my ass, dumbsh-t".

4 hours ago, onmyown said:

I’d imagine people talk in the NFL. People know what’s going on here and it’s bad. Coaches and players (Stafford) were already declining coming here. That was before this season.

Money is the only, single selling point.

We will not be getting a top candidate, time to accept that now.

Thanks, I had forgotten how Stafford was  every bit as bad as Bryce his first year, if not worse. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He certainly has the right to do that.

And in response, the best available candidates - or basically anyone with other options - has the right to say "kiss my ass, dumbsh-t".

Exactly how many draft picks di Tepper come up on his own? How many free agent decisions were his idea from the start?

To be honest, most of this drama is overplayed, hopefully the perspective coaches will see through that.  I will say though that at times perception can become greater than reality and do hope that doesn’t happen. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Exactly how many draft picks di Tepper come up on his own? How many free agent decisions were his idea from the start?

To be honest, most of this drama is overplayed, hopefully the perspective coaches will see through that.

Yeah, sure.

Likewise, I'm certain that whole "asking whether people will tell us to @#$& off before officially putting in an interview request" thing was because Tepper was worried about having to beat potential candidates off with a stick 😕